Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W124 issues after new HU installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300e
W124 issues after new HU installation

Help required!

Last night I completed the installation (or so I thought) of the HU in my 1990 W124, and followed many of the directions from internet. Rewired all speakers, prewired for amp and sub, but when I reconnected the battery, saw small spark, didn't think much of it, but now power windows, sunroof and rear defrost no longer work. All other electrically things are working, checked fuses and they seem all okay. Any suggestions on where to look?
I used the crutchfield wiring harness, so felt that connection went smoothly. But the radio isn't working either, although it has power(enough to eject shipping material in disk area).

Any thoughts or words of wisedom would be appreciated, thank goodness for the ability to close the sunroof manually, as it rained overnight.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
seems like ignition power is not working in the car. Check the convenience module in the front fuse box. THe small spark you saw at the battery terminal is normal. Check wipers also. If the first intermittent setting is not working, then it's the convenience module.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Almost a Member!

1990 300e
Not sure what you mean by ignition power, as the car started normally, and the intermittent wipers are working okay. I went through all the electrial accessories as I drove in to work, and only the rear defrost, sunroof and windows are dead, and the radio.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Almost a Member!

1990 300e
Okay after much reading, I'm hoping it's the convinence module under the rear seat that may just have a loose connection. As it may have been knocked after taking the rear seats out twice in the last two days for rewiring all the speakers. Fingers crossed.

This seems to make the most sense since they stopped working at the same time. If it's more than just a loose connection, any idea what a replacement would cost?