Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Deceptive Advertising?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 2002
Deceptive Advertising?

I am looking for options on getting an integrated phone system in my C240, e.g., a Mercedes V60, a Timeport, and even installing the Nokia 6310 using the European parts that Richard lists in a number of his posts.

I've been searching ebay for Mercedes V60s or Timeports, and I came across this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1379144821

I wrote the person listing the phone and asked if the phone is actually a Mercedes V60, and I got back the following response (I won't provide the person's email identity to protect the innocent or the guilty, whatever he or she may be):

"RE: Item # 1379144821"
"it can work for the benz but it does not have the benz logo on it"

Sounds kind of "fishy" doesn't it? If I'm guessing right, this person is telling a partial truth. Any phone can work in any car. This person is implying that it will work with the steering wheel controls, and all. Not possible unless it has the Mercedes software, right?

I don't know for sure, but this appears deceptive. Creative, but deceptive, and I thought it worth posting this warning. Be careful!
Old 09-09-2002, 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
If it doesn't have the Mercedes-Benz logo on it, then chances are it will not work. If I were you, I would get the serial number of the phone and then call up Motorola to find out if the phone is indeed equipped for integration on a Mercedes-Benz.

The MB phones have special firm-ware that is inside of them which enables it to be integrated into a Mercedes-Benz, and all Mercedes-Benz branded phones do infact have the logo on it regardless of whether it is a V60, StarTac, etc.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:10 AM

C240 2002
Thanks

Originally posted by Accord
If it doesn't have the Mercedes-Benz logo on it, then chances are it will not work. If I were you, I would get the serial number of the phone and then call up Motorola to find out if the phone is indeed equipped for integration on a Mercedes-Benz.

The MB phones have special firm-ware that is inside of them which enables it to be integrated into a Mercedes-Benz, and all Mercedes-Benz branded phones do infact have the logo on it regardless of whether it is a V60, StarTac, etc.
Thanks, John. When I wrote this message I was prettty certain that the phone wouldn't integrate with a late model Mercedes. The person who posted the auction was, however, implying that it would. My intent was to warn readers so that they didn't get taken avantage of. I wrote the message quickly and probably wasn't as clear as I should have been. Thanks for your response and the information, however.

Dick
Old 09-09-2002, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
QUESTION TO SELLER?

.........Did this phone come from a mercedes vehicle or did you purchase the car from a mercedes dealer. Mercedes V60 phones have special software inside the phones that allows them to work with the car. NO, NO other phones DO NOT AND CANNOT Be installed with this software. So I want to buy your phone, but I want to make sure you certain about what you are claiming. IF you did not buy the phone from a mercedes dealer or remove the phone from a mercedes vehicle..........the answer is No, it does not work with mercedes hands free kit. Please kindly be more clear.

ANSWER

This will not be the one you are looking for....
Old 09-10-2002, 08:49 AM

C240 2002
Good Questions, Thanks

I appreciate your suggestion. Good questions. Thanks!

Dick