Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Looking for iPod Guidance, 2001 CL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55 AMG (2001), Audi Allroad (2003)
Looking for iPod Guidance, 2001 CL55

Hi!

I have a new-to-me 2001 CL 55. I'm trying to figure out how to integrate the iPod. Is there a Dension ice link that will work? I hacked together an aux-input setup on my A8 but would prefer not to hack on any wiring in this car.

Also trying to figure out what to do for cellphone. Do I just buy a PUK and plug it into the oldschool connector for the StarTac?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
One user - modulus - has installed a successor to the IceLink, the Dension Gateway 500; see the post at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...periences.html - please be aware that Dension USA has split from Dension Europe, and now sells different equipment. You will probably have to get the Gateway 500 overseas. Ted Baldwin has purchased one, but not installed yet - see https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/171091-dension-gateway-500-experiences.html and follow for updates.

I had an IceLink Plus in my '00 S500. While the audio quality was excellent, and I enjoyed having my whole music collection accessible on long trips, the interface displayed on COMAND and on the MFD were lacking. See http://www.benzworld.org/tech.html?id=330

If your car had an MB phone installed, it has an "Autosense" PSE (Portable Support Electronics) together with either a TimePort or a V60 phone, and the corresponding cradle. See the phone bulletin for your car on Paul H. Dick's great site at http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm

I suspect, but do not know for sure, that the Autosense PSE can use the V60 Bluetooth puck installed in a V60 cradle. Right now I am having problems with the AWS website and its compatibility chart at http://wireless4mb.com/ but you may be able to check yourself later. I do know that the V60 PSE that succeeded the Autosense can be used with a V60 cradle and Bluetooth puck.

If you have a TimePort cradle, you would need to replace it with a V60 cradle to use the MB V60 Bluetooth puck.

Although AWS may try to sell you a seriously overpriced MB branded bluetooth phone, you do not need one. A variety of BT phones work; most newer Motorolas will download the phone book and other information. Some other brands do well also - but some do not provide full downloads to COMAND. I'll have to leave the question of which brand and type of phone to use to your own research.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-26-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55 AMG (2001), Audi Allroad (2003)
Originally Posted by Skylaw
A variety of BT phones work; most newer Motorolas will download the phone book and other information. Some other brands do well also - but some do not provide full downloads to COMAND. I'll have to leave the question of which brand and type of phone to use to your own research.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. The Gateway 500 looks pricey.

I have a Motorola V600 which I think has the same pin-outs as the V60... so I wager I can just use the V60 kit and plug the V600 in directly. If not I'll pop the $300 for the PUK.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KatzManDu
I have a Motorola V600 which I think has the same pin-outs as the V60... so I wager I can just use the V60 kit and plug the V600 in directly. If not I'll pop the $300 for the PUK.
A plug-in phone must be a Mercedes branded phone to work with the Mercedes plug-in system. The phone must perform a "handshake" with the PSE, and if it isn't coded to do so the system will turn the phone off. Even a non-MB branded V60, let alone a V600. This has been written up a LOT on the forums.

One very good alternative is to install a MikBox, which emulated the MB handshake to the PSE, and allowed non-MB Motorola plug-in phones to work. See http://www.benzworld.org/tech.html?id=317 for background and links.

The MikBox costs less than the MB puck, but is not Bluetooth. That has its advantages (you use the car's external antenna, with its better range, with a plug-in phone; and it fully integrates with COMAND). The puck is Bluetooth, and has its conveniences and its disadvantages (it uses the phones's shorter range antenna, and COMAND compatibility is not assured with all Bluetooth phones).

If you really want Bluetooth, the lowest cost option with the equipment you have is the puck.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E 350 4matic wagon; '05 E 500 4matic sedan; '09 S550 4matic
Skylaw, if I have the Timeport, etc all installed, am I reading you correctly that you suspect that simply swapping out the cradle to v60 and adding the v60 puck would work with a razr? i realize you are guessing but that would save bunch of rewiring money and even a clutz like me might be able to install a replacement cradle (assume it is a plug connector and some screws for the base plate). Any idea if this has been tried?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mbnj
Skylaw, if I have the Timeport, etc all installed, am I reading you correctly that you suspect that simply swapping out the cradle to v60 and adding the v60 puck would work with a razr? i realize you are guessing but that would save bunch of rewiring money and even a clutz like me might be able to install a replacement cradle (assume it is a plug connector and some screws for the base plate). Any idea if this has been tried?
You are correct that I suspect the Autosense PSE (which is one that worked with both TimePort and V60 phones) will work with a V60 cradle and puck and a RAZR - assuming that your cell provider has activated the necessary handsfree firmware in the RAZR. Most providers do, some do not.

I have not seen any reports from anyone who has tried this - but I hope someone will. If it doesn't work, then the problem is cured simply by replacing the Autosense PSE with the V60 PSE for your car. If it does work, you have saved some money by not having to purchase the V60 PSE. The Autosense PSE for your E320 wagon has numbers (SYN 9266A) and BQ 682 0754.

Not all TimePorts were installed with the Autosense PSE. Some used straight TimePort PSEs. I have no confidence the straight TimePort PSE will work with V60 cradle and puck.

You can check what PSE you have by comparing the part numbers above (which I got from the phone bulletins on Paul H. Dick's site at http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm ) with those on the PSE installed in your car. If either number matches, you have an "Autosense" PSE.

The rewiring is not extensive. You can get a good idea of how easy a cradle change is from my MikBox installation in an S500 at http://www.benzworld.org/tech.html?id=317 - and you can also get an idea that a PSE swap, if you need one, is also not difficult (requiring no wiring modifications at all). Paul's phone bulletins show you where to find it (and also show how to install the cradles in your car).

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-30-2006 at 07:29 AM.