Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Price for iPod Kit Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price for iPod Kit Install

I just came back from the dealer. They said the cost for installation (not including parts) of an iPod Integration Kit on a 2007 E350 is $600.00. They claim its a 5 hour job.

Is that reasonable? Sounds pretty high to me.

Does anyone have any experience with an iPod kit install by anyone other than a dealer in South Florida?

Alternatively, are there any online instructions for install of the kit on an E350? I did an aux input in my previous car (G35) which was pretty involved but there very good directions online.

I would appreciate any advice.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:35 AM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by squarepants
. . . I would appreciate any advice.
My advice is to get a $5 cord and plug your Ipod into the AUX jack in the glove box. Then you will have $595 left over to spend on other stuff.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:38 AM

2003 E500
4-5 hours is about right. They have to run cables from the trunk to the dash (there's your time right there).

Cyclerider has a good point, if you're just looking to get the sound into the system use the Aux in. If you want the info on the console and to use the steering wheel controls you'll need to go the adapter kit route.

I am personally planning on doing the kit installation myself when I have a free Saturday.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:56 PM

I hear your point, it is exactly what I thought when I got the car. Its got an AUX input, who needs the kit?

But after using the AUX input for a month it is just too inconvenient. You need a long cable that will stretch from the glove compartment, across the passenger seat to the center console. The iPod rattles around the console and gets scratched. If you want to control the iPod, its hard to do while driving. You can just leave the iPod playing in the glove compartment but then I always forget to turn it off manually when I shut off the car which runs down the iPod's battery.

In short, $600 is a lot of money for this. But if it gets me a little convenience every day for the next 4 years, its worth it to me. I spend a lot of time in the car.

Anyways, I put in a call to my salesperson and he called me back to tell me they can do it for $650 including parts so I think I will go with it.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 AM

Harley-Davidson
I didn't mention it earlier, but since I got SIRIUS activated, I haven't used my Ipod once!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL350, 2015 750i
I got sunman (a member here based in Houston) to do mine and he charged $400 (I think... it was done months ago) which included the kit and installation. This was in an 06 ML however.

Last edited by chinhster; 11-15-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by cyclerider
I didn't mention it earlier, but since I got SIRIUS activated, I haven't used my Ipod once!
I know what you mean. But I like the SIRIUS mostly for talk (Howard Stern, CNN, NPR, ESPN, etc.) For music I much prefer my iPod
Old 11-18-2006, 03:41 PM

I looked into the Ipod integration kit, but it was too expensive. I went with the Aux. input. You can obtain the aux input cable from the dealer for about $50 + tax. I just posted installation instructions on this forum, it’s titled “Ipod install using Aux. input W/ pics!" check it out.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The Ipod Kit takes about an hour on a C class, but it really does take 4+ on an E class. Getting that dash apart is the devils work to be sure!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:02 PM

04 C320 Coupe MT
Originally Posted by Moviela
The Ipod Kit takes about an hour on a C class, but it really does take 4+ on an E class. Getting that dash apart is the devils work to be sure!
The dash isn't too bad, however I believe the interface control unit is mounted in the trunk, so there is taking the trim out of the trund and the entire right side sill area to fit the wiring into. Not too bad to do, however the dealer won't do it cheap!
Old 11-22-2006, 06:10 AM
mhh

2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
I got the dealer to install the ipod kit in my E500 Wagon and I'm underwhelmed by it. The sound (with HK) is pretty ordinary and the volume needs to be cranked right up to hear it - switching back to CD or radio just about blows your eardrums. Maybe there is a trick to setting the volume that I don't know about.

And the track scrolling is the wrong way around - click the down arrow on the steering wheel to get the next track - opposite to the CD.

Overall, a waste of money.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by painkiller
You can obtain the aux input cable from the dealer for about $50 + tax. I just posted installation instructions on this forum, it’s titled “Ipod install using Aux. input W/ pics!" check it out.
Not sure what you mean by "aux input cable." I have an aux nput jack in the glove compartment. The cable to connect that to my iPod was $5.00 at Radio Shack (an I probably overpaid).

My problem is that I keep forgetting to manually turn the darn thing off when I stop the car and it drains the battery (on the iPod) as it just keeps playing.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by chinhster
This was in an 06 ML however.
the ML Ipod kit install is NOT to e compared with the Ipod kit install in a CLS or E-class

E-class Ipod kit install: 2 to 3 hours MAX! If it takes anylonger - the tech should do something about his mechanical skills
600USD sounds right when it INCLUDES the actual Ipod kit

greetingz,
Old 11-29-2006, 03:46 PM

06 C230WZ
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
the ML Ipod kit install is NOT to e compared with the Ipod kit install in a CLS or E-class

E-class Ipod kit install: 2 to 3 hours MAX! If it takes anylonger - the tech should do something about his mechanical skills
600USD sounds right when it INCLUDES the actual Ipod kit

greetingz,

What has been the typical dealer charge installing this kit in a 2006 C-Class which I read here as being fairly straightfoward? And what does the kit itself cost? Thanks.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
I am going for a iPOD adaptor kit by the dealer very soon.
The full integration, as I saw in a Benz car show, will provide
a true IPOD adaptor plug, iPOD tray and fulle control of your IPOD on the steering wheel plus display the song names on the console main LCD panel.
Our price will be high here, will keep you guys posted.