Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Rear aux-in pin outs on ML W164

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear aux-in pin outs on ML W164

Hello, I have a ML W164 with command APS, Ipod kit but no Rear DVD system. With the Ipod kit, I don't have the jack input in glovebox, so I need to use Rear input in Command menu. In the menu, you have choice between : CDC, Radio, CD, Aux and Rear. I'm looking to connect audio to rear.

Under the right back passenger seat, there is a place to put the OEM DVD player. As I don't have this player, I've seen two connectors not connected. I guess that these connectors are for the DVD system with video and audio connection.

Do someone know the pin outs of these connectors ?

Thank you !
Old 03-06-2007, 10:55 PM

'07 ML320 CDI
I'm not sure I understand your situation 100%, but I can offer some observations.

I have an '07 ML320 CDI with the dual-screen DVD option. The under-seat DVD unit also has (2) sets of yellow/white/red RCA jacks for connecting a video game unit or other device. The audio out from the DVD unit is channeled into the AUX port on the back of the COMAND, which is why the AUX jack is missing from the glovebox.

I want to have the AUX jack back, so I've ordered the AUX jack cable from my local dealer, part #A 164 540 65 07, ~$50 USD. I intend to disconnect the rear sound input and restore the AUX in glovebox functionality. (My kids can use the headphones, I want to use my iPod and not have to use the iPod integration kit, and for the times I want the DVD sound to feed through the central stereo system, I can connect a cable between the headrest headphone jack and the glovebox AUX jack...)

So my point is, have you considered installing the AUX jack back into the glovebox? I'm not sure that the iPod Integration kit uses the AUX input on the back of the COMAND...

Last edited by digimark; 03-06-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:19 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by oneilalien
Hello, I have a ML W164 with command APS, Ipod kit but no Rear DVD system. With the Ipod kit, I don't have the jack input in glovebox, so I need to use Rear input in Command menu. In the menu, you have choice between : CDC, Radio, CD, Aux and Rear. I'm looking to connect audio to rear.

Under the right back passenger seat, there is a place to put the OEM DVD player. As I don't have this player, I've seen two connectors not connected. I guess that these connectors are for the DVD system with video and audio connection.

Do someone know the pin outs of these connectors ?

Thank you !
the "rear" button is for enabling the rear output... not a seperate rear input. the factory RES uses the same aux input that the ipod kit or the glovebox aux jack uses. if you want to have a seperate auxiliary input you need to have a switcher installed that will allow you to select between the glovebox jack and ipod.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Originally Posted by digimark
So my point is, have you considered installing the AUX jack back into the glovebox? I'm not sure that the iPod Integration kit uses the AUX input on the back of the COMAND...
The Ipod kit and the aux in jack use the same terminals on the rear of the head unit. You cannot have both at the same time.

You can wire a switch to select one or the other, or build a little mixer to combine the two signals. Both projects require some engineering skills.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:31 AM

'07 ML320 CDI
I just finished installing the Aux->glovebox minijack, so I understand what Moviela said. For all the sophistication of the COMAND/MCS system, there is only one external audio input on the unit, and the glovebox jack, the iPod integration kit and the RSES all have to use it to channel their sound into the car-wide system.

As an aside, what was MBZ thinking? Multiple external inputs have been standard on even low-end system head units for years.

In the case of a truck with both the iPod kit and the RSES, the iPod kit must have some kind of piggyback input. It must be a function of the controller that comes with the iPod kit to discriminate between iPod and DVD output when both are playing. Does anyone know if there is a source selection in the MFD on the dash gauge cluster?

It would seem like a good third-party opportunity to come up with a small, simple two-way or three-way switch.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:01 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by digimark
I just finished installing the Aux->glovebox minijack, so I understand what Moviela said. For all the sophistication of the COMAND/MCS system, there is only one external audio input on the unit, and the glovebox jack, the iPod integration kit and the RSES all have to use it to channel their sound into the car-wide system.

As an aside, what was MBZ thinking? Multiple external inputs have been standard on even low-end system head units for years.

In the case of a truck with both the iPod kit and the RSES, the iPod kit must have some kind of piggyback input. It must be a function of the controller that comes with the iPod kit to discriminate between iPod and DVD output when both are playing. Does anyone know if there is a source selection in the MFD on the dash gauge cluster?

It would seem like a good third-party opportunity to come up with a small, simple two-way or three-way switch.

if you factory order both RSES and the IPOD kit then the ipod kit includes an auto switch which switches to RSES when the ipod is not plugged in. when you plug in the ipod it automatically switches to ipod. if you order the ipod kit as an aftermarket install it does not come with the switch.

finally my firm has been building a switcher for over a year now. it does exactly what is needed, switching between the glovebox jack, RSES and IPOD depending on what is selected on a switch in the glove box next to the jack. we also are developing a multi switch for audio and video that is controlled directly via the steering wheel controls, allowing multiple audio and video sources to be selected independantly. that will probably be ready by late spring.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:27 AM

need pinouts

i need the w164 RSES dvd pinouts / wiring diag !!!