Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

ML 55 sound system problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 55 AMG
ML 55 sound system problem

I have a problem with the sound system in my ML55. I thought it was the command centre in the beginning, but now I am leading to the amplifier. I located it under the bonnet next to the bosch computer for the car. Does anyone now the part number for it? And, how difficult is it to replace?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2007, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
What model year is the car ?

I ask, because if its a post 2002 (i.e facelift with indicator repeaters in the door mirros) then the amplifier is actually up behind the steering column inside the car (on RHD cars at least).

I find it odd that the amp would be under the bonnet - its a harsh environment there .. but I dont know about pre 02 cars.

And what exactly is happening ? If its post 2002 , then there is a fibre optic loom that deals with comand, phone, digital bose amp, teleaid, voice recognition, cd player - if any units on there go dodgy, you will lose sound (since sound goes round that ring)
If you look at www.mercupgrades.com theres a document on COMAND diagnostic mode, its worth clearing the fault codes and seeing what appears after a couple of days

Cheers

Richard
Old 09-04-2007, 08:52 PM

ML 55 AMG
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

The car is a 2001 model pre update. I have a friend who has access to a mb parts program. It says that the amp is next to the computer under the bonnet. That is all I have to go on. I looked there on the week end and found a component with the following part numbers

163 545 58 32 K01
10.0946-1543.4 346271
PXROLO7A56 DI 45
HW 9936
SW 9935
BAS 9905

The problem started as in intermitent crackle in the speaker in the left front door. Then progressed to very loud crackle when the car was in motion, again only from the left front door speaker. It was fine while the car was stationary. Finally failed after going over a speed hump, gave the usual crackel then nothing. Got home and tried a few things. Got the radio to work but the volume was so low that you could barely hear it. Not able to get stacker to work, no sat nav etc.

Benz in Melbourne looked at it and said it was the command centre.$A15,000 to fix! I have tried to locate a second hand unit, without much success. Got one from a CLK but the software is different. Same problem in that the volume was non existent, and it would not turn off. the auto electrician who is looking at it suggested the amp, which is more in line with my thinking. We are currently looking for a second hand amp.

I am aware that there is fibre optics connected to the command centre, but don't know where they originate from.

Any help gratefully accepted.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Hi
163 545 58 32 is the ESP control unit, not the amp ..

I'm still very sure that the amp will be in the passenger compartment - the amp electronics will not survive in a harsh environment. I've looked at EPCnet and my reading is that it is up behind the steering wheel (or thereabouts)

If the CD changer etc does not work, then the optic ring is broken or Comand itself. I didnt think the pre 02 cars had fibre optic amp, so that is a bit strange - and the fact that you have any volume sort of suggests that is true (ie amp is not on digital)
Popping out comand will confirm this, if there are speaker wires on the B plug you have analogue amp (not on the fibre optic), if no speaker wires, then digital

Please do the fault code diagnostic I suggested and check the fault codes - it may tell something useful

If you go to www.mercupgrades.com/ebay_search.html - select australia and then search, you will find european guys willing to ship you a new comand if you need one (you must get part number starting with A163 for that car, nothing else will do)

The no sat nav

R
Old 09-06-2007, 05:34 AM

ML 55 AMG
Hi Richard,

Thanks again for your help.

I have just taken the cover off from under tha steering column, and there is nothing there. I can understand why they put it there on later models, lots of room. I also removed the kick panel in the drivers foot well, which revealed fuses and relays for seats, rear window heater etc.

I removed the cover under which the esp is housed to get at the component next to it. It is a Bosch, which to me says it is the main computer for the car, not a bose amp.
Part numbers are
A 206 545 08 32

O 261 206 583

Nothing under the drivers seat. Sub woofer under front passenger seat, passenger side footwell panel not removeable due to bonnet release. Nothing under back seats as they fold forward. Nothing next to stacker which is in the rear R/H compartment. I haven't had the spare out for a while, but I cant remember anything in the compartment behind it.

Starting to run out of places to look. I would have thought that it would be easy to locate, but the Germans are good at hiding things.

I can't try your fault code method yet as the command centre is out of the car at present, still at the auto elec's.

I will take the spare out and have a look in the panel behind it. Let you know the results.

Thanks again

Regards

John
Old 09-06-2007, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
EPC claims the setup changed from 09/2000.
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp...SGR=315&SGN=10

The different amplifier part numbers should be:
A1638201889
A1638202789 or
A1638204089 (Japan)

The 206' and 261' part numbers don't bring anything to me.

Does the car have sound system? I understood it has Comand, I guess it would have a separate amplifier anyway. With your car VIN you could see it more accurately.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:01 PM

ML 55 AMG
The vehicle has the Bose sound system. I have looked where this diagram suggests. That is, I assume the leader is pointing to under the bonnet.

Last resort, I will remove the glove box and see if it is behind there.

the vin # is WDC 1631742A265262 build date March 2001

Regards

John
Old 09-09-2007, 02:03 AM

ML 55 AMG
A big thanks to Richard and Diesel Benz.

After many hours I finally found the amplifier, just where you said it was Richard, buried very high up under the drivers side dash. Neatly concealed behind some insulation.

Part number is A1638201889 as Diesel suggested.

Now we can begin the process of elimination of faulty components.

Once again thanks for your help.

Regards

John