Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

My Interior and Exterior Mods - MBenzNL On Board

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
My Interior and Exterior Mods - MBenzNL On Board

Guess who just spent a few days @ my house doing about a dozen installs. Most pix speak for themselves...

(this was done last trip...)

(yes, car interior is very dirty!) My 1998 C43 was converted from analog to digital for both phone and CD by Steve on his last trip here a few years ago. Woa was that a killer job. Steve Rulez!

What is it? Video & Audio input (and power lead) to the TV button on the COMAND. Now just gotta buy a PAL DVD player... Plan on mounting the DVD player to the back of the center console, vertically. Thinking of getting one with a swivel screen, to give a display in the back too. (not into headrest screens myself)

Camera had trouble focusing within the Glove Compartment ... should have maybe tried the macro setting... What is it? COMAND AUX input for iPod or XM/Sirrus sat. radio.

I think I "broke" Steve on this one... Around 4am he was saying something to the effect of "I'm not even going to try to sell the sills I have left in stock ... I think I'm just going to throw them out". :p (camera had trouble focusing on these sills when lit ... this is the best one) I love how it reflects @ a certain angle. Steve, thanx so much for the added time & effort on these. I know you won't do it for everyone. I really appreciate it.

... and they're 4-way ...

No those aren't Amber fronts (but I think Steve's going to send me a set, if he was serious or remembers), but that's not the point of this pic.

This is the point...

Click HERE for source of the pix above plus many more...

Click HERE for some of the other cars Steve worked on this leg of his journey.

Steve, Thanx So Much! I hope you made it to DC ok, got to do both installs, and made your flight. I don't know how you do it.

Oh, and finally, here's my [ahem] favorite mod (that's sarcasm)... done to my front rims last weekend coming back from the northeast AMG/MB fest...

I'm very thankful I bought used beat-up 3-piece rims ; will be sending all 4 to Kinesis for new drums outside and inside when they're bent. BTW, any recommendations on what color to make the centers? Planning on getting that re-done too... Gloss black? Gloss gunmetal?

What else is there to do? Just need to do the suspension (waiting for delivery), then maybe paint the parts of the car that needs it, if not all. ...oh, and LSD ... and headers/exhaust ... probably not doing a manual conversion as I'd have to go standalone engine controller and would also lose my beautiful AMG cluster.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing MB related (sorry)
Hey Steve! The pleasure was all ours.

Thank you, too, for hosting my little brother. And yes, he made it to DC alright (awake, that is). And wasn't able to catch his flight to Chicago in time.

Oh well, he is in IL now, and working - as usual - so it should be alright.

BTW, I like the way your door sills look - even though it was a pain to install them (for my brother ).

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 10-16-2005, 12:57 PM

2004 SL 350 & E class 200K avantgarde
Amazing Nice car, congratulations
I also waiting Mbenznl ......this time,soon.
I will want to get sills...
Old 10-16-2005, 03:50 PM

'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Originally Posted by macgyber
Amazing Nice car, congratulations
I also waiting Mbenznl ......this time,soon.
I will want to get sills...
LOL :p The credit is all Steve's. I just fork over the dough... Don't be surprised if the sills are only available under a "self-install" condition.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:54 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by c55m8o
Steve, Thanx So Much! I hope you made it to DC ok, got to do both installs, and made your flight. I don't know how you do it.
well - I DON"T do it...I got stuck in NY traffic (really cannot understand how people can live there)...arrived too late in washington...missed my flight to chicago...bought another ticket and that flight got delayed by more then 2 hours...also missed the flight from chicago to san francisco earlier this morning (by 2 freaking minutes) and barely had enough time between my alternative flight back to san fran and my flight out to toronto...

besides that - all is weel and good luck with the water problems!

Also - the Hertz neverlost system REALLY SUCKS!

greetingz,
Old 10-18-2005, 09:39 AM

Oh, sHee-at... I'm sorry. I guess this leg of the journey was doomed by not being able to get that flight in here the night before [Tuesday] as you planned. I'm real sorry. Hope you finally caught up!

BTW, my buddy Greg's already thinking about other things to do to his W210; he was inspired by that Silver W211 with all the accessories. He's also talking to all his customers about it ... we'll see (though, those are usually middle-aged LI South Shore wives, who I'll have to end up supporting when they push the wrong buttons and put their COMAND into German Language mode or screw up the clock again...)
Old 10-19-2005, 10:57 AM

66 230S 111.010 02 G500 463
Steve - you look much younger in the New York pics than when I saw you in Chicago

Thanks again for the late night version coding. Next time my dealer touches my COMAND I will supervise the operation!

One thing I meant to ask and forgot -

Can the windows be programmed for "express" or "one touch" UP?? The G has express down but not up. Same situation w/ the sun roof. It will open completely with one touch, but you have to hold the button until it closes.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 10-19-2005, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
well - I DON"T do it...I got stuck in NY traffic (really cannot understand how people can live there)...arrived too late in washington...missed my flight to chicago...bought another ticket and that flight got delayed by more then 2 hours...also missed the flight from chicago to san francisco earlier this morning (by 2 freaking minutes) and barely had enough time between my alternative flight back to san fran and my flight out to toronto...

besides that - all is weel and good luck with the water problems!

greetingz,

Steve thanks for the install of my folding side mirrors... I love them.....
Old 10-19-2005, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by c55m8o
Guess who just spent a few days @ my house doing about a dozen installs. Most pix speak for themselves...

(this was done last trip...)

(yes, car interior is very dirty!) My 1998 C43 was converted from analog to digital for both phone and CD by Steve on his last trip here a few years ago. Woa was that a killer job. Steve Rulez!

Steve,

Thanks for hosting at your place. It was a pleasure meeting you!!!

Christian

What is it? Video & Audio input (and power lead) to the TV button on the COMAND. Now just gotta buy a PAL DVD player... Plan on mounting the DVD player to the back of the center console, vertically. Thinking of getting one with a swivel screen, to give a display in the back too. (not into headrest screens myself)

Camera had trouble focusing within the Glove Compartment ... should have maybe tried the macro setting... What is it? COMAND AUX input for iPod or XM/Sirrus sat. radio.

I think I "broke" Steve on this one... Around 4am he was saying something to the effect of "I'm not even going to try to sell the sills I have left in stock ... I think I'm just going to throw them out". :p (camera had trouble focusing on these sills when lit ... this is the best one) I love how it reflects @ a certain angle. Steve, thanx so much for the added time & effort on these. I know you won't do it for everyone. I really appreciate it.

... and they're 4-way ...

No those aren't Amber fronts (but I think Steve's going to send me a set, if he was serious or remembers), but that's not the point of this pic.

This is the point...

Click HERE for source of the pix above plus many more...

Click HERE for some of the other cars Steve worked on this leg of his journey.

Oh, and finally, here's my [ahem] favorite mod (that's sarcasm)... done to my front rims last weekend coming back from the northeast AMG/MB fest...

I'm very thankful I bought used beat-up 3-piece rims ; will be sending all 4 to Kinesis for new drums outside and inside when they're bent. BTW, any recommendations on what color to make the centers? Planning on getting that re-done too... Gloss black? Gloss gunmetal?

What else is there to do? Just need to do the suspension (waiting for delivery), then maybe paint the parts of the car that needs it, if not all. ...oh, and LSD ... and headers/exhaust ... probably not doing a manual conversion as I'd have to go standalone engine controller and would also lose my beautiful AMG cluster.
Steve,

Thanks for hosting at your house. It was really nice meeting you.... BTW, your C55 is SICK!
Old 10-20-2005, 07:54 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
It's good to know that you like your pf mirrors, Christian! Enjoy!

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 10-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Oh dang, I think I would of came down for this, I really wanted to meet steve

To those getting installs you should of told me and we could of bumped up your installs for a week earlier to maybe entice Steve to come to our Northeast meet, lol
Old 10-20-2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by 55fanatic
Oh dang, I think I would of came down for this, I really wanted to meet steve

To those getting installs you should of told me and we could of bumped up your installs for a week earlier to maybe entice Steve to come to our Northeast meet, lol
Actually, Steve mentioned having been asked to attend by someone, but he couldn't swing it.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
yes it was me who asked, not being ENTIRELY familiar with everything Steve does I wanted to meet him, and I knew a lot of people were excited to hear he almost came to our meet
Old 10-20-2005, 06:57 PM

2005 CLK 320 with euro COMAND
I just stopped by to thank to both Steve M. and Steve K. Thanks for your hospitality and great job. Any more turkish coffee left?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
I was aiming to make it to that NY meet...and to the cali meet which was held during the weekend that I was in chicago but as we have to schedule our travelling according the availability of our customers and hosts, this was the only possibility without disappointing too many people (except for myself as I did not get to attend any meeting other then those where I was working)...

David, whenever I come to the states I age a lot...in no time...so I do look older when I come home compared to when I leave...dunno about the coding though - if I remember correctly the 463 modules do not have that express setting (I know for sure that the sunroof switch does not have the second click to express close the roof)...

greetingz,
Old 10-21-2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by x-tian-230k
Steve,
Thanks for hosting at your house. It was really nice meeting you.... BTW, your C55 is SICK!
Hey, it was real nice meeting and talking to you too. ...and I still really like your blue car... (darn wife)

I really wish the car's suspension was in ... then it'll really be what it aughta be ... I'm trying so hard not to get upset with the delay after I was assured it would be going out and I'd have it before the Oct. 8th meet (yes Steve, I'm still confident it will arrive one day ). It's just gotta get here soon. Once the car's lowered and rims redone, it should look sharp (and will handle on par with, ney, well beyond its looks). Looks really ratty now outside ... all go, no show...
Old 10-21-2005, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by jibeeny
I just stopped by to thank to both Steve M. and Steve K. Thanks for your hospitality and great job. Any more turkish coffee left?
hehe ... somehow I doubt the coffee machine manufacturer expected it to be making that kind of coffee. ...silly you can't turn off the grinder; obviously they never thought it would be losing power in the middle of making coffee and have to be restarted . Those fine coffee grounds must have did a good job keeping you awake on the ride tho!
Glad you could make it.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by 55fanatic
yes it was me who asked, not being ENTIRELY familiar with everything Steve does I wanted to meet him, and I knew a lot of people were excited to hear he almost came to our meet
LOL -- is anyone familiar with everything he does? ... as he does so much now'days!

Ya, it would have been kewl to have you down (and if you like BBQ, I think you would have been happy ). But it was a completely sh*t couple of days, in the middle of that storm that wouldn't budge from below Long Island (I know you got hit with it after us). Traffic wasn't too bad tho I understand as the weather scared the discretionary travelers away.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by MBenzNL

greetingz,
Steve, you're certainly right about that!! Used one in Miami recently. Small screen with garish colors that makes your route very hard to pick out. Very bad algorithms for verbal instructions - turn warnings given 2 miles ahead, with hit-or-miss updates; a "bell" sound that tells you exactly at your turn point to turn (or, more often than not, that you just missed your turn); seriously out-of-date road data; commands that say "slight right turn" when they should say "take the freeway exit' (and it was a sharp turn, too). While the system kept me out of trouble sometimes, it caused nearly as much. Repeated bad turn info cost me over an hour in rain and rush hour traffic one afternoon. It made me really appreciate the Mercedes systems, both my old CD and my new DVD based Navs. Hertz needs to look at something better.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:34 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Steve, you're certainly right about that!!
At first I thought I had the tourist edition...it kept guiding me off the highway in every bigger city I passed through....just to show me around some blocks and then back onto the highway again...the worst "nav" system I have ever been guided by.

greetingz,
Old 10-23-2005, 07:15 AM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Steve, you're certainly right about that!! Used one in Miami recently. Small screen with garish colors that makes your route very hard to pick out. Very bad algorithms for verbal instructions - turn warnings given 2 miles ahead, with hit-or-miss updates; a "bell" sound that tells you exactly at your turn point to turn (or, more often than not, that you just missed your turn); seriously out-of-date road data; commands that say "slight right turn" when they should say "take the freeway exit' (and it was a sharp turn, too). While the system kept me out of trouble sometimes, it caused nearly as much. Repeated bad turn info cost me over an hour in rain and rush hour traffic one afternoon. It made me really appreciate the Mercedes systems, both my old CD and my new DVD based Navs. Hertz needs to look at something better.

I rent those damn prestige collections so much since I'm in Florida for a decent portion of the year. Even with the XJ8/XK8/Escalades they all use that neverlost since there so damn cheap to just get the factory navigation. However, Hertz has stepped it up since they got in there Audi line. The past 2 times I grabbed an A8L which does come with the factory DVD nav and works 10x better than our mb dvd one. So if your at hertz, and need dvd nav grab an a8l.

fazooley
Old 11-12-2005, 11:42 PM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
When is the next US Tour? I've looked at all of the after markets and just can't bring myself to install one of them on top of my dash with all that wiring hanging out. Even with the (from what I have heard) reduced functionality of the command I would prefer to have the clean install look.

I have a '98 E430, stock electronics (excepting my bumper mounted radar detectors and laser defuser). I'd like to flip the climate control under the command in order to get the nav screen higher, make sure that it works with my disk changer (dealer installed when I bought it in '98) and to have a plug in the arm rest for a Sirius S50 portable player. I am hoping that I will be able to plug it in and be able to control it through the command. I don't much care about a phone plug in as I am constantly in an out of my car while talking on it and it spends most of its time in my ash/penny tray where it is easily at hand. TV and DVD plug ins are unnecessary.

What would the estimate be for this type of setup/install?
If there is no US tour planned for a while, can anyone recomend a reputable installer in the NYC/Philly area?

I should have done it last month, but got concerned when some one told me the command was not as good as aftermarket GPS systems.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by mgraeff
When is the next US Tour? I've looked at all of the after markets and just can't bring myself to install one of them on top of my dash with all that wiring hanging out. Even with the (from what I have heard) reduced functionality of the command I would prefer to have the clean install look.

What would the estimate be for this type of setup/install?
If there is no US tour planned for a while, can anyone recomend a reputable installer in the NYC/Philly area?

I should have done it last month, but got concerned when some one told me the command was not as good as aftermarket GPS systems.

Thanks in advance.
Please E mail Wanda @ www.mbenznl.com for the Dates
Old 06-02-2007, 04:17 AM

c230-1998
Hey how did you get this done? How much did it cost? and man that is sick
Old 06-03-2007, 06:38 PM

Did you check out the link I posted immediately above your post for MBenzNL? Give it a look.

Also, you can discuss anything you want to do with BigSis here on this board. As it sounds, she's Steve's siter who does all correspondence and scheduling on Steve's behalf while he travels the world doing customizations and installs on MBs...

Last edited by c55m8o; 06-03-2007 at 06:53 PM.