Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Replacing Sirius Antenna on W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
The issue of stronger signal reception has several issues involved. Without getting into all of them, the one I will address is the angle of reception. I have clearly found that with the antenna mounted further away from the edge of the roadway will help eliminate some dropouts. The reason is simply physical angle to the tree and roof line of the adjoining roadway. On a left hand drive car I would mount the antenna towards the left side of the car. This would result in a slightly larger "clear" line of sight to sattelites. In regards to your trunk mounting, I would totally eliminate the trunk mounting, fill the hole with something like "http://www.bumperplugs.com/" (I've used them for my bumper only) and mount a the stock XM antenna on the rear window shelf. For some reason my MB with this mounting has had the best reception of most any of my vehicle mountings. Hope this helps. Good luck
Glenn
Old 07-27-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 CLS63
does anyone know the part number (if there is one) for a prepainted small sat. antena in brilliant silver...i have an 04' S-class. my dealer tells me it's $470 dollars and doesn't come prepainted. they did have the splitter though. thanks in advance for your help!

john
Old 08-04-2007, 12:01 PM

'08 CLS63
just an update...

i purchased the small antenna in primer and had the local body shop paint it. MB doesn't offer the antenna in brilliant silver.

the install...a piece of cake. my car had the old style antenna (hockey puck). with my car, the splitter wouldn't work...the connections wouldn't work together. so...i simply took the one wire from the new antenna and plugged it into the one of the two existing wires (the one without the black retention tab) and it works perfect.

john
Old 08-05-2007, 04:58 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by housclass
just an update...

i purchased the small antenna in primer and had the local body shop paint it. MB doesn't offer the antenna in brilliant silver.

the install...a piece of cake. my car had the old style antenna (hockey puck). with my car, the splitter wouldn't work...the connections wouldn't work together. so...i simply took the one wire from the new antenna and plugged it into the one of the two existing wires (the one without the black retention tab) and it works perfect.

john

just fyi... the splitter goes in at the sirius unit itself (see the pics i posted above). if you use an aftermarket splitter like the terk piece you need to take a razor blade and remove a small 1mm plastic tab on the blue connector that keeps the yellow one from sliding onto it. then you take the existing antenna lead ( the one you did plug into) and plug it into the other end of the splitter.

that will get you the terrestrial signal which you dont have right now...
Old 08-05-2007, 01:21 PM

'08 CLS63
from reading your post above it seems that i would have to run a cable from the unit to the antenna...where is the unit? i did buy the splitter from the dealer and it has the blue end on it. thanks for your help!

john