Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

upgrade questions please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
upgrade questions please

hi all,

just got a 2001 E55 and wanted to get some suggestions on upgrades.

1) i want to tint the windows, but i've found in my other cars that tinting over the rear/side windows actually impedes the radio signals strength. has anyone else found that, and is there an alternative tint that could work?

2) the bose stereo still sounds pretty weak to me, is it the speakers or the lack of power...or perhaps both. i've seen some people add JL subs/amp combo and i'm sure that helps the overall low-end, but does that doe enough for the hi's and the rest of the spectrum?

3) also thinking about getting SIRIUS...any suggestions for best one? i've seen them for $29, but i'd hate to go cheap and have it look like a weak aftermarket.

4) lastly, anyone add a NAVIGATION to their cars? the previous owner had a portable Garmin on his dash that he plugged into the cig adaptor...i guess it's functional, but not the best looking...any other suggestions?

thx all - this board has been great.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
1) The radio reception/cell transmission problem occurs when you use metallic coated tinting films. If you use the factory plug-in phone installation, cell transmission/reception should not be affected, but AM reception (especially) will be. The only solution I know of is to use nonmetallic coated films - but those turn purple and look awful after a time.

2) I can't answer.

3) See the link at https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/105979-stealthy-sirius-installation-into-w209.html - he seems to have solved that problem nicely.

4) You could retrofit a D2B based Mercedes COMAND unit; or, look to a built-in aftermarket unit such as those made by Alpine. You may also find a simpler solution to your audio question than altering the Bose sound system with this approach (you'd replace it altogether) - but it won't be cheap.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-26-2006 at 08:59 AM.