Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

COMMAND Navigation System questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COMMAND Navigation System questions

OK ... here are my specs:

I have a 2003 CLK 430 Cabriolet. I just recieved the #8 CD (released in 2002) for California and Nevada. Now I don't see any street names when I have the map on. Only the street name as I am driving and maybe a few gas stations, parking structures and the Interstate Name. The CD I have is released in 2002. I had a 2004 CD for the East Coast, but I don't remember if street names were shown.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible for my model of COMMAND to show all the street names as I am driving past them? If so, how can I fix mine?

2) If it is not possible, what can I do to upgrade the built in COMMAND system?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
Sorry to say, there isn't much you can do on either issue. The MB navigation for your year and model is the pits. Your best bet is a portable name brand unit like Garmin. It's not built in, but will give you the info and detail that you desire. I would suggest just using the MB unit as much as possible then switch over to the portable unit when you need to find a particular item not listed on the MB unit. There are many posts here complaining about the same issues.
Glenn
Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by ahr19
OK ... here are my specs:

I have a 2003 CLK 430 Cabriolet. I just recieved the #8 CD (released in 2002) for California and Nevada. Now I don't see any street names when I have the map on. Only the street name as I am driving and maybe a few gas stations, parking structures and the Interstate Name. The CD I have is released in 2002. I had a 2004 CD for the East Coast, but I don't remember if street names were shown.
You might try checking whether you have the latest CD update, especially if the street names are inaccurate.

One contributor noted recently that some communities do not provide input to the map database manufacturers, when requested - which can result in streets being depicted, but no information on the names. That would include the street you may be driving on, or even live on.

However, even if accurate, street name depiction for smaller roads was limited on CD - based systems. That became available on the DVD based nav systems.