Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Aftermarket GPS - Antenna placement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c300
Aftermarket GPS - Antenna placement?

So I am about to buy the new AVIC-D3 and do a double din install on my w210. This will require a 2 new antenna - one for the GPS and one for Sirius. My car has the "Shark Fin" antenna on the roof, any way to use that or something that looks like that as a combined antenna for AVIC-D3? I don't care about AM/FM at all. IF the answer is no, then where do I put these 2 ugly little black warts?

Thanks - Dylan
Old 04-13-2007, 01:35 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by dylancarter
So I am about to buy the new AVIC-D3 and do a double din install on my w210. This will require a 2 new antenna - one for the GPS and one for Sirius. My car has the "Shark Fin" antenna on the roof, any way to use that or something that looks like that as a combined antenna for AVIC-D3? I don't care about AM/FM at all. IF the answer is no, then where do I put these 2 ugly little black warts?

Thanks - Dylan
well first of all if you originally had nav or teleaid than you already have a gps antenna and can use it. if you had sirius you cna use the factory sirius antenna. if you decide that you want to use the antennas that come with the avic they both can be hidden inside the front cowl on the hood. one side is used for HVAC intake, the other is not used. both antennas can be mounted inside the space under the grille. just make sure that you sit them on a metal plate to provide proper ground plane.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The roof-mount shark fin antenna on 2007 W211, etc. is three-band, i.e. GPS, phone, and Sirius.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:01 PM

2009 c300
Thanks

I have not looked at the inside of my car to see if my "shark fin" has wires, but the car does not have a factory GPS. If I do use a tri-band sharkfin, do I then need a splitter for the GPS and Sirrius?

If that is a hassle, then the under the hood sounds like a great option

Thanks so much for the ideas.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by dylancarter
I have not looked at the inside of my car to see if my "shark fin" has wires, but the car does not have a factory GPS. If I do use a tri-band sharkfin, do I then need a splitter for the GPS and Sirrius?

If that is a hassle, then the under the hood sounds like a great option

Thanks so much for the ideas.
The roof mounted fin on you car does not work for sirius. Factory Sirius was not even out for the mercedes when the 210 was in production so I don't know why or How you think this will work because it won't.
I'm not even sure if the 2007 info is accurate, but with respect to the poster for trying to assist you, it's application should not be confused with how it is applied to your vehicle.
In 1999-2006 the rooftop antenna was for Tele-Aid. A separate GPS antenna was located in the rear window, and a trunk mounted antenna is used for SDARS.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:02 AM

'06 C230 Silver (SOLD), '14 Black C250 Coupe, '16 Deep Ocean Blue Silverado
Originally Posted by my06clk
The roof mounted fin on you car does not work for sirius. Factory Sirius was not even out for the mercedes when the 210 was in production so I don't know why or How you think this will work because it won't.
I'm not even sure if the 2007 info is accurate, but with respect to the poster for trying to assist you, it's application should not be confused with how it is applied to your vehicle.
In 1999-2006 the rooftop antenna was for Tele-Aid. A separate GPS antenna was located in the rear window, and a trunk mounted antenna is used for SDARS.
my06clk--
So in my 06 c230 the antenna on the top of the rear window is only for Tele-Aid? I was actually hoping that it had the nav antenna in it also. My car doesn't have nav or Tel-Aid as far as I know (purchased it pre-owned). Are all MY 06 prewired for Tel-Aid and/or nav?