Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

how do you get around the 1998-2004 sound system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk w209
how do you get around the 1998-2004 sound system?

I talk to a stero shop about installing an aftermarket soundsystem dvd/cd/nav. he said everything need to be rewired because of the m.o.s.t system optic wires and computer system need to be reflashed by dealer. alot of custom work meaning alot $$$$$ to spend
Old 12-30-2006, 12:06 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 clk55
i've done audio work on all 3 clk's that ive owned and never came close to having the courage to do a full conversion. the fiber network is complicated, expensive, and NOT pretty if you **** up. i'm sure people have had flawless conversions but IMO it isnt worth the headache...or the $$$$. (The $$$$ can get HIGH!!)

for a w208 clk i added a rather powerful sub setup and after tinkering got it to sound great...i tapped the fiber network with an Audiocontrol EQX, boosted the signal to 8V with a phoenix gold line driver and went to a US amps 2000x. the SQ was much better than i thought it would be. i started the process to add some really nice oz audio mids and tweets on a mcintosh amp, but gave up after i saw how much irritation it would cause to get them in. if i remember right i think the stock speakers have some rather odd impedances...

when i got the w209 clk55 i just didnt have the motivation to do it again. plus having 150lbs of subs in the trunk kinda defeated the purpose of getting the amg. good luck!
Old 12-30-2006, 01:15 AM

2002 C32 AMG, 1991 SL500 AMG sport
If you replace it all then its all then its no big deal. No need to reprogram anything. You can even get adapters to keep steering wheel controls to work on new equipment. Just need to research a little before you start. Just run new wiring with the install. Once car is apart for new speakers etc, its no big deal to run new speaker wires etc...Most people are just scared of the Mercedes because they are not familiar with them. Therefore they like to talk about how expensive it will be.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Yup, I replaced my d2b system completely. I replaced the COMMAND with a Pioneer AVIC-Z1, put in a new amp, new subwoofer, new speakers, and new wiring. It works perfectly. I maintained steering wheel controls with a CAN adapter.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
On my d2b C32 2003, I have the stock radio, with a Linear power 5 channel amp (one channel is subwoofer). Added all new Linear speakers and 12" Linear subwoofer. Tapped into the Bose amp, at the input of the power amp, just after the opamp buffers and the Crystal DAC.

The stock subwoofer is a joke and has a 0.5ohm impedance. The rest of the speakers are around 2 ohms, stock.

Linear Power just bought Soundgate, which is one of the companies making adapters for CAN mercedes.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:24 AM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
Replacing COMAND in 2001 CLK 55?

Originally Posted by m444
On my d2b C32 2003, I have the stock radio, with a Linear power 5 channel amp (one channel is subwoofer). Added all new Linear speakers and 12" Linear subwoofer. Tapped into the Bose amp, at the input of the power amp, just after the opamp buffers and the Crystal DAC.

The stock subwoofer is a joke and has a 0.5ohm impedance. The rest of the speakers are around 2 ohms, stock.

Linear Power just bought Soundgate, which is one of the companies making adapters for CAN mercedes.
m444,

Can I ask how much did this cost you roughly and did you get the work done in the SF Bay Area? If so, where did you get it done? I have a 2001 CLK 55 AMG and I'm considering replacing the COMAND with an AVIC-2 or Alpine or Eclipse Double DIN Nav system... and possibly getting new speakers...

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:28 PM

C320T 4matic & 500SL
Why replacing the Comand system?

I added a DVD Player with Comand and steering wheel control and some amplifiers. At least 1300 watts.... It's great and you can't see anything!

I hope I will get the new Alpine sound processor for oem radios in an few weeks then everything is complete...

Sorry it's all in german but you can see the fotos...

and if you have any questions... ask...

www.hotw.de/privat/einbau3.htm
Old 03-06-2007, 01:00 AM

im not super keen on these optical systems, but couldnt you just tap the speaker leads and run them to a RF360 or JL cleansweep. then run a fresh set of wire to your new speakers. use the OEM HU. easy as that. (well it would be a lot of work, but simple in concept)
Old 03-06-2007, 02:22 AM

C320T 4matic & 500SL
Sorry I don't know the german "netzteil" in english...

An you need this to have the real power. Bose don't have this so they reduce the impendance of the speaker to get a bigger A at the same U because P=U*I

Normal Sound Systems are running at 4Ohm, Bose at 2 Ohm an below...

If you buy an aftermarket amplifier to replace the bose it should work at 2 Ohm. But it's better to replace the amplifier an the speakers. The fibre optik cable has nothing to do with the speakers. In the 208 it only connects phone an CD-changer.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by westonian
im not super keen on these optical systems, but couldnt you just tap the speaker leads and run them to a RF360 or JL cleansweep. then run a fresh set of wire to your new speakers. use the OEM HU. easy as that. (well it would be a lot of work, but simple in concept)
Yup, that will work if you want to keep the stock head unit. It is still a big job.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:23 AM

2009 c300
Originally Posted by edward
m444,

Can I ask how much did this cost you roughly and did you get the work done in the SF Bay Area? If so, where did you get it done? I have a 2001 CLK 55 AMG and I'm considering replacing the COMAND with an AVIC-2 or Alpine or Eclipse Double DIN Nav system... and possibly getting new speakers...

Thanks in advance!
I have the AVIC-2 in my truck now and about to buy a 99 e300. I was considering selling the AVIC-2 and trying the COMMAND upgrade. Since you want AVIC-2 and I want COMMAND maybe we can work something out?

I am pretty new to this ( Mercedes that is not 12v electronics), and have not done all the research. I know I need a new dash kit to make it fit, what else?