Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

2003/04/05 E Class Audio Systems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a 2005 MB C320 or 2003 MB E320
2003/04/05 E Class Audio Systems

I am new to this forum and am looking for some help. I do not currently own a MB, but am considering a 2003 or 2004 or 2005 E320, but have questions on the audio/entertainment system. Can someone tell me what audio systems were available in these models and what is needed to install a navigation system, with satellite radio, iPod input and either phone or Bluetooth. I have heard of others installing the Pioneer AVIC systems and others, but saw somewhere that those type systems may be too deep for the E Class car. Is this really the case? Thanks for any input/feedback.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing ANY aftermarket audio system in the dash of an E class that's an '03 or newer would be a crime. The dash is beautiful and no aftermarket head unit would look right. In '03 no NAV was possible from the factory. Steve/MbenzNL can install one (in fact I had him do one for me) but it's quite expensive. But all '03s came with the Audio 50 which ironically enough IS navigation capable, but only works that way in Europe.

In '04 I believe MB started shipping COMAND headunits as standard so all that's required is the addition of the DVD/navi unit in the back. As for sat radio and iPod, not sure when they were able to be integrated but sat radio is easy even with an external unit like the XM Commander. FM modulation works very well when permanently installed.

The iPod interface came out in '05. Supposedly, any of the COMAND head units can use the iPod interface but the Audio 50 cannot.