Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W211 questions on installing a Z1.. location of speed sensor, etc. please help =)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 questions on installing a Z1.. location of speed sensor, etc. please help =)

I am installing a AVIC Z1 unit into my 03 E55 AMG. I have talk to crutchfield and some other companies and they say I just have to rewire from my stock speakers and disconnect the fiber optic connections. Anyways, I was wondering if this was indeed true that in the back of our speakers we have a connection to connect a 12 guage wire to.. Also, where is the best place to get connected to the speed sensor? The reverse light? Lighting switch terminal? the terminal 12V switch I figured I would use the cigarette lighter connection since it is close enough? any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated guys. I was going to have a shop custom make a bracket to fit the unit within the slot but if anybody knows a company that has recently done it, make it and ship it to me that would be great. I know reuss or whatever makes them but I got a quote of $1500 just for the bracket! that was from the man himself too =(

thanks in advance!!

p.s. - i'm in the chicago area

oh a good ground place too.. i know of one underneath the dash but any other ones behind the unit itself? Grr and one last thing antenna booster power supply? Apparently if we have a fixed antenna we have one of these just not sure were, hopefully its a 12V max connection?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
Having experience with car stereos (I sell Kenwood stuff), and a little with my own W211, I would say it will be a pretty big task to get that unit in there, and if you're gonna do it, I would definetly recommend to do it with a Kenwood or other GPS unit that does NOT need to connect to the speed sensor, like the new KNA-G510. You will need to bypass the fiber optics on the car completely and probably rewire the speakers, but if you are doing a very high end system, you probably are doing that anyway. There is a dash kit from Bestkits (http://bestkits.com/ViewImage.aspx?img=i/BKMZ2345B.jpg) that will fit a double-din unit like the DDX-6019 and is less than $40.

You can get the DDX-6019 with DVD capability and the navigation for around $1100, add bluetooth and rear view camera for another $300, and you have a pretty nifty system. Plus you can always add XM/Sirius and HD radio easily.

You will loose the dash display and the steering wheel controls though.

I can send you the PDF of the speed sensors from the factory manual, PM me if you need them.

Good luck,

Edward
Old 12-17-2006, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
The Z1 does not need the VSS signal. And yes, you can keep steering wheel controls.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you can keep the steering whell controls please give details on how it can be accomplished
Old 12-20-2006, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by epizzle
if you can keep the steering whell controls please give details on how it can be accomplished
I posted it in the C-class forum in two places, under aftermarket steering wheel controls and AVIC Z1 install guide