Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Experience with voice control system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experience with voice control system

Thanks to all in the forum for all the useful advice. I just took delivery of a US spec '07CLK550 with COMAND, NAV and phone prewiring. I just received an email from Steve that it is possible to add the Voice Control Module and stalk to this set up. I have some questions for those of you with actual experience with the Mercedes VCS in your own cars (i.e., more than just casual usage or second hand knowledge).

1. How good (or poor) is the system with regards to voice recognition (how often do you have to repeat commands, how many times does the system mistake commands and does either nothing, or does something other than what you intended).

2. What type of functions can be controlled via voice command? For safety reasons, I do not like to use my phone while driving but when I have to (when I get an emergency call from a patient via my answering service etc.) , I'd like to use voice commands to dial and look up numbers if I have to call other doctors etc.

3. Other than phone functions, what else can the VCS control?

4. For those of you with the system, do you feel its worth it, or is it a feature that you thought you would use, but in reality, don't really use much (is it just as easy or easier to push buttons on the COMAND unit).

5. Any thoughts on warranty issues as I am considering having Steve install this in a brand new US spec '07 (I understand he uses all OEM Merc components but the VCS was not an option on the CLK for '07). Am I just asking for trouble?

As Steve is planning to be in So Cal in December (date not yet set), I would appreciate any feedback as soon as possible as I would need to let Steve know in advance.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2023 AMG EQE 53 4MATIC+, Tesla Model Y
The recognition is okay, but you usually have to look at the screen to see what's required next. It's a great, incredibly overpriced, integrated car phone, though, and that was a good enough reason for me.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:23 AM

2014 C300, sport, black/black
Originally Posted by mohdds
4. For those of you with the system, do you feel its worth it, or is it a feature that you thought you would use, but in reality, don't really use much (is it just as easy or easier to push buttons on the COMAND unit).
I have an '02 with VCS. I don't use it that much. For many things is it easier to push the buttons on the comand unit or on the steering wheel as opposed to activating it and then saying the command. One thing it is good at is recognizing a long string of digits for a phone number, however they are already programmed into my phone so it is much easier to dial from memory.

I guess the biggest issue for me with VCS is that it is very awkward to use when there are other people in car, which is quite often. It does however have a little WOW factor the first time you show it to someone....
Old 11-28-2006, 05:33 PM

2003 SL500
Installed after purchasing my 05' E55. Not worth the price. You can switch between outputs such as CD-Radio etc., change CDs, tracks and radio stations. Unfortunatly you cannot use it to input navigation data. That would be nice to have. Other car makes do have the ability. Put your money elsewhere.
Glenn
Old 11-28-2006, 05:36 PM

2023 AMG EQE 53 4MATIC+, Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by glennbaz
Installed after purchasing my 05' E55. Not worth the price. You can switch between outputs such as CD-Radio etc., change CDs, tracks and radio stations. Unfortunatly you cannot use it to input navigation data. That would be nice to have. Other car makes do have the ability. Put your money elsewhere.
Glenn
FWIW, the COMAND on my 04 CL does allow you to enter navigation by voice, but it's still easier to do it by hand.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The VCS on my '06 S-class is a big improvement over the VCS on my '01 S-class. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's the same as gets installed on a CLK or E. (I think it is.)

The voice recognition almost never gets it wrong now, partly because the COMAND service menu has a training module. There are way more voice commands. For NAV, e.g., you can speak or spell the name of the town and spell the name of the street. It has commands like "zoom in" for the map display and single-command calling "call wilma" or "navigate home" where the earlier one made you first say "dial name" then say "wilma." It never gets numbers wrong. You can speak groups of three or four numbers so "415-555-1212" would normally be said in three groups like you would speak to a person. And it always gets it right.

PS. There are literally hundreds of commands. There is no point in my listing them all if it's not the same VCS that goes in your car. If you find out that it is, I'll list out the major functions that are controlled in mine.

Last edited by whoover; 11-28-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:40 PM

2001 SLK 320
Cool

No problems with my 2001 SLK 320. I only use it for the cell phone function, easier to speak numbers or a name than punch in numbers while driving. The other functions it covers are easier to control the old fashion way, radio bands, stations, vol, cd player.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:21 AM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by whoover
The VCS on my '06 S-class is a big improvement over the VCS on my '01 S-class. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's the same as gets installed on a CLK or E. (I think it is.). . .
Unfortunately the E-Class does not use the same nav system as the S-Class. My 2007 nav isn't any different than the one in my 2005. When we tested a 2007 S550, we were amazed at the ability to control the navigation routing with the voice control features. The only navigation feature my E550 will perform by voice control is changing the COMAND screen to "map view" from another screen. Hopefully they will upgrade to the better navigation system with the next generation E-Class.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
The EURO version of the COMAND in a W211 E-class will allow you to input directions into the navigation via the voice control. I find that the EURO COMAND has more features that the US version does not have (ie DVD video).
Old 11-26-2008, 10:10 AM

Mercedes Benz 2008 C 350
Unhappy Any problems with Voice Recognition

I am having issues with the voice recognition where it does not follow the command at times, most especially when dialing a number, the #2 is the issue, its recognizing it as a 0. The voice individualization was performed both by myself and at the dealer yesterday and even the salesperson noticed the system would sometimes just cancel the command when it cannot recognize the number being requested. Has anyone have any issues similar to this? Would appreciate any feedback, since this is very frustrating after having invested in the Navigation system which fails me when I need it. Thank you.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Mine responds much as Whoover described - except that despite attempts to train the system, it simply cannot handle my brother's name (Paul) when I try to call him. Other than that, it is nifty - and it is especially useful when driving conditions don't let you take your eyes off the road even for a moment (stop-and-go traffic, driving into sun, or other conditions of poor visibility).
Old 11-27-2008, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
I retrofitted my C55 with it. Best part is the voice input for the navigation. I did the learning program and the voice recognition is excellent - I think the later version ECU's are much improved.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:30 AM

Mercedes Benz 2008 C 350
Thanks for taking the time to give your feedback, I will still follow up with the dealership this week as I am not getting the benefit at this time. Thanks
Old 12-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by kjb55
I retrofitted my C55 with it. Best part is the voice input for the navigation. I did the learning program and the voice recognition is excellent - I think the later version ECU's are much improved.
ECU? That is the engine control
Old 12-02-2008, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Originally Posted by Mackhack
ECU? That is the engine control
Really? You're kidding right? A modern car has just one engine control ECU?

Try ECU = Electronic Control Unit.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by kjb55
Really? You're kidding right? A modern car has just one engine control ECU?

Try ECU = Electronic Control Unit.
I know what the ECU is, so what are you trying to tell me?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Almost a Member!

Part Number of VCS unit for W211

Originally Posted by t-bone
The EURO version of the COMAND in a W211 E-class will allow you to input directions into the navigation via the voice control. I find that the EURO COMAND has more features that the US version does not have (ie DVD video).
Realised that this is an old thread but is there anyone who is knowledgeable on the part number of the VCS for a MY07/08 W211? And any other parts required to make this work? I have the Euro Command
Old 12-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Almost a Member!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Casper1022
I am having issues with the voice recognition where it does not follow the command at times, most especially when dialing a number, the #2 is the issue, its recognizing it as a 0. The voice individualization was performed both by myself and at the dealer yesterday and even the salesperson noticed the system would sometimes just cancel the command when it cannot recognize the number being requested. Has anyone have any issues similar to this? Would appreciate any feedback, since this is very frustrating after having invested in the Navigation system which fails me when I need it. Thank you.
Casper, I have the same problem with my VCS. It'll be a couple weeks before I bother to get into the dealer. Please let me know if you find a resolution before then... Thx.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:36 AM

Mercedes Benz 2008 C 350
Unhappy Voice Recognition Issues

Hi, I was instructed to bring the car to the dealer and they did the inspection and individualization, no problems on their side...I took the vehicle home and tried it again, still no change and still my #2 would be recognized as a 0. I still have to do the individualization again and at this time, am being told there are no new softwares or patches to resolve the issue...very frustrating..