Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Need to add Ipod, Nav, and Sirius in 04 E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Need to add Ipod, Nav, and Sirius in 04 E500

I am new to the whole Mercedes-Benz products, but it is looking like my only solution to keep the command center and add IPod, navigation, and Sirius is to go with the kits from the MB parts dept at the local dealership. They want $2000 for Nav installed, $375 for the IPod part and $900 for the Sirius Kit. I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket solution, or should I just get my head knocked-off and go the the MB dealership? Also wanting to add a sub, but am not familiar with a fiber optic system. Any help, guidence or advice would be great.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Go the aftermarket route if you want expandability, or go with the factory... maybe look around online at some junked vehicles that might have it...
Old 09-03-2007, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Go aftermarket...

I went that route with the 55, because:

1. I didn't want to pay MB for their crappy navigation system...

2. I wanted portability in my navigation, ipod, and sirius modules.

I went with:

a. Navigation - Garmin Nuvi 370 (off ebay for $525)
b. Ipod - 80gb version w/ docking port (from Ipod/Apple store for $470)
c. Sirius - Sirius S50 w/ car kit (of ebay for $156)

My audio/video install guy will be installing them in my car next week and I'll post pics off the install...
Old 09-03-2007, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
No offense. I went meant after-market, I meant integrated after-market, not adding 3 separate modules... that are just band aids... crap will be everywhere

just my opinion, I would expect it with a Buick owner not a Benz
Old 09-03-2007, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
No offense taken...the Ipod has an integration kit so it will be in glove compartment and controlled via steering wheel buttons. The Sirius unit is in the center armrest and the Garmin Nuvi is mounted via a Kuda mounting base. My interior is black so the Kuda mounting base is less visible than the picture.

I didn't want everything visible, so I will just remove the Nuvi from it's docking station and store it in the glove compartment. Per the installer, all wires are going to hidden and all components (nuvi and sirius docking stations) will be hardwired.
Attached Thumbnails Need to add Ipod, Nav, and Sirius in 04 E500-285.jpg  
Old 09-04-2007, 12:52 AM

2004 E500
I Really Don't Want All Different Types Of Things Everywhere. I Have A Radar Detector And The Cord Is Driving Me Crazy, I'm About To Hard Wire It. The Sound System Has Me Worried Cause I Have No Experience With Fiberoptics Systems. I Know I Can Get Mb Ipod Interface For About $200 And That's Cool, But The Sirius And Nav I Want To Control Through The Command Center, So I Think I Might Have To Go Mb Parts All The Way. By The Way, Any Advice On A Sub???
Old 09-04-2007, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by paullyE500
I Really Don't Want All Different Types Of Things Everywhere. I Have A Radar Detector And The Cord Is Driving Me Crazy, I'm About To Hard Wire It. The Sound System Has Me Worried Cause I Have No Experience With Fiberoptics Systems. I Know I Can Get Mb Ipod Interface For About $200 And That's Cool, But The Sirius And Nav I Want To Control Through The Command Center, So I Think I Might Have To Go Mb Parts All The Way. By The Way, Any Advice On A Sub???
Paully,

I added all of that stuff to my 04, and it didn't cost that much. it's a good DIY because everything is basically 0prewired on your car.

I paid 1650 for the NAV KIT, 425 for the Sirius, and 200 for the Ipod Kit.
04 uses DVD and is a lot nicer than the older versions.

If you quotes included labor, that's not too bad except 900 for the sirius is a bit much. You can find those kits sitting around on dealers shelves collecting dust and get a good deal. CHeck MB georgetown, or MB of Austin for different pricing.

There is nothing like having all of the factory pieces integrated and working together on a Benz.You'll be glad you did.

BTW. Do you already have comand? if so, you might be able to find a drive from elsewhere. because all you need is the mounting bracket, and trunk liner after that. The plugs are already in your car.That would save you lots of $$$
Old 09-04-2007, 04:09 PM

2004 E500
I do have the command, I just moved away from Round Rock, so I'll check on MB of Austin and Georgetown. Thank you,
Old 09-17-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to do it right and make the investment, you want the Alpine VehicleHub. You can add a video input to your COMAND head unit and basically use the Alpine and it's accessories. Bonus: you get to replace the Mercedes HK system with something MUCH higher quality and lose zero functionality as the Merc factory equipment works through the Alpine.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
^^^no way, no need for it...