Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Navigation Routing is Not Direct

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury fully loaded
Navigation Routing is Not Direct

My dealer has installed the latest (this week) Head Unit Comand update software & audio Gateway software. I have the 2007.1 DVD disc Yet, when I enter a destination the Nav system selects a route that is not direct. Case in point. I live 70 miles north of San Francisco near the 101 freeway. When I select a destination like Fisherman's Wharf, the Nav system plots a route that takes me out to the Pacific Ocean, down route 1 then back just in time to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. I've checked the "Mode" function and none of the "avoid" options is selected. The Nav system knows at all times exactly where it is located (I've confirmed that) and the destination is always accurate (it takes me right to the door) so that rules out a bad GPS antenna (one item the dealer thought of replacing but hasn't). That leaves only the DVD, the DVD player or the Head Unit as being defective. BTW this problem started last month when the original 2004.1 DVD disc was still installed. Prior to that there was never an issue with the Nav system. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
BTW with the new 2007.1 DVD Disc the Nav announces "Caution Time restricted traffic" as I enter the freeway and I know I don't have "real time" traffic alerts capability. What's this mean?
James
Old 09-29-2007, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Dude nothing is defective... You answered your own question. When you updated the DVD you had this issue right?

This means that your last software was smarter than the current program you are running thats all.

People assume that just because you put in a disk that says 2007 it is going to me point for point better than the last and that's just not the case for every scenario.

You know how to get where you're going just go the route you want to go and see if you system will store that reroute. Mine does and I am using th 2007 software on my 2004.

otherwise if its such a problem, load the 2004 dvd back in.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Are you sure that you don't have real traffic warnings? Maybe that's the cause for the re-routing... it's correctly or incorrectly sending you a on a route based on traffic reports.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:40 PM

Doesn't real time traffic alerts require a paid subscription? I've allowed my Tele-Aid subscription to expire because Tele-Aid has switched from analog to digital & my 04 E320's analog system is no longer supported.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
At present MB does not support that feature. There are always some that have wishfull thinking it will happen soon or expect it to be available now and/or in the past without considering the markets other than their own, etc.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
At present MB does not support that feature. There are always some that have wishfull thinking it will happen soon or expect it to be available now and/or in the past without considering the markets other than their own, etc.
Real time traffic is available in the '08's S and I think C class - I've got it. Dynamic re-routing does not seem to occur
Old 09-30-2007, 12:56 PM

Solved: "Caution Time restricted traffic"

I've discovered what "Caution Time restricted traffic" means. It means Car Pool Lane. I was driving North on Hyw 101 in Marin County north of San Francisco & as I approached the section of the freeway where it widens and a car pool lane is added Navigation announce "Caution Time restricted traffic in 1/4 mile"
I verified this several times where the freeway transitioned to the addition of a car pool lane.
This is not real time traffic alert. It seems to have been coded into the 2007.1 versions of the North American Navigation DVD just like POI.