Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

sub boxes online?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sub boxes online?

anyone have a website with good prices? speakerhole.com is the best i've found so far. i need about four of them.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you've got any skills with wood, screws, glue, and silicone sealant, I would strongly suggest building your own. Look up the specifications of the subwoofer(s) you plan on mounting and find the optimal box volume for the frequency response you want. Sealed boxes are easiest and give the tightest bass. Ported and bandpass boxes are louder and "boomier", with a spike in the frequency response around the lowest frequencies.

I built an incredibly solid, totally air-tight sealed box for a single 12W6 in about 4 hours and at a cost of less than $50. Most of the pre-built boxes that you would buy are poorly built with 1/2" MDF at best, and particleboard at worst. Plus they are stapled or nailed together and are only sealed by a cheap bead of glue. I built my box out of 3/4" MDF and it is held together with screws every 4 inches along the edges. All the inside edges are sealed with silicone sealant (actually it's this flexible sealant stuff that I got at the hardware store).

You could probably pay someone to make you a box like mine for about $200. It would be optimal, and would be a million times better than any pre-packaged box.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:15 AM

Oh yeah, you can buy some nice backed industrial-type carpet at a home center for about $5 per yard (by about 6 feet long). You can easily cut it with a utility knife and you can glue it to the box with 3M Super 77 (or Super 90) spray adhesive. Super 77 is tough stuff once it dries, that carpet will never come off.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:17 AM

You can get terminal cups for the box from www.partsexpress.com.