Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

HELP 463 COMAND in w203

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP 463 COMAND in w203

I am in US and I have a C320 MY 2003; recently I have start looking for ways to add AUX to my audio system, which was an Audio 30. That was the starting point of my MB upgrade; I have ended up with the following:
- COMAND 2.0 (from a 463 car I changed the gyro angle to 25)
- Phone system with Blue Tooth puck
- Voice control module
After I have installed every thing I have taken the car to the MB dealer for Version Coding and even after this dealer tells me they can not get the IC to communicate with COMAND (so I have no steering wheel controls for COMAND or the phone) Any kind of advice that would help me solve the issue will be greatly appreciated
Old 05-15-2007, 08:56 PM

Smile Problem Solved

The C2 connector in the back of the COMAND was not inserted enough. My fault! Every thing works now. The only other thing that I need to resolve is to make the COMAND to get the speed signal from the CAN Bus. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by rvasud
The C2 connector in the back of the COMAND was not inserted enough. My fault! Every thing works now. The only other thing that I need to resolve is to make the COMAND to get the speed signal from the CAN Bus. Any advice will be appreciated.
LOL I had the exact thing happen to me.. Dealer told me it was the 463 comand.. turns out the wake-up connection from c2 wasn't in all the way.

I have pics of where you need to put the speed signal if you pm me your address I will sent it all to you. You can also add aux input if you want I have that information also.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:48 AM

Thank you for the replay. I know exactly where the wire for the speed impulse should be connected. And yes I have installed the AUX harness too.
I was just wondering if it is possible to change something in the COMAND unit setting through the STAR computer so it receives the speed through CAN Bus
Old 05-16-2007, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Thank you for the replay. I know exactly where the wire for the speed impulse should be connected. And yes I have installed the AUX harness too.
I was just wondering if it is possible to change something in the COMAND unit setting through the STAR computer so it receives the speed through CAN Bus
Oh okay.. that would be kinda hard since the unit was hardwired to receive speed from a certain place. The wiring in the car also may not support that function. Question, what would you gain using this method as opposed to the going the route for this connection?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:53 PM

Exclamation

Hi, and thank you for your reply. I am trying to keep the car as close as possible to the original, and also trying to avoid taking the COMAND out one more time. According to the forums what I am looking for it has been done before, I just need to get the people that had this done to explain the process that the dealer need to follow to recode the COMAND.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Originally Posted by my06clk
Oh okay.. that would be kinda hard since the unit was hardwired to receive speed from a certain place. The wiring in the car also may not support that function. Question, what would you gain using this method as opposed to the going the route for this connection?
Actually, I strongly suspect that if the dealer uses Star system to tell the unit that it is in a W203 it will then look on CANbus - save getting a wire from A connector to the front SAM.

The W208 units (with MY01 s/w upgrade) in Europe can be told they are in a W163 and then they use discrete power, and maybee speed signals rather than CAN speed signal)

The W210 units actually have the hardware for some of the discrete signals missing (i.e 2 transistors) but some units need wired speed signal and others dont.
- but clearly the W463 unit does have that hardware.

If the dealer needs help, here is how to use Star to do this ..

Go into star diagnosis, select your model etc, then go into
Control Units
Information and Communication
D2B - COMAND or AUDIO
Control Unit Adaptations
Read coding and change if necessary
Variant coding

In that menu, set the following
Vehicle Model = Normal (W)
Model series = 203
Steering Version = Left-hand steering
Interior equipment = Leather (or Cloth if you have cloth)
National Language = US English
Fader = ON (assuming you have speakers in the back !!)

The Steering version and interior equipment settings set the sound equalisation, if wrong sound will be not nearly as good as it could be
Fader is set to ON if you have rear speakers (most likely) or OFF if you dont

Please let us know if you do this and it works !!

Cheers

Richard
Old 05-17-2007, 09:25 AM

Thank you Richard, I will go to the dealer today or tomorow and if something changes I will let you know.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Hello Richard,

I stopped by my dealer today and he did the Version Coding according to your instructions but I still do not have any positive results. I also asked him to change the wheel impulse from 48 to 0 but the computer comes back with an error message. If you have any other suggestions please advice. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2007, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Hello Richard,

I stopped by my dealer today and he did the Version Coding according to your instructions but I still do not have any positive results. I also asked him to change the wheel impulse from 48 to 0 but the computer comes back with an error message. If you have any other suggestions please advice. Thank you!
Now he has done that, look in the hidden diagnostic menu (see www.mercupgrades.com for info) at the infos screen - is it still always saying speed is zero ?

The impluse thing is fixed at 48 - i've seen at 0 once on a brand new unit - so don't worry about that.

I think you will probably have to run a wire :-(

Richard
Old 05-22-2007, 07:00 AM

Thank you!