Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Best speakers for Audio 10 Becker for w203

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E250 Sport
Best speakers for Audio 10 Becker for w203

Hi all,

Now that I had got a good guidance for ordering my audio 10 from this forum, I would like to know if there would be any use changing the front door and rear door speakers (I am aware that they are 6.5"), If changing speakers does help with Audio 10 Becker for my c240 what are the best one to go with, I am just looking for a crispy sound and good bass. I have searched the forum to find few threads on this, however none of them seem to come to an inference (if changing speakers helps or not) confusing newbies like me whether to change the speakers or not. Also will be easy to change the speaker in the rear deck, if yes what size is it... looks like 6X9 for me. I want to look out and buy them while my Audio 10 is on its way (thnx to the forum) so that I can have everything installed in a single shot ! I would appreciate your help buddies.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:46 PM

2011 E250 Sport
Guys! no one who can answer this for me! I thought it was difficult for a newbie like me to tell which ones are better (also none of my friends have this car nor they have any exper. with audio upgrades on high end cars). Thus seeking some help from this forum but seems like no one wants reply!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Pardon the pun, but

speakers are a dime a dozen.

You don't mention a budget. You haven't really searched the W203 forum to find out all the different speaker sizes. You haven't identified the number of speakers in your car. Does your car have the BLOWS, excuse me, BOSE setup? ETC.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:51 PM

2011 E250 Sport
My apologies...i m juss learning to interact here; my car does not have Bose, coming to the number: 2 tweeters, 2 front door, 2 rear door and 1 rear deck (correct me if I'm missing any pls) my budget is around $300(may be very low for some of you out there!) and I am seeking your advice on how many speakers would I need to replace ? from the threads I have searched; looks like replacing the front door and 1 rear deck will do the magic with audio 10 (this is the most confusing part for me), So Im guessing I should be done with somewhere around $300 for front and rear deck ... the reason y I ended up at this price is : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget

MBquarts DSE 612s @ $100 approx shipped , So I hope I can get some decent improvement with $300.00 , Again this is for my Audio 10 Becker on a w203... and please excuse if i missed something again ... Newbie getting used to forum !!! Thnx everyone.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:54 PM

2011 E250 Sport
forgot to mention ... also found some Infinity reference 6012i-coaxial in ebay around $50- $60 shipped ! but am just waiting for your advice on what to buy ...
Old 07-06-2007, 10:30 AM

2002 E320 4MATIC
nostra, this is a great place for "How to" questions, but you won't get much when it comes to what brand of equipment to get (Unless it's between OEM parts)

My advice to you is do what every consumer should do...go to a brick and morter, and listen to different kinds of speaskers. Then take the brands/models names of the ones you like and eBay to your hearts content.

And as always, try to take some pics of work you do along the way so the next person like you gets more info for their projects to work with.

In the mean time, listen to some 10" subs for me, I need to do some research too!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Do them all, not only some of them. I was going to suggest Focal but those are way out of your price range.

Do as suggested and go listen for yourself, we all hear things differently.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:32 PM

2011 E250 Sport
Thnk U guys ...

My question is more into "will it be useful replacing the speakers?" than "what speakers do i need to replace them with?", with Audio 10 will any replacement of the speakers improve my system?

.... and 10" Subs, JL rocks man! my friend has it in his Civic, of course in a Merc it may be a whole diff. story, this guy changed his audio system for about like 4 times in 3 yrs and JL is what he says ... can find out more info for you if you wanna know (amps n enclosures etc)

Last edited by nostra; 07-06-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 PM

2011 E250 Sport
Focal Polyglass 165v2 components with Audio 10

Hey guys,

Just purchased Focal Polyglass 165v2 component speakers; comes with a pair of speakers,pair of tweeters and pair of crossovers. Please let me know if it would be worth installing them with my Audio 10 (expecting next week). I would want to install the speakers only if they are going to give me a significant improvement and hence my installation will depend purely on the advice from this forum !!! Please help the nubee here. I have done some research but could not find any info on these speakers clubbed with Audio 10. Hope am not the first guy with this kinda combo.

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-14-2007, 06:31 PM

1997 E300D
Believe it or not, I always go with Pioneer speakers. I replaced all the speakers in my 1988 e300 and the difference was immediate. A lot of people overlook this old time manufacturer because they produce a LOT of stuff - but if you LISTEN to them I think you'll be pleased as hell because they're usually cheaper than some of the brands suggested here AND usually discounted. I will be switching the speakers in my new (to me) 1997 e300d to Pioneers next week. (If you wanna hear a truly decent setup in a vehicle, try out a 2007 Chevy HHR with the upgraded Pioneer - easily one of the best systems I've heard.) I'm probably gonna take some heat on this one but...they're good.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:36 PM

1997 E300D
FINALLY somebody out there recognizes the fact that BLOSE audio is pretty inferior stuff. I had a Bose factory in my 1999 Audi V8 Quattro and it was the most troublesome p.o.s. I've had in any one of my vehicles. I wouldn't put a Bose system in my cat's bed, let alone an MB.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:40 PM

1997 E300D
You can trust BestBuy and some of the chain stores to do a competent install/replacement on your MB; but I went to a local shop because...they guys in there do some SERIOUS work (that I'll never think of using) and they tend to have roughly the same prices. A lot of the work behind the dash is now done with adaptors and harnesses so the monkeying around with the electronics in our cars is fairly limited - it ain't like the days when I used to spend a day under the dash with crimps, tape and needlenose pliers.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:29 AM

2011 E250 Sport
Pretty good feedback from you OBOPI, Thank you very much. My car is a standard non-BOSE, hence I have more flexibility than others out there to do some mods with my stereo. Also what I am looking here is for some little more clarity with good bass, Can you suggest any which would give me that. I have read in some reviews that POLK DB does a good job but could not find them in a circuit city or best buy to listen,I did listen to Infinity reference and kappa's .. they are good but still lacking some where on the bass.

Also as u mentioned a 1999 Audi V8 Quattro with BOSE, I use to drive a 1999 AUDIO A6 (V6 with BOSE Concert system), I would say this is one of then best factory fitted system I have ever heard (may be in your case you would have had some problems but mine was flawless) and currently I am trying to bring up the system in my car to at least match it with min. mods.

Also I feel the problem is more related to MB than BOSE or HK, I use to love my BOSE in audi A6 and my friend has a 01 BMW 330Ci with HK system and that sounds pretty good too though it never matched my BOSE in A6. May be MB pays them less and so they (BOSE/HK) give them compromised systems !!!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:38 AM

2011 E250 Sport
I would not want any wires or any amps hanging in my trunk ... hence trying to avoid amps as much as possible, but may be i will compromise if i feel my system still needs to do better. As of now I am trying to wind it off with Audio 10 HU and Speakers and opted for Focals as they were one of the best ! I do understand Focals would be power hungry but what other options do I have and I do want to keep my factory look in the dash.

Also can any one advice on Focal polyglass 165 V2, I have read some where that some one had a problem with the depth in their SLK and had to use some other speakers, will the w203 front/rear doors have enough depth to hold them and I have no clue on mounting the crossovers also. May be I will take them to a proff. installer.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:58 AM
Almost a Member!

try jbl
Old 07-15-2007, 02:59 PM

1997 E300D
Polk makes pretty decent stuff, I would consider them too. Bose makes everything proprietary meaning you gotta buy BOSE to repair BOSE - very annoying. Most car speakers are very efficient - 92b at one meter & higher - so I'd pay attention to the efficiency as well. (I have a vintage pair of Klipsch C-3 in my home driven by a 35 watt per channel tube amplifier and the sound is every bit as good as solid state stuff I've with ten times the power. The Klipsch produce 103db @ 1 meter - very efficient.) From what I've seen, my 1997 e300d has very small speakers on the front deck with tweeters on the window posts, 6.5" front doors and back deck and maybe 4" in the back doors - and I'm assuming these are paper coned. I'm not inclined to go with power before efficiency in speakers - decide between Pioneer and Polk and you'll find a solution.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:03 PM

1997 E300D
I suggest finding a local shop to check the prices - one of the shops where all the kids are stuffing thousands of watts and subwoofers into their cars. Those guys do good work even when just replacing a head unit like I did. The problem I have with almost every auto audio system is that the sound is forced, fake, manufactured - especially the bass. The Chevy HHR I just sold was a very musical system - sounded great. I'm going to audition a lot of speakers when I start on my e300d.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 AM

2011 E250 Sport
Audio 10+Focal 165Vw-front+Polk db 650 rear

After more than a week of STTF, I am closing in on the following for my car, Install Audio 10 with Focal components 165 V2 in the front doors and if possible replace the rear door speakers with Polk DB 650. Hope this should give me a pretty decent setup with good bass and crisp quality. Thanks to all and spl thanks to JohnCL. Let me know ur thoughts if any !!!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 PM

2011 E250 Sport
Audio 10 rocks !!!

Hi all,

Successfully installed an Audio 10 Becker Radio CD for my w203 C240. The HU rocks and has excellent bass. Yet to install my Focals ... still thinking on this, I have significant improvement with Audio 10 and since I am not planning to install any Amp I'm thinking to drop the Idea of installing focals in the front door. I really have no clue how efficient would they be with just the Audio 10 pumping them.

Any ways for all those out there still thinking about Audio 10 .. dont think just go for it n u will like it.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:00 AM

1997 E300D
Sounds pretty cool. I'm more inclined to search for a system that has more pronounced mids and highs and, since most of them seem to over emphasize the bass to an assinine degree, my work is pretty easy. I just had the people at SoundTrax in Centereach NY replace the stock MB Becker with a JVC unit delivering 50 watts per channel and without placing the speakers it sounds pretty decent. They did a remarkably quick, clean, professional install. As an earlier post of mine related, I have a tube amp setup in my home, Cayin integrated tube delivering 35 watts per channel - which is more than enough to fill my HOUSE with sound. People cannot believe this amp is "only" 35 watts - and I haven't had it past the nine o'clock position yet. I drive a LOT, and I listen to the traffic channels and my ipod, but I just don't get all this power madness and subwoofer modding. The only thing I haven't kept stock in any of my MB's has been the stereo - my 88 300e, my 87 420sel, my 85 euro-spec 560sec, and now my 87 e300d.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:40 PM

2002 E320 4MATIC
Originally Posted by nostra
Hi all,

Successfully installed an Audio 10 Becker Radio CD for my w203 C240. The HU rocks and has excellent bass. Yet to install my Focals ... still thinking on this, I have significant improvement with Audio 10 and since I am not planning to install any Amp I'm thinking to drop the Idea of installing focals in the front door. I really have no clue how efficient would they be with just the Audio 10 pumping them.

Any ways for all those out there still thinking about Audio 10 .. dont think just go for it n u will like it.
pics or it didn't happen!!

Old 07-21-2007, 10:52 PM

2011 E250 Sport
No Pics , but it did hapn and lot happy now ! I have no pics during the install but will sure post when I get a chance to take a pic of my already installed Audio 10. Infact I would want to call it "Audio 10 the Great"
Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 PM

1997 E300D
1997 e300d here. The speakers in your front door are 6.5" mid bass with another midrange in the dash, tweeters by the sideview mirrors. From the looks of MB speaker replacement the factory ones I've seen look fairly decent although I am sure an aftermarket substitute might improve things. Look for a speaker with better than 90db efficiency 1 watt @ 1 meter - you'll gain a little in the overall sound.