Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Dension Gateway 500 Experiences?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220.170/Beech Bonanza/1964 Mercury 427 convertible/ Old Chevy Pick-Up
Dension Gateway 500 Experiences?

I'm very interested in the Dension Gateway 500 for my 2000 S430. MaxxCount.de offers this product, ready for immediate shipping to the US, for just under $500.

It looks like the best possible solution for integration of an iPod, notebook computer or any other audio device into my otherwise satisfactory D2B COMAND 2.5. It also appears to have video output for the addition of video monitors.

Does anyone have experience with this product or with MaxxCount.de?
Old 11-19-2006, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by flybeech
I'm very interested in the Dension Gateway 500 for my 2000 S430. MaxxCount.de offers this product, ready for immediate shipping to the US, for just under $500.

It looks like the best possible solution for integration of an iPod, notebook computer or any other audio device into my otherwise satisfactory D2B COMAND 2.5. It also appears to have video output for the addition of video monitors.

The 500 is about the same as the Icelink AUX that once sold for D2B cars such as your model. The MOST version is not out just yet.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by flybeech

.............I have one, but am yet to install it. It is an improvement over the ice-link in that, you do not loose your CD changer. There is a switch that allows you to switch from IPOD to CD changer. Also there is much imprived control of the ipod from the buttons on your comand as well as steering wheel control. You can view play lists etc. It also has inputs for USB connection as well as RCA type A/V input. There is an RCA type video out for rear screen video monitors. There is no video input to your comand.

Ted
Old 11-24-2006, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.............I have one, but am yet to install it. It is an improvement over the ice-link in that, you do not loose your CD changer. There is a switch that allows you to switch from IPOD to CD changer. Also there is much imprived control of the ipod from the buttons on your comand as well as steering wheel control. You can view play lists etc. It also has inputs for USB connection as well as RCA type A/V input. There is an RCA type video out for rear screen video monitors. There is no video input to your comand.

Ted
Please let us know how it goes after installation, Ted. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:39 AM

R171 & W211
Does this Gateway500 possible to use with AUDIO-20? I'm using 200SLK 2005

Can we use the steering wheel button to control the iPod?

Thank You for your help
Old 02-17-2007, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by R171_Monster

Thank You for your help
Best source for this information is probably Dension Europe. Contact through http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php
Old 02-17-2007, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by R171_Monster

Thank You for your help
If its the one on the Pic, No because that is a newer MOST car. Those units unfortunately haven't become available yet.
The D2b version have been available for a while.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:41 PM

have anybody tried to install it yet ?

Hi,

I have installed a icelink plus to my 00 S430 2 years ago. It is a d2b system.
I would like to get some information and I tried International Dension site. But they are not replying to support tickets and e-mails. I would like to upgrade to Gateway 500. What I would like to know is, If I buy Gateway 500 from a German site, should I change the whole cabling from trunk to the center console again? Are there more cables ? They are not posting installation manual. Could somebody please post a manual to clear up these questions.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
hey, i've installed the dension gateway 500 on my '03 e320 with the aps50 with MOST and it works awesome. it fools the headunit into thinking it's a cd changer... as long as your car can accept a MOST cd changer it will accept the dension gateway 500... only catch is that you have to flip a switch and turn off the MOST ring in order to ge the original cd changer working. But I never use cd changer anyway... you can integrate an ipod with steering controls or a junk drive via usb... in fact i can play music off my psp and it sounds amazing. it also has an analog input that i use for a carputer i have. I personally think this solution is better than MB ipod kit cause you can use USB, analog, or Ipod as your source
Old 03-25-2007, 08:19 PM

levitas you would need the d2b gateway 500 it comes as both MOST and D2B
Old 03-25-2007, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nickthegreek
hey, i've installed the dension gateway 500 on my '03 e320 with the aps50 with MOST and it works awesome. it fools the headunit into thinking it's a cd changer... as long as your car can accept a MOST cd changer it will accept the dension gateway 500... only catch is that you have to flip a switch and turn off the MOST ring in order to ge the original cd changer working. But I never use cd changer anyway... you can integrate an ipod with steering controls or a junk drive via usb... in fact i can play music off my psp and it sounds amazing. it also has an analog input that i use for a carputer i have. I personally think this solution is better than MB ipod kit cause you can use USB, analog, or Ipod as your source
I am soooo glad to hear somebody finally got one of those an installed it!! I have been talking about them since I installed one in an Audio I had last fall.

Anyway congrats!! I agree with you . I like everything about it except the price. LOL did you get yours from Maxxcount.de?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:32 PM

hey my06clk, i agree with you completely on the price I paid $499 for it from www.enfig.com Iguess there's a price to pay for ownin a benz... my friends are like, woooah that's sick that you can just put music on a junk drive and it recognizes it and you can use the steering wheel... one complaint i have is that my headunit does not recognize text so everything shows up as tracks... bummer oh well. i bet that as or if MOST becomes more and more accepted in domestic cars, the prices will go down... if in a few years this thing ends up bein like 50 bucks i'll be pissed... prolly will

later

nickthegreek
Old 03-26-2007, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey my06clk, i agree with you completely on the price I paid $499 for it from www.enfig.com Iguess there's a price to pay for ownin a benz... my friends are like, woooah that's sick that you can just put music on a junk drive and it recognizes it and you can use the steering wheel... one complaint i have is that my headunit does not recognize text so everything shows up as tracks... bummer oh well. i bet that as or if MOST becomes more and more accepted in domestic cars, the prices will go down... if in a few years this thing ends up bein like 50 bucks i'll be pissed... prolly will

later

nickthegreek
PM me your Email, I have sent an email to a german distributer that I received a PDF from that fixed that same problem when I originally installed the unit into the MOST/Audi.
It's a small programming thing that lets you tell the gateway to accept and transmit text to the head unit. If it is possible, I will send it to you. If not, you can experiment with the Audi version to see if you can get it to work.

BTW. I'm in rochester on business a lot. i usually stay in Greece. which part do you live?

Last edited by my06clk; 03-26-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S55 AMG
Did you guys install it yourself? how hard was it? Just placed an order for one also.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

later

nickthegreek
Nick I finally heard back from my guy. You need to have firmware ver. 1.05. this corrects the text issue. i have a copy with instructions. If you send me your emails I will send it to you.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Skylaw
Best source for this information is probably Dension Europe. Contact through http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php
Since posting the preceding, I have become aware of some U.S. sources for the Gateway 500; one is Discount Car Stereo, at http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1062 - a Virginia based company that also markets the NavTV iPod solution. Another is enfig.com, a New Jersey based company referenced by Nickthegreek, above - http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...l/MB_IPOD.html.

Both sites above are offering the D2B and the MOST versions of the Gateway 500.

I have been in contact with a Benz engineering shop in Chicago that recently became a dealership for the GW500 and has installed a MOST bus version, but is still broadening its technical support; I won't post their contact information until they are ready. Rob 13572468 has posted info on a MOST installation at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...d-install.html.

However, the good news is that sales and support for the GW 500 is finally becoming available in the U.S.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-07-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GL 450
I installed a Gateway 500 d2b in my 2001 E430 4matic. The process was simple, but I was unable to get it working in a manner which allowed me to keep my CD changer. The iPod would connect to the GW500 and everything was powered up, but no matter what I tried I could not get the HU to switch to the GW500 input. Eventually, after 10 chats with support I just removed the CD Changer from the optic ring, and voila... the unit worked. The sound quality is fantastic, and I chose to use the iPod UI rather than the GW500. The tracks can be selected from the steering wheel ( although the cluster display and HU display is wrong about track number). The iPod charges when the ignition is on, and automatically pauses playback when I turn the HU off, (Great for running errands with a lot of of stops) then resumes playback with no user input. My biggest complaint... aside from the tech support offered by retailers, there is nothing in the package. No users manual, installation instructions. My unit came with what appeared to be the wrong optical harness ( i have audio 10. comand harness included), but it seemed to work with the exception of the CD changer issue. For motivated self starters only.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And I installed a GW 500 for MOST bus in my car. After some problems getting it to work because of very poor installation instructions, it is up and running. COMAND displays playlist, song title, and elapsed time; MFD displays track number. Still learning the Dension menus - they can be quirky. Occasionally, my iPod will not go into the Dension menu, or appear at all on COMAND - only the AUX inout shows. Problem is usually solved by shutting the car and COMAND down, resetting the iPod menus on the iPod itself, and plugging back in.

A revised version (2.0) of the firmware (1.05 is current) is about to go into beta testing.

See https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/194660-gateway-500-most-o-good-unit-poor-documentation.html for installation writeup and pics.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ryanoscerous
I installed a Gateway 500 d2b in my 2001 E430 4matic. The process was simple, but I was unable to get it working in a manner which allowed me to keep my CD changer. The iPod would connect to the GW500 and everything was powered up, but no matter what I tried I could not get the HU to switch to the GW500 input. Eventually, after 10 chats with support I just removed the CD Changer from the optic ring, and voila... the unit worked. The sound quality is fantastic, and I chose to use the iPod UI rather than the GW500. The tracks can be selected from the steering wheel ( although the cluster display and HU display is wrong about track number). The iPod charges when the ignition is on, and automatically pauses playback when I turn the HU off, (Great for running errands with a lot of of stops) then resumes playback with no user input. My biggest complaint... aside from the tech support offered by retailers, there is nothing in the package. No users manual, installation instructions. My unit came with what appeared to be the wrong optical harness ( i have audio 10. comand harness included), but it seemed to work with the exception of the CD changer issue. For motivated self starters only.
Bought mine in UK and had *NO* such problems - came in box with two manuals, clips, leads, usb cable, two D2B leads (one for COMAND, one for non-COMAND).
I have the CD changer still with mine - there's a switch unit which selects either GW500 or CDC. You sometimes need to leave ignition off or something to get it to detect the change, or on the COMAND you can do a systerm reset and that does it.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
And I installed a GW 500 for MOST bus in my car. After some problems getting it to work because of very poor installation instructions, it is up and running. COMAND displays playlist, song title, and elapsed time; MFD displays track number. Still learning the Dension menus - they can be quirky. Occasionally, my iPod will not go into the Dension menu, or appear at all on COMAND - only the AUX inout shows. Problem is usually solved by shutting the car and COMAND down, resetting the iPod menus on the iPod itself, and plugging back in.

A revised version (2.0) of the firmware (1.05 is current) is about to go into beta testing.

See https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=194660 for installation writeup and pics.
An occasional problem with mine (on D2B) is that when I switch on again, I get the CDC playing instead of the ipod. I've not yet detected any pattern to what causes this - sometimes it happens without even unplugging the ipod.
Its a little annoying, but fairly easy to correct with a COMAND system reset
Old 05-26-2007, 10:13 PM

2003 E320
Skylaw:

I purchased mine at http://www.enfigcarstereo.com and I LOVE IT. I got the Gateway 500 for MOST. I had some problems at the beginning with being able to view the song titles on the COMAND and MFD Display but after a firmware upgrade and playing around with it I got it to work.

I own a 2003 E320. My E320 had an audio 50 but I recently purchased a COMAND on ebay. The audio 50 would not show song titles but track ##. This is one of the reasons I wanted to get a COMAND. Now with the COMAND I am able to see the song titles and MENUs.

I do not recommend the installation to people who don't have patience and/or do not know about installing stereo systems. You will be dealing with Fiber Optic cables so, you have to be very careful as to what you are doing. You have to remove the Fiber Optic terminal from the connector and to do that you have to bend some little plastic on the terminal without breaking it so, it takes patience and like I said, you HAVE to be careful.

I placed the DENSION unit behind the glove compartment. I hold it in place with some plactic cable ties. There is plenty of space behind the glove compartment. I did not want to cram things behind the COMAND or the CD Changer.

It took me like 3 hours to install. I took my time and it paid off.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Handyovi,

Thanks for the input, but as my post (18, above) from May 25th indicates, I have installed the GW 500 for MOST bus, and posted a how-to guide and pics in the link provided.

Having installed it about 10 days ago, I am beginning to get a good handle on the way the menus work. There is a bit of guidance in the user manual, but it is not entirely intuituve. The user manual is not specific to the type of head unit used (since it covers different brands of cars, each with multiple head unit options). I took pics today, and hope to post hints on the way the firmware version 1.05 menus work on MOST based COMAND units shortly.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-26-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
I just installed the Dension D2B version and it works fantastically! I have a 2000 SL500 and I was able to mount the control unit under the false floor in the storage box in the space reserved for the old style phone system (which I don't have). The whole process took me about two hours. The CD/Dension/reset switch mounted right next to the tele-aid/wrench buttons. It looks like it came from the factory and it fired up first time. I can switch back and forth between the Dension and the factory CD changer easily. And the sound quality is incredible! Sound-wise, it is certainly the best car I-pod interface I've heard (I keep all of my music in Apple lossless or full bit-rate WAV formats - no MP3s). The menus are a bit funky as I don't have Command, but overall this is a great unit.

I'm going to order a MOST version for my 2007 ML350 (with Command). As I have posted elsewhere, the factory MB Ipod adapter in the ML is a piece of junk that borders on fraud if you ask me. If I do that and finish upgrading the sub-woofer, there may be a modicum of hope for the otherwise miserable Harmon-Kardon system. The H-K system is a great example of what happens when you let accountants with tin ears make engineering decisions.

- FD
Old 05-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by handyovi
Skylaw:

I purchased mine at http://www.enfigcarstereo.com and I LOVE IT. I got the Gateway 500 for MOST. I had some problems at the beginning with being able to view the song titles on the COMAND and MFD Display but after a firmware upgrade and playing around with it I got it to work.

I own a 2003 E320. My E320 had an audio 50 but I recently purchased a COMAND on ebay. The audio 50 would not show song titles but track ##. This is one of the reasons I wanted to get a COMAND. Now with the COMAND I am able to see the song titles and MENUs.

I do not recommend the installation to people who don't have patience and/or do not know about installing stereo systems. You will be dealing with Fiber Optic cables so, you have to be very careful as to what you are doing. You have to remove the Fiber Optic terminal from the connector and to do that you have to bend some little plastic on the terminal without breaking it so, it takes patience and like I said, you HAVE to be careful.

I placed the DENSION unit behind the glove compartment. I hold it in place with some plactic cable ties. There is plenty of space behind the glove compartment. I did not want to cram things behind the COMAND or the CD Changer.

It took me like 3 hours to install. I took my time and it paid off.
How the heck did you get your glovebox off? I've tried looking for instructions on several forums and never seem to find any comprehensive instructions...
Old 05-28-2007, 10:20 PM

2003 E320
murman:

I did not remove the glove box. I just removed the plastic cover under it. Two torx screws and off the cover came off. There is an aluminum post behind the glove compartment and plenty of space to work (if you hang upside down looking up I mean). Careful putting the plastic cover back on since there is an air vent close to the center console that needs to align with a hole on the plastic cover. Start of by aligning that when putting it back on.

After that I used a long plastic cable tie and hold the Dension Unit onto that aluminum post. I put a piece of Felt Guard between the aluminum post and the Dension to prevent any vibration noise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 Experiences?