Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Parts for adding integrated Nokia 6310i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C-Class
d2b problem

OK, I am still having problems with my installation kit on my 2002 c240. I believe it may be a d2b problem. I plugged in the open d2b plug in the trunk into the PSE unit (all other connections seem to be correct.) I still have message 'NO PHONE.' So I try unplugging the Bose amp d2b connector and plug that into the PSE unit. This works, but of course I do not have audio. So is there a d2b loop problem with the open connector? Am I missing something? I checked the service diagnostics (mute, #1, #3,) and all d2b connections match. I also checked the phone line in the back of the head unit and that is also correct. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
You need to physically connect the D2B loop for that plug

Ie, its a loop, and the other end of the fibre that you are plugging in needs to be put in the loop.

Have a look behind the headunit for a spare D2B plug.

You will need to carefully open both connectors , swop one cable over from each and splice the spare cables together with a special splice that you can get from the dealer

If youve got a C class, you'll find some of the loop in under the black cover that runs across the trunk just behind the rear seat under the cover

Find the article by Richard Gleason (rgleason) about fitting phone to C class, he describes it there

Cheers

R
Old 05-01-2003, 01:47 PM

2006 E55
Can anyone tell me where I can find the install kit for the Nokia 6510i phone? I've about given up on the MB branded phones. Thanks,
Old 05-01-2003, 02:39 PM

C240 2002
Originally posted by E430guy
Can anyone tell me where I can find the install kit for the Nokia 6510i phone? I've about given up on the MB branded phones. Thanks,
If you mean the 6310i phone, you can check this link for install instructions: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=rgleason
...and you can purchase most of the parts from: Speed8467@aol.com (SPEED-AUTOTEILE in Germany). The install bracket can be purchased at clairparts.com (tell them you want the internet price) and if you want the compensator (to boast the signal -- I didn't use it) to can get it there also.

Dick Gleason
Old 05-01-2003, 02:50 PM

2006 E55
Yup, I meant the 6310i phone. Thanks for the info on the source. Did you install one of these on your own? If so, how did it go and are you happy with the phone? Thanks again,
Old 05-01-2003, 03:23 PM

C240 2002
Yup, I meant the 6310i phone. Thanks for the info on the source. Did you install one of these on your own? If so, how did it go and are you happy with the phone? Thanks again,
Yes, I did the install myself and everything works fine except that GSM still doesn't have full coverage in my area. Reminds me of when cell phones were new and coverage was spotty.

If you are in a major metropolitan area you should have no problem.

Dick
Old 05-01-2003, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Note that there is a new cradle .. see article

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=36866

which tells you the new cradle part numbers for various cars and some other information

R
Old 05-01-2003, 06:05 PM

2006 E55
Richard, Thank you for the info.

I gather that I will need the CLK/C class parts for my 1999 E430. Do I have that right?

Also, I plan to install the phone in my center console so I take it I'll not need the cradle holder. Is this correct?

Finally, since I do not (yet) have Command installed in my car, will I not be able to dial using the key pad on my radio?

While I'm generally very capable mechanically, having read through Dick Gleason's 5 page single spaced typed, 15 point step by step installation instructions, I'm beginning to wonder if this install is maybe a lot to take on. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rank this job?

Thank you,
Old 05-01-2003, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I gather that I will need the CLK/C class parts for my 1999 E430. Do I have that right?
Yes, Id use the C/CLK cradle, and you do need the cradle holder A230 823 00 60 as the cradle clips into that. (it allows you to take the cradle out and have a private conversation)
You should buy the cradle that is designed for the centre console (or the cable will be too long and generally get in the way)

Its not difficult if youve ever pulled door panels (or such like) of a car.

R
Old 05-01-2003, 06:31 PM

2006 E55
Thanks Richard. I'll give it a go.

thanks,
Old 05-01-2003, 10:03 PM

2002 C-Class
OK, thanks for all the help, I have got the phone working! Just one more thing. I do not believe I have the antenna booster connected correctly. My reception is poor and the person on the other end loses me. I have three antenna cables in the trunk. One male connector with a small wire attached and two female connectors with a heavier wire attached. One of the female wires runs to the back bumper and the other two run toward the front of the vehicle. Which wires connect to the two male connections on the booster? Is one supposed to be unnattached? Thanks

FYI...My d2b loop problem was corrected when I removed a panel behind the rear seat, just in front of the spare tire well. There I found where I connected the phone into the loop. I will take pics to post once I get everything working properly. Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:57 PM

2006 E55
Hey jersey,

was the phone kit installation a complete pain?
Old 05-02-2003, 12:10 AM

2002 C-Class
If I could get the antenna wires hooked up correctly and working properly, the job would be done. It wasn't too bad. The worst part was tying the phone into the optical loop. I've read the forums and recieved good advice, but I drew up the conclusion that it all depends on what options you have where to find the splice for the optical loop. I removed the head unit a couple of times for no reason at all. I have the COMAND center and also the Bose premium sound. All I had to do was remove a panel in the trunk to find where all the fiber optics connected. I will post pics and my "how to" version when I get it working properly.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by jersey44
[B]Is one supposed to be unnattached? Thanks
Was the booster there, or is it something you added ?

You really need a splitter not a booster. This shares the aerial between the Teleaid and the Phone.

So one of those cables goes to teleaid, one to the phone, and one to the aerial in the back bumper.

If you have no teleaid, work out which one of those cables is running to the connector on the phone cradle, and connect it straight to the aerial.

If you do have teleaid, then the splitter will have some marks on it to show which goes to the aerial, and which goes to the phones (or it will have 1 connector of one sex, and 2 of another)

A booster will have a power feed aswell - which is more difficult to work out with the European phone system (but not impossible!)

Richard
Old 05-02-2003, 08:19 AM

C240 2002
Originally posted by Richard
Was the booster there, or is it something you added ?
You really need a splitter not a booster. This shares the aerial between the Teleaid and the Phone.
In the later model C-Classes, you need a switch not a splitter. The switch makes an electronic connection to either the car phone or the Teleaid. I didn't use the compensator (booster) in my install based in part on your suggestion, Richard. The compensator is difficult to use in a US Mercedes with the European PSE because the 25 pin connector is the wrong gender. If necessary, I guess a 25 pin gender changer (with all pins wired straight through) could be used. But that's a real pain!

So one of those cables goes to teleaid, one to the phone, and one to the aerial in the back bumper.

If you have no teleaid, work out which one of those cables is running to the connector on the phone cradle, and connect it straight to the aerial.

If you do have teleaid, then the splitter will have some marks on it to show which goes to the aerial, and which goes to the phones (or it will have 1 connector of one sex, and 2 of another)

A booster will have a power feed aswell - which is more difficult to work out with the European phone system (but not impossible!)

Richard [/B]

Last edited by rgleason; 05-02-2003 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:34 AM

C240 2002
If I could get the antenna wires hooked up correctly and working properly, the job would be done. It wasn't too bad. The worst part was tying the phone into the optical loop. I've read the forums and recieved good advice, but I drew up the conclusion that it all depends on what options you have where to find the splice for the optical loop. I removed the head unit a couple of times for no reason at all. I have the COMAND center and also the Bose premium sound. All I had to do was remove a panel in the trunk to find where all the fiber optics connected. I will post pics and my "how to" version when I get it working properly.
Read point #8 in this post: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=rgleason

That describes the antenna wiring. Let me brief you on what I remember here: in a C240 with Teleaid and no cell phone, the antenna wire (coming out of the right side wall behind the wheel well) is wired to the Teleaid. The connection is probably covered by a piece of black felt. Unscrew those connections and tie the piece coming out of the wall into the in-jack on the antenna switch. Tie the Teleaid wire to the Teleaid port on the switch. The antenna wire that was burried behind the wheel well with the 25 pin cable and all should be wired to the phone port on the antenna switch (or to the phone port on the compensator if you use it, see the next point). If you are using the compensator, you need to run the phone cable to the out port on the compensator and plug the phone wire from the switch into the compensator.

Hope this makes sense.

Dick
Old 05-02-2003, 12:23 PM

2006 E55
You guys are NOT building my confidence for this install!
Old 05-02-2003, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You guys are NOT building my confidence for this install!
Dont worry. The splitter and the switch actually have an identical function (ie to allow 2 devices to connect to one aerial) - a switch is actually better as it will isolate one device from the other - which is presumably why MB have changed from using splitters on older cars to switches on newer cars

R
Old 07-30-2003, 05:23 AM

W203 C SportsCoupe
Hello Richard,
I have MY W203 C180K coupe,Standard Audio 10+ CD w/o Tele aidChanger,RHD.
The phone and command options are not available here.
I am exploring if I can use the parts that you have put up in the forum to install the Nokia phone ,we use GSM 900/1800 system.
I am not even sure if the cars here are pre wired for phones at all.

Any help appreciated.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:36 PM
Almost a Member!

What about W211

Has anyone tried this on a 03- W211 car? I took a peak under the passenger seat of my 03 E320 and it looks like there is some sort of junction box there with two empty slots that something would plug into. I didn't see any extra wires or wires that lead up to the center console storage unit or to the rear of the car (of course these could all be hidden under the carpet).

Anyone, anyone?
Old 08-10-2003, 05:11 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Eddie,

I have just bought an 03 E55 with the V60 from the factory (I actually did not want to pay 2K for the phone and the voice control, but it was in the car already). Since the V60 is old technology (TDMA), I would like to install a Nokia GSM phone to replace the V60. I have the car at the dealer (pulling to the right) and will get it back Tuesday. I will be investigating this change, and more than likely trying to do this change in the next few weeks. I will post the results. I have already asked about potential issues with installing this phone. I will be with a German Friend later on this week and we will be calling Germany to make sure this is actually a possibility (i.e. does this car have a DB2 bus?). I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
The W211 has a MOST ring...not a D2B ring...and as far as Nokia 6310i in a W211 goes, make sure that you get a PSE with the third generation software since the previous 2 software versions on these PSEs in the W211 don't work properly and that will result in errors...guess what one sees offered on german ebay all the time?

greetingz,
Old 08-11-2003, 12:34 PM

C240 2002
OK, thanks for all the help, I have got the phone working! Just one more thing. I do not believe I have the antenna booster connected correctly. My reception is poor and the person on the other end loses me. I have three antenna cables in the trunk. One male connector with a small wire attached and two female connectors with a heavier wire attached. One of the female wires runs to the back bumper and the other two run toward the front of the vehicle. Which wires connect to the two male connections on the booster? Is one supposed to be unnattached? Thanks

FYI...My d2b loop problem was corrected when I removed a panel behind the rear seat, just in front of the spare tire well. There I found where I connected the phone into the loop. I will take pics to post once I get everything working properly. Thanks again.
The antenna wires should hook together as follows:

The wire running out of the rear side panel hooks into the in feed on the antenna switch. The cell phone port from the switch screws into the in-feed on the compensator and the out feed hooks up to the cell phone wire. The other wire from the switch hooks up to the teleaid.

Dick
Old 08-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by MBenzNL
The W211 has a MOST ring...not a D2B ring...and as far as Nokia 6310i in a W211 goes, make sure that you get a PSE with the third generation software since the previous 2 software versions on these PSEs in the W211 don't work properly and that will result in errors...guess what one sees offered on german ebay all the time?

greetingz,
Thanks for all the great info, Steve. I've emailed you through this board because I had some specific questions regarding my W211, as I want to see if I can do this retrofit myself.

If you don't get the info, would you mind shooting me an email at lakerholic@yahoo.com? I'm a bit confused as to how the PSE works, and how the UHE that I've read about works. I saw some of this on "Wolfgang's ML Page" (http://www.whnet.com/4x4/phones.html) that I found on the 'net, and it just added to my confusion!
Old 08-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Ok, almost two weeks w/o a response. Can anyone help in this matter?

Thanks in advance!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Parts for adding integrated Nokia 6310i