Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

$1,400 for Dealer Satellite Radio Upgrade?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2007 | 07:31 AM

While the "merger" between Sirius and XM seems to

be a thing of the past.

My opinion is that XM is significantly better than Sirius, both in programming and in reception.

My reference to an XM unit that replaces the Audi Sirius unit is an OEM part that is carried by aftermarket suppliers and the dealer and carries an OEM part number.

Th units carried by Best Buy and others are a total waste of time.
Old 12-03-2007 | 11:00 AM

2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
Originally Posted by husk323
THANKS!!! I was looking for an answer to get Sat Radio in my 2004 GX470 w/nav, do you know of any bluetooth solutions... so I can connect my phone as well?
Not sure, but check that Vaistech.com site. They already have IPod solutions as well and are clearly trying to target the Lexus after-market crowd. We have an 04 GX with Nav as well, so we'll get their XM solution if I can find an installer nearby.

Last edited by topspin4hand; 12-03-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2007 | 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by chairman
While the "merger" between Sirius and XM seems to be a thing of the past.
Not so. On November 13, 2007, shareholders of both Sirius and XM overwhelmingly approved the merger.

It now awaits FCC approval, which also involves coordination with the Department of Justice. Of course, Congressional committees will look at it as well.

See http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/biztech...lite.radio.ap/ for some fairly recent discussion.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-04-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2007 | 06:34 PM

1 V10, 2 V8
IMO, I dont care if the XM radio from the dealer has the ability to give you head. $150 vs $1500... It's not that fact of $1500. It's the fact that it's not worth it. But that's just me. I dont listen to the radio anyway. They do not have anything I like. Not one channel
Old 12-22-2007 | 05:38 PM

The install cost for 3rd party integrated solutions are much much more reasonable. The Vaistech solution for the Lexus models is in the $100 range and it's as you'd imagine if the vehicle came from the factory with XM installed.

Unfortunately, Vaistech has no such solution for Benz/s, but they're working on it (they know their's $$$ in it). But the cost of installs is clearly only a factor if you to the dealer.
Old 12-26-2007 | 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
oh come on... Vaistech wouldn't know where to begin with MB... I dealt with them <2 years ago on a lexus for an ipod and it failed to work 3 times in a row before they updated the software and sent it back a week later. MB is fiber optic, sure you can have the bandaid aux in ipod by MB that uses the canbus wires for control and display on the aux input... if it was so simple I am sure MB would of had a Fiber optic upgrade for it already... which they don't

and brabusw209, seriously are you giving advice on what is worth it and what is not? between your sig and Brabus... seems pretty pricey to me... which i might see as a waste of money,,, people pay for integration, some are cheap and don't care, some will pay for it, and some just don't care. I think the biggest thing I seen with MB owners is that they can afford the vehicle but not the gas... know what i mean?
Old 12-27-2007 | 07:41 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by jbondox
...and brabusw209, seriously are you giving advice on what is worth it and what is not? between your sig and Brabus... seems pretty pricey to me... which i might see as a waste of money,,, people pay for integration, some are cheap and don't care, some will pay for it, and some just don't care. I think the biggest thing I seen with MB owners is that they can afford the vehicle but not the gas... know what i mean?
That was awesome!... couldnt have said it better myself!

It seems that there is a disparity between Benz owners and the dividing line is right at the E-Class: We see S and CL and E class and even GL owners come in and ask for things like the ipod or sirius upgrade and and are happy to pay and price is not an issue. At the other end are the C/ML and especially the SLK owners where any factory upgrade is like pulling teeth and they ***** their car up with the cheapest FM modulated crap you can find. (Ive lost count of all the SLK's with the audio 50 radio and that POS iTrip jammed in the cigarette lighter)

Now keep in mind that I am not trying to generalize all owners of lower models as cheapskates: I have seen some very nice loaded ML's with beautiful headrest systems and my C has a few nice upgrades with more on the way... It just seems to me that for all the complaining some of the owners do about feature pricing they might have been better off getting a fully loaded ford focus or something. Its not like you go into a mercedes purchase not knowing that things are going to cost more...
Old 12-28-2007 | 07:00 PM

Hey I can only go by the info I got from them when I inquired ... they said they have a goal of coming up with a solution for Benzs. I hope they or someone else does.

XJ9, My issue isn't price, it's quality. There's no stock-looking alternative if you want XM radio ... even if price was the issue, that's whomever's perogative to harp on that or not.

Originally Posted by jbondox
oh come on... Vaistech wouldn't know where to begin with MB... I dealt with them <2 years ago on a lexus for an ipod and it failed to work 3 times in a row before they updated the software and sent it back a week later. MB is fiber optic, sure you can have the bandaid aux in ipod by MB that uses the canbus wires for control and display on the aux input... if it was so simple I am sure MB would of had a Fiber optic upgrade for it already... which they don't

and brabusw209, seriously are you giving advice on what is worth it and what is not? between your sig and Brabus... seems pretty pricey to me... which i might see as a waste of money,,, people pay for integration, some are cheap and don't care, some will pay for it, and some just don't care. I think the biggest thing I seen with MB owners is that they can afford the vehicle but not the gas... know what i mean?
Old 12-29-2007 | 10:49 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by topspin4hand
Hey I can only go by the info I got from them when I inquired ... they said they have a goal of coming up with a solution for Benzs. I hope they or someone else does.

XJ9, My issue isn't price, it's quality. There's no stock-looking alternative if you want XM radio ... even if price was the issue, that's whomever's perogative to harp on that or not.
I wasnt trying to imply that. sorry if it came off that way. I was referring to issue where the perfectly integrated factory sirius option is available but the guy complains about the price. The point was that if you buy a benz you kind of know what you're getting into as far as pricing...

I agree with you on the XM issue. It would be nice to have a factory integrated option though I agree with jbondox that vaistech doesnt have a great track record as far as a developer. Mercedes optical system is notoriously difficult to develop aftermarket products for and so far only two companies have developed products (ipod adapters): navtv and dension and both are compromises as far as the way they actually function (e.g. kludgy user interface).

These forums are filled with the never ending stories of vaporware mercedes add-on products that never come to fruition (Argos most kit expected release date: spring 2006 )