Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

SL55 - external AV

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-25-2002, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ...I HAVE A 2003 S CLASS FACE LIFT

Originally posted by cone
Let me tell you, this is my second S class I have (w220), this new comand works much better than 2.5, and faster, it can read audio cd´s it hasn´t tape, but it has an aux input for mp3 or tape type stereo mini plug. Rear tv monitor works very good as well.

Ok, what do you do to listen to the aux input.

This sounds like it may be a derivatve of COMAND 2.0 - which
is good because it may be possible to enable the TV to work
all the time.

If you are feeling adventerous, then try the following :-
(1) Select AUX input mode
(2) Hold down MUTE, 1 and 3 buttons altogether for 10 seconds

<should now get diagnostic screen>

Enter configuration, then try the menus until you get a screen with a load of ticks (or empty tick boxes) - and let me know what
is on that screen, including any numbers at the bottom of the screen

Thanks
R
Old 10-26-2002, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ...I HAVE A 2003 S CLASS FACE LIFT

Originally posted by Richard
Ok, what do you do to listen to the aux input.

This sounds like it may be a derivatve of COMAND 2.0 - which
is good because it may be possible to enable the TV to work
all the time.

If you are feeling adventerous, then try the following :-
(1) Select AUX input mode
(2) Hold down MUTE, 1 and 3 buttons altogether for 10 seconds

<should now get diagnostic screen>

Enter configuration, then try the menus until you get a screen with a load of ticks (or empty tick boxes) - and let me know what
is on that screen, including any numbers at the bottom of the screen

Thanks
R
This is what i see:
Configuration: tv tuner,telephone full, telematic, telematic via d2b
At the bottom of the screen:
CFG 23 , ED 08 , RADIMPULS 30
if you need more information or some digital pics, tell me
Best regards
Old 10-26-2002, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ...I HAVE A 2003 S CLASS FACE LIFT

This is what i see:
Configuration: tv tuner,telephone full, telematic, telematic via d2b
At the bottom of the screen:
CFG 23 , ED 08 , RADIMPULS 30
if you need more information or some digital pics, tell me
Best regards
Perfect. That is still basically the original COMAND system made by Bosch, rather than the new DVD based Becker system.

This means that if your dealer still has Star Diagnosis 5/2002 or before, he can turn off the TV safety interlocks.

(for the technical minded, 23 ED 08 are the bytes that control what options/interlocks are in place. The dealer's computer will change that to 23 ED 00 and that movement TV interlock will be gone)
Old 10-26-2002, 01:11 PM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ...I HAVE A 2003 S CLASS FACE LIFT

Perfect. That is still basically the original COMAND system made by Bosch, rather than the new DVD based Becker system.

This means that if your dealer still has Star Diagnosis 5/2002 or before, he can turn off the TV safety interlocks.

(for the technical minded, 23 ED 08 are the bytes that control what options/interlocks are in place. The dealer's computer will change that to 23 ED 00 and that movement TV interlock will be gone)
Can you tell me how the dealer set up software on Star diagnosis, via cd rom or via internet? If dealer can´t change to 5/2002 or before version, what can we do?
Old 10-26-2002, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ...I HAVE A 2003 S CLASS FACE LIFT

Can you tell me how the dealer set up software on Star diagnosis, via cd rom or via internet? If dealer can´t change to 5/2002 or before version, what can we do?
They get 2 * CD, or 1 * DVD once a month(ish) and just load it into their IBM laptop which has some special hardware attached to it.

If you cant find a dealer with Star, then you could do what nightsea is doing (see earlier in this thread I think), which is to find someone who knows Linux, download my Linux diagnostic software, buy an PC->ISO interface and connect it to the car. I'll then tell you the comands you need to type into my s/w to get those values changed to the right ones.
(remembering that the COMAND unit is on a special pin of the diagnostic connector, so get some extra pins for the connector)

Cheers

R
Old 10-27-2002, 08:22 AM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Re: SL55 - external AV

Originally posted by NightSea
According to SL55 COMMAND owner's manual ,
it is possible to connect two external devices to TV system(AV1
and AV2).

1. Are these devices RCA jacks?

2. Where are these devices? To see them , should the COMMAND
be disassembed from the car?

3. My car is German model ( only Pal ). Do those devices accept
only PAL video signal?

4. Factory setting of TV is ; you can see only when the car is
stationary. I guess that a electric line is connected with
gear position box. If so, what will happen if I cut the line.

5. Do you know the version of SL55 COMMAND exactly ?
I checked www.megacomm.de and according to that site,
COMMAND 2.0 DX is used for SL class(R230).
But, what they shows for " SL class (R 230)" is different
from that of SL55.

Thanks
Please, visit this page, you will find your a/v cable and a TV rear interfase that you can use to send av signal to your sun mirror.
https://ssl.kundenserver.de/s2495036...cht.shopscript
Old 10-27-2002, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
............I see this question has resurfaced again. The site you refered to sand the items are well known to me. The first adapter listed, I believe it is called item 1201 simply plugs into your Tv tunner and provides AV/input. It is just a replacement for the adapter that the Tv tunner comes with. The tunner itself should have such an adapter and provide RCA input jacks. This is the case when you purchase the Tv tunner separately and instal it. If the SL55 already comes with a Tv tunner, I belive that somewhjere in the back of the tunner or elsewhere in the trnk or cabin there will be RCa input jacks. So my point is that I do't think this adapter is neccessary. The third adapter is simply the so called Megacomm adapter. You use this if you do not have a Tv tunner. It is used top provide RCa input to the command without going through a Tv tunner. If you want to supply video input to a monitor, separate from the command monitor, You may require the middle adapter. The problem is that The M-class has such a system with sepatrate monitor for rear passengers. But I understood that the reason you want the sn visor monitors is because you are unable to disengage the interlock that prevents you from watching video while in motion. If you use this adapter, you will still have the same problem and will be unable to watch video on your sun visor monitors while in motion. I think a pre-2002 star dignosis program will be able to disable the interlock. If you were in USA, I will know where to refer you.

Ted
Old 10-27-2002, 05:13 PM

2003 CL 55 AMG
Command System?? (Ted Baldwin, Richard) Help!!!

Hello,

I am taking delivery of a 2003 CL 55 AMG US Version..... Is it possible to use the Command System to wach DVD or play Playstation? Please Help!!!!
Old 10-28-2002, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Command System?? (Ted Baldwin, Richard) Help!!!

Originally posted by nduarte
Hello,

I am taking delivery of a 2003 CL 55 AMG US Version..... Is it possible to use the Command System to wach DVD or play Playstation? Please Help!!!!

You need to add either a TV tuner, or a "megacomm a/v adapter", then U can plug in the playstation or an external DVD player.

Best talk/go-see nav-tv, who is somewhere on this board, as he is the person/company in the US that has done this before.

In the UK, speak to Braybrooks, Ive only heard good things about them.

R
Old 10-28-2002, 04:14 AM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Originally posted by Ted Baldwin
............I see this question has resurfaced again. The site you refered to sand the items are well known to me. The first adapter listed, I believe it is called item 1201 simply plugs into your Tv tunner and provides AV/input. It is just a replacement for the adapter that the Tv tunner comes with. The tunner itself should have such an adapter and provide RCA input jacks. This is the case when you purchase the Tv tunner separately and instal it. If the SL55 already comes with a Tv tunner, I belive that somewhjere in the back of the tunner or elsewhere in the trnk or cabin there will be RCa input jacks. So my point is that I do't think this adapter is neccessary. The third adapter is simply the so called Megacomm adapter. You use this if you do not have a Tv tunner. It is used top provide RCa input to the command without going through a Tv tunner. If you want to supply video input to a monitor, separate from the command monitor, You may require the middle adapter. The problem is that The M-class has such a system with sepatrate monitor for rear passengers. But I understood that the reason you want the sn visor monitors is because you are unable to disengage the interlock that prevents you from watching video while in motion. If you use this adapter, you will still have the same problem and will be unable to watch video on your sun visor monitors while in motion. I think a pre-2002 star dignosis program will be able to disable the interlock. If you were in USA, I will know where to refer you.

Ted
If you have a MB tv tuner before 2003, you haven´t RCA plugs, and you need to use an A/V adapter to RCA . If you install the mercedes fond monitor adapter, you will have av signal from tv tuner. It works great, I did it in my old S class and you can watch tv while is moving or av1 or av2 inputs
Old 10-28-2002, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you have a MB tv tuner before 2003, you haven´t RCA plugs, and you need to use an A/V adapter to RCA . If you install the mercedes fond monitor adapter, you will have av signal from tv tuner. It works great, I did it in my old S class and you can watch tv while is moving or av1 or av2 inputs
While were covering old ground, the old tuner (without RCA) does not support NTSC (US standard tv), the new one with RCA's does.

R
Old 10-28-2002, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
[B]If you have a MB tv tuner before 2003, you haven´t RCA plugs, and you need to use an A/V adapter to RCA . If you install the mercedes fond monitor adapter, you will have av signal from tv tuner. It works great, I did it in my old S class and you can watch tv while is moving or av1 or av2 inputs[/B

................the problem is no longer how to get RCA input to the command. That as you know has been done already several times. The problem is how to get the 2003 command/Tv tunners to work while in motion. Doing it for pre-2003 S-class, unfortunately has nothing to do with being able to do it now because the currentt software does not allow you diengage the safety interlocks. It does not make sense that having video ouput from ythe tunner to an accessory monitor will somehow disable the safety interlocks and allow one to watch Tv while in motion in a 2003 car. Regarding the RCA input for pre-2003 Tv tunner............When you purchase a pre-2003 Tv tunner like I did way back in early 2001, it comes with the adapters for RCA input. If the 2003 Tv tunners come hard wired with RCA inputs, the end result is not any different. The main difference between 2003 and pre-2003 Tv tunners is as Richard stated.........the earlier Tv tunners are not NTSC capable. RCA input to the Command is a relatively minor problem especially since the availability of the Megacomm adapter

Regarding Mr. Neil Brooks at Braybrooks.........I have done business with him before. I recently refered a client to him and he did beautiful work but was unable to disengage the safety interlocks. So far I unaware of anyone being abl to disengage this safety feature in a 2003 car. My suspicion however is that this may simply be as easy as using using the old star diagnosis program that has not been updated. In summary, I am happy you were able to do what you did for your S-class........unfortunately we have all done that already. We are trying to figure out what to do with the 2003 star diagnosis program.

Ted
Old 10-29-2002, 04:36 AM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
[B]If you have a MB tv tuner before 2003, you haven´t RCA plugs, and you need to use an A/V adapter to RCA . If you install the mercedes fond monitor adapter, you will have av signal from tv tuner. It works great, I did it in my old S class and you can watch tv while is moving or av1 or av2 inputs[/B

................the problem is no longer how to get RCA input to the command. That as you know has been done already several times. The problem is how to get the 2003 command/Tv tunners to work while in motion. Doing it for pre-2003 S-class, unfortunately has nothing to do with being able to do it now because the currentt software does not allow you diengage the safety interlocks. It does not make sense that having video ouput from ythe tunner to an accessory monitor will somehow disable the safety interlocks and allow one to watch Tv while in motion in a 2003 car. Regarding the RCA input for pre-2003 Tv tunner............When you purchase a pre-2003 Tv tunner like I did way back in early 2001, it comes with the adapters for RCA input. If the 2003 Tv tunners come hard wired with RCA inputs, the end result is not any different. The main difference between 2003 and pre-2003 Tv tunners is as Richard stated.........the earlier Tv tunners are not NTSC capable. RCA input to the Command is a relatively minor problem especially since the availability of the Megacomm adapter

Regarding Mr. Neil Brooks at Braybrooks.........I have done business with him before. I recently refered a client to him and he did beautiful work but was unable to disengage the safety interlocks. So far I unaware of anyone being abl to disengage this safety feature in a 2003 car. My suspicion however is that this may simply be as easy as using using the old star diagnosis program that has not been updated. In summary, I am happy you were able to do what you did for your S-class........unfortunately we have all done that already. We are trying to figure out what to do with the 2003 star diagnosis program.

Ted
Next week, my dealer will change only for me, the stardiagnisis software before 5/2002, for turn off tv tuner while is runnung. I hope give you good news.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:47 AM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Next week, my dealer will change only for me, the stardiagnisis software before 5/2002, for turn off tv tuner while is runnung. I hope give you good news.
I would like to make two questions. Do you think that when my dealer use old software on my 2003 s class will recognize my car?
If all is ok, when my car in conected again to 2003 stardiag , what happen with changes made with 2002 version?
Old 10-29-2002, 06:50 AM

S600L/SL55
Richard--current situation

Richard

Today I received the fully compiled program on Linux.
Compiled file name is SCAN TOOL.
When it is executed, Help massage is appeared.

The screen shows:

Help code Scantool version 0.2
Type Help for a list of commands
Type scan to start ODBII Scan

Do you think the compiling was done properly?

-----------------------------------

The hardware is not yet arrived.

Thanks.

Last edited by NightSea; 10-29-2002 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:15 PM

2003 CL 55 AMG

You need to add either a TV tuner, or a "megacomm a/v adapter", then U can plug in the playstation or an external DVD player.

Richard,

Will this adapter also allow me to play the playstation while in motion?

Thanks in advance !!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by nduarte
Will this adapter also allow me to play the playstation while in motion?
Now THAT's a road hazard!
Old 10-29-2002, 02:32 PM

2003 CL 55 AMG
2003 CL 55 Command System

The command system in a 2003 CL is that a 2.0 or 2.5 I want to order the adapter from Megacomm however i dont know which adapter to order. Also is this all i need to allow the Command to display playstation???

thanks again
Old 10-29-2002, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
...............the megacomm adapter will allow you to play PS2 but not while in motion unless you disengage the safety iterlock we have been discussing. The command for the 2003 SL class looks like it is basically a modified Command 2.0. The previous S and CL-class cars had command 2.5. I do not know what ype of command the new CL and S-class will have. But it appears that MB is moving away from Command 2.5.

Ted
Old 10-29-2002, 10:19 PM

2003 CL 55 AMG

...............the megacomm adapter will allow you to play PS2 but not while in motion unless you disengage the safety iterlock we have been discussing. The command for the 2003 SL class looks like it is basically a modified Command 2.0. The previous S and CL-class cars had command 2.5. I do not know what ype of command the new CL and S-class will have. But it appears that MB is moving away from Command 2.5.

Thankss Ted

So would you suggest i wait to see what type of command this 2003 CL has. I was gonna order the adapter however i dont know if i should order the 2.0 adapter or 2.5 adapter. Also is it even possible to disengage the safety iterlock for these 2003 CL models..........

thanks again
Old 10-30-2002, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
..............the main obstacle now is in disabling the safety interlock which as far as I know has not been done in a 2003 MB yet. This does not mean that it can't be done. If I were in your shoes, I know I will not want video input unless I can still have it while in motion, so I will first get the car and make sure that the safety feature can be disaabled then order the adapter. Another option which at first seems crazy is to just go ahead and order the 2.5 and 2.0 adapters. It seems like a waste of money at first, but you can easily sell the one you don't use. Those things sell like hotcakes because the megacomm site is in German and non German speakers dislike navigating the website and will gladly pay you more for it. I know because I have spare2.0 adapter sitting on my desk and I have been offered $150 above the megacomm price, but I decided not to sell.

Ted
Old 11-04-2002, 12:01 PM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Question Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ...I HAVE A 2003 S CLASS FACE LIFT

Richard:
This saturday, 9th Nov, my dealer will change interlocks as you told me. He has star diagnosis 5/2002 software, and he is going to install it for me. Is this soft ok?
thanks
Old 11-04-2002, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ...I HAVE A 2003 S CLASS FACE LIFT

Richard:
This saturday, 9th Nov, my dealer will change interlocks as you told me. He has star diagnosis 5/2002 software, and he is going to install it for me. Is this soft ok?
thanks
Yes- my local dealer just did this for one of their customers/friends (ie installed 5/2002 and removed the interlocks)

Cheers
R
Old 11-04-2002, 04:05 PM

SL55
Richard, please check your private messages

Richard, please check your private messages.

Thanks Graham.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:56 AM

TV Tuner & Comand AV Connectors

For those that live in the UK, you can now buy the Comand TV and AV cables from "Intergrated Technologies" (Staffordshire) appointed dealer... Tel: 0182 769069

The TV Tuner output cable (so you can feed the TV Tuner etc to rear screens) is £105. The part number is MER 03VID.

Intergrated Technologies is developing a web site, but has dealers all over the UK... They can also supply the AV cables, probably MER 01 and 02 VID numbers I assume.

My nearest IT dealer was 2 miles away.. great news

Last edited by Londonboy; 11-05-2002 at 07:11 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55 - external AV