Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Dension Gateway 500 Experiences?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by isamu
Thanks for the reply. I see what you're saying and there's a lot of educational information in your comments. But I still failed to find any evidence that playing a flac file is inferior to playing a raw AIFF file. When accessed and activated by the software player, the flac file decompresses and plays the file EXACTLY the way it would have, had it not been compressed in the first place. So how could there be any difference in sonic quality?

If you have a chance, please check out this thread.

*Why FLAC is brighter than .Wav(AIFF)*

....particularly this comment:
I see you want to rant pointlessly about a file format that I only heard of yesterday. LOL

All I can say to you is this. If that's what you want, use it.

If you came into my recording studio with a project that was done on "Flac" files, I'd have to show you the exit.

There is a standard out there for professional and consumer Audio.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by isamu
Thanks for the reply. I see what you're saying and there's a lot of educational information in your comments. But I still failed to find any evidence that playing a flac file is inferior to playing a raw AIFF file. When accessed and activated by the software player, the flac file decompresses and plays the file EXACTLY the way it would have, had it not been compressed in the first place. So how could there be any difference in sonic quality?

If you have a chance, please check out this thread.

*Why FLAC is brighter than .Wav(AIFF)*

....particularly this comment:
I read the comment, and also about 65 other posts in the string before it degenerated.

If the theory that the files have to be identical to play back were true, one couldn't have .mp3 or any other lossy format (as subsequent contributors asserted in the string you referenced). They just wouldn't work, if the assertions were true. But they do.

I have in fact converted an AIFF file to .mp3, then reconverted it to AIFF. The file sizes are different between the original AIFF and the reconverted AIFF - and both are larger than the mp3. But the reconverted AIFF will play and record just fine, contrary to the assertions made by other contributors in the string. However, the reconverted AIFF has no better sound quality than the .mp3.

I have better results doing the same thing with Apple Lossless - the reconverted AIFF file is the same size as the original file. However, I have no assurance that each bit sequence removed in the compression to Apple Lossless was restored exactly the same in the reconverted file - despite the fact that it sounds darned good. Similarly, despite the same file sizes, there was no proof in your reference for FLAC, that the files were identically restored - only that the sizes were the same.

My principal issue with your initial post is that you stated "what's this business about AiFF or whatever? There is simply no better file format than Flac. Period."

That's a subjective evaluation, and it seems to imply (perhaps unintentionally) that you don't know what an AIFF is. Tough to support as an absolute that one file format is better than another if one doesn't know what the other is.

For your purposes, storing a very large music library, FLAC may be the best. If I faced the same constraints, my choice would be Apple Lossless (because I don't have to get into Windows and its trials) - but again, it would be simply my preference. Best for my situation.

But because I don't face the space limitations for my purposes, I store everything in AIFF, if I have access to it in that format. There is no conversion, no data is lost or changed. The results are excellent.

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-25-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
Originally Posted by my06clk
I see you want to rant pointlessly about a file format that I only heard of yesterday. LOL

All I can say to you is this. If that's what you want, use it.

If you came into my recording studio with a project that was done on "Flac" files, I'd have to show you the exit.

There is a standard out there for professional and consumer Audio.

Good luck.
You have a recording studio and you "just" heard of FLAC? Something isn't right here....

Also I think the guy said the Denison GUI was primative where the hell did MAC vs. PC & FLAC vs. AIFF war come into play????

Last edited by slowrey; 07-25-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by slowrey
You have a recording studio and you "just" heard of FLAC? Something isn't right here....

Also I think the guy said the Denison GUI was primative where the hell did MAC vs. PC & FLAC vs. AIFF war come into play????
FLAC. Obviously you've never did any mastering right?.OR you don't deal in the Pro Audio World.. Send me a list of 2 or 3 Pro Programs you know of that allow conversion to FlAC for mixing OR Mastering and I'll STFU.

But since we both live in the same city.Hit me up and maybe I'll show you how it's done in the Pros LOL..

What the guy said was Dension's gui was primitive, then he went on to mention Win-amp and another PC based interface. I was simply stating that "those" interfaces and his reasoning for installing a windows based carputer, and the fact that he was doing it to a 7 year old car was quite primitive in itself so it was all pointless typing anyway.
And I do think my reference to the MAC mini was that it would be a lot less expensive and a lot nicer interface if he went that route. Simply stated.

The rest of the tech. stuff about lossless files vs. this and that was everybody else. I know what I need to work with for what I do, and that's it.

While I have your attention, Do you get out anywhere in the ATX? You know me and a friend who sells for MB/Austin have an unofficial BENZ meet at Sullivans most every Thursday nights during happy hour. Come hang Sometimes. They usually Valet all of our cars right in the front.

We can talk shop.

Last edited by my06clk; 07-25-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by slowrey
Unquestionably the Dension UI is primitive when compared to virtually any decent computer. So is the entire MB COMAND interface. Nonetheless, it works.

Still, if anyone wants to go to the expense of replacing the whole system with a carputer, that's his choice. Some folks have done it nicely.

Where did Mac vs PC and FLAC vs AIFF come into play? The FLAC vs AIFF part came from isamu's assertion of FLAC's absolute superiority over any other file format (which would, by implication, include AIFF - the original in CDs). It deserved a response. To me it's the rough equivalent of arguing that a scanned copy of the Mona Lisa is better than the original.

Mac vs PC - not much argument here over which is better. The comparison was based on my experience with "lossless" formats - and I have far more with Apple products than Windows, which was isamu's experience. However, in principle, the "lossless" formats work on the same principles. The rest was used to underscore that isamu's original assertion might be best to suit his preferences, could not stand as an absolute determination.

It was pretty plain, if you actually read the comments.

And of course, the entire discussion, except that isamu thought a carputer was better choice than the Gateway 500, is off topic. But fun.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:28 PM

2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
Originally Posted by my06clk
FLAC. Obviously you've never did any mastering right?.OR you don't deal in the Pro Audio World.. Send me a list of 2 or 3 Pro Programs you know of that allow conversion to FlAC for mixing OR Mastering and I'll STFU.

But since we both live in the same city.Hit me up and maybe I'll show you how it's done in the Pros LOL..

What the guy said was Dension's gui was primitive, then he went on to mention Win-amp and another PC based interface. I was simply stating that "those" interfaces and his reasoning for installing a windows based carputer, and the fact that he was doing it to a 7 year old car was quite primitive in itself so it was all pointless typing anyway.
And I do think my reference to the MAC mini was that it would be a lot less expensive and a lot nicer interface if he went that route. Simply stated.

The rest of the tech. stuff about lossless files vs. this and that was everybody else. I know what I need to work with for what I do, and that's it.

While I have your attention, Do you get out anywhere in the ATX? You know me and a friend who sells for MB/Austin have an unofficial BENZ meet at Sullivans most every Thursday nights during happy hour. Come hang Sometimes. They usually Valet all of our cars right in the front.

We can talk shop.
You're absolutely right I'm not in the pro business but it doesnt' make a lot of sense to me you're touting being a pro but never heard of FLAC. I used to be a graphic artist and we used Photoshop but I have heard of Paintshop Pro and other lessor programs along with other file types that most graphic artists don't use :P

On a personal note, hit me up with a PM and we can chat about Austin!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:29 PM

2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Unquestionably the Dension UI is primitive when compared to virtually any decent computer. So is the entire MB COMAND interface. Nonetheless, it works.

Still, if anyone wants to go to the expense of replacing the whole system with a carputer, that's his choice. Some folks have done it nicely.

Where did Mac vs PC and FLAC vs AIFF come into play? The FLAC vs AIFF part came from isamu's assertion of FLAC's absolute superiority over any other file format (which would, by implication, include AIFF - the original in CDs). It deserved a response. To me it's the rough equivalent of arguing that a scanned copy of the Mona Lisa is better than the original.

Mac vs PC - not much argument here over which is better. The comparison was based on my experience with "lossless" formats - and I have far more with Apple products than Windows, which was isamu's experience. However, in principle, the "lossless" formats work on the same principles. The rest was used to underscore that isamu's original assertion might be best to suit his preferences, could not stand as an absolute determination.

It was pretty plain, if you actually read the comments.

And of course, the entire discussion, except that isamu thought a carputer was better choice than the Gateway 500, is off topic. But fun.
I agree but it's a lot of information to dig through to get to no point of the topic. Quite cluttered and off topic unfortunately.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:03 AM

Does anyone have any experience with GW500 and their bluetooth module? How about iPhone use with product? Dension has not replied to my questions.

Rippey
Old 04-28-2008, 12:08 PM

2008 S550 4matic
Skylaw, I'm thinking of picking up a 2005 S500. Anyways, trying to figure a few things out and since you have it setup can I ask you some questions, or anyone else if they have an 05 S with gateway or benz iPod.

First, are both the Mercedes and Gateway interface able to playback lossless? I read on the gateway site that only mp3, wma, and something else are supported. Wasn't sure about Benz adapter. Does it support the tags? I.e. will the artist song name show up on the display, or in the gauge area? How difficult is installation - a do it yourself job or take it to Benz job?

Audio quality, I read this https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/234260-oem-ipod-adapter-vs-dash-cd-vs-gateway-500-a.html
Any further comment? Does gateway sound as good as the CD? Have you compared to the Benz adapter?

Also, do you have any experience with Bluetooth. I have an iPhone so I guess I would need the MHI adapter.

Thanks!!!

Even an AIFF file involves digital sampling, at a very high rate - 44.100 kHz. Fast as it is, it still does not contain every single piece of information that an analog wave does - the analog wave is continuous.

That is one reason why evan a digitally mastered CD recording of a symphony concert does not sound as good as the orchestra does in the live performance in the concert hall. In the concert hall, the music is all analog.

However, I would take issue with the assertion that a device playing a CD will always be better. First, the music that leaves the amplifier to drive the speakers is always analog. The speakers produce sound waves are always analog ("Digital rated" means they can handle the wider bandwidth and dynamic range that digital input devices can produce - power, causing heat - vice older pure analog devices). It would be more accurate to say a device playing the AIFF format will sound better than one playing any kind of compressed format, especially a "lossy" format.

There are two main influences regarding the input devices: 1) The quality of their electronics (both design and build considerations) and 2) the quality of the medium that is input to (played by) the device.

Assuming for a moment that the electronics are equal, analog input other than live (including studio) performances have been limited by the recording medium. LP records introduced hiss and other noise, and the dynamic range is somewhat limited (though the technology had gotten pretty good toward the end of vinyl's reign). Analog recordings on magnetic tape introduced hiss, and had less dynamic range than CDs - despite Dolby sound processing.

CDs, despite carrying less "information" than an analog wave form, came very close to reproducing the true wave - close enough that one could not hear the difference at 44.100 kHz - and did so with no hiss or other noise, and a tremendous dynamic range especially good for capturing the harmonics of the concert hall. The ratio of the music signal to background noise (Signal to Noise Ratio) was far superior in CD recordings - all of which used (and still do) the AIFF format.

That gets us to comparisons of digital formats. The gold standard is AIFF. Although sampled, and therefore loses some information in the purest sense, the loss is very nearly indistinguishable to the ear. In the sense that all of the bits captured and recorded are played back, it is "lossless."

As you have pointed out, AIFFs can take up a lot of disc space. That gave rise to formats that downsampled the AIFF file - compressing it (deleting certain sequences of data) according to an algorithm while storing it, and then restoring much of what was removed when playing back. The success of the algorithms in reproducing the original data from the AIFF file (or other source) is what determines how "lossy" the compression is. .mp3 is fairly "lossy." You definitely do not restore the file fully - but many people view it as "good enough."

Recognizing the need to improve .mp3 performance yet reduce the AIFF file size, efforts went into developing "lossless" formats - OGG, FLAC, Apple Lossless among others - they take up more storage space than .mp3, but not as much as AIFF. Their relative success is in using better algorithms than .mp3 to first compress, then restore, the waveform.

Understand that even an AIFF has minute gaps - there is a blank space with no music, occurring at a rate of 44.100kHz - and when one is "downsampling", the new format will sample that "nothing" occasionally, when hitting one of those "blank" spots. This results in some loss; the downsampled file will lose some of the information in the original.

So, that gets us to the file format comparisons: You will get the best results using the most complete information available in reproducing the original analog wave form. That is AIFF in the current technology. Any other format will be not quite as good - but some may be acceptably close, when storage space considerations are taken into account.

Once again - assuming equal electronics quality - it is the file format that determines the music quality. Record your music in AIFF format, from original AIFF sources (CDs) onto your iPod, and you will have the equal of your CD changer's output. That will be true using a PC or a Mac to record on the iPod.

By the way, I use an 80GB 5th Gen iPod. I import all of my CDs in AIFF into iTunes. When I had a 4th Gen iPod with 40 GB, I sometimes used Apple Lossless for popular music, but not for symphony performances. Again, I doubt Apple Lossless is better than FLAC (and I believe you are correct that iTunes will not handle FLAC; its format options are AIFF, WAV, .mp3, AAC and Apple Lossless) - use what you're comfortable with. Still, since getting the 80GB unit, I have gone back and revised my playlists to use the AIFF file version wherever I had it.

Unfortunately, music purchased through the iTunes music store is limited - essentially it is .mp3, with digital rights protection added. Apple has recently started offering some higher quality recordings with one company, free of DRM, and hopes to add more. There is a qualitative difference.

I can say this: Before the Gateway 500 became available for MOST bus, and available through U.S. distributors, I could not integrate an iPod into my '05 S500. So, I duplicated my music library, converted it to .mp3, and recorded it to DVDs. The DVD player in my car would handle only .mp3, unfortunately (or DVD movie soundtracks - which were great in sound quality). The .mp3 DVD solution was better than nothing, but not nearly as satisfactory as using my iPod - for both quality and convenience.

But the iPod is great, especially when playing back original AIFF files.

Still, that's not close to 600 GB, and using original AIFF files would probably require a supplemental hard drive for your car PC.

The Gateway 500 would accept FLAC only as an analog, through the AUX input.

A question some have asked - though not you - I wouldn't bother converting music from .mp3 or lesser formats to AIFF; the loss of data has already occurred, and you don't get it back re-converting it to AIFF (or to a higher sampling rate). You just burn up disc space.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Alexander B86,

Both the MB iPod kit and the Dension Gateway 500 can play back lossless. They can play any music file that your iPod can, because the iPod is what actually does the recognition of the file.

The limitations you have read about apply to DVD and mp3 CD files.

I have no experience with the MB iPod kit. My '05 (and likely yours too) has no AUX input jack at all - something that is required for the MB kit that the Gateway 500 does not. No jack, no MB iPod kit.

With the MB iPod kit, song titles, etc. are displayed on the instrument cluster display (the MFD) and not on the COMAND screen. With the Gateway 500, song titles, as well as sorts by album, artist, playlists or song appear on the COMAND display; you get track number on the MFD.

See https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/194660-gateway-500-most-o-good-unit-poor-documentation.html and https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...51#post2471051 for what I think is a pretty good rundown.

You will find the MB Bluetooth integrates better than the Gateway 500 optional BT kit. See https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...77#post2788377 especially posts 1, 5, and 6.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-28-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:03 PM

W211
I know everybody else gets track numbers on the MFD but I get track titles .

I haven't yet found out what makes my setup special, maybe its something MB have changed (I have a UK 2008 E280CDI).

Last edited by TomTanderson; 04-28-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:01 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by TomTanderson

I haven't yet found out what makes my setup special, maybe its something MB have changed (I have a UK 2008 E280CDI).
I thought it was straightforward - if your HU supports CDTEXT, you get titles, if not, you get numbers?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tom,

Do you have the MB iPod kit (which I stated should give you song titles on the MFD), or do you have a Gateway 500? I ask because Dension was discussing a tie-in to the CAN Bus for their Version 3 hardware that would give song titles, etc. on the MFD as well as the COMAND display.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:40 PM

W211
Tom,

Do you have the MB iPod kit (which I stated should give you song titles on the MFD), or do you have a Gateway 500? I ask because Dension was discussing a tie-in to the CAN Bus for their Version 3 hardware that would give song titles, etc. on the MFD as well as the COMAND display.
It's the Gateway 500 - I haven't found anybody else who gets it on the MFD. I would be interested to know what is different about my setup but I wouldn't even bother to talk to Dension about it because their support is dire to non-existent.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's the Gateway 500 - I haven't found anybody else who gets it on the MFD. I would be interested to know what is different about my setup but I wouldn't even bother to talk to Dension about it because their support is dire to non-existent.
What audio setup do you have? COMAND, Audio XX head unit, something else?

When did you purchase your Gateway 500? (I won't ask you to pull it out to check the hardware version; but Version 3 for MOST bus supposedly has the capability, but was awaiting design and manufacture of a CAN Bus tie-in cable). If that is now available, it could explain why you have MFD readout (on the instrument cluster).

If you have COMAND, do you get song titles, etc. there as well?

This is of particular interest because it is the first I have heard of it functioning that way in anyone's car, and may indicate that Dension has implemented the capability.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-30-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:00 PM

W211
I originally had an Audio 20 and got just track numbers in both the HU and the MFD. The impracticality of selecting songs like that was the biggest driving force behind me retrofitting a Comand APS. With that I get the track titles on both HU and MFD.

I'm 99% certain that the Gateway was a dual MOST v2. I'm an IT nerd by profession so I tend to notice these things. The Comand unit was manufactured in late 2007 and the car is a Jan 2008 build. My "money" is on it being a change in the MFD software but that is just my intuitive guess as I am not an expert in this area!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tom,

You are probably correct. Through '06, the COMAND display input came through the fiber optics bus and was generated by the COMAND unit itself; the MFD was generated via the CAN Bus, which was separate.

It is likely the newer systems have been re-engineered.