Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

TV Tuner for Rear Seat Entertainment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
TV Tuner for Rear Seat Entertainment?

Hi, just bought my 2nd Mercedes - a GL450, which I'm starting to think I love almost as much as my wife.

This is a US vehicle and has the rear seat entertainment system (RSE). The DVD player has 2 AUX inputs for external video/audio. One of the things I'd like to do is input television from over the air broadcasts (HD preferred, but might settle for NTSC) Does anyone know of a system that would have an antenna and a small tuner that I could attach to the AUX input of the DVD player in the RSE?

Last edited by JimBarnhart; 11-24-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:09 AM
XJ9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Hi, just bought my 2nd Mercedes - a GL450, which I'm starting to think I love almost as much as my wife.

This is a US vehicle and has the rear seat entertainment system (RSE). The DVD player has 2 AUX inputs for external video/audio. One of the things I'd like to do is input television from over the air broadcasts (HD preferred, but might settle for NTSC) Does anyone know of a system that would have an antenna and a small tuner that I could attach to the AUX input of the DVD player in the RSE?

rosen makes one: the cv4000... the antenna is seperate and must be mounted on the rear window for best reception.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Thanks for the info, looks like a decent option. Anyone seen an HD version since NTSC over the air will cease operation in a little over 1 year?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:06 AM
XJ9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Thanks for the info, looks like a decent option. Anyone seen an HD version since NTSC over the air will cease operation in a little over 1 year?
So far i have not heard of any mobile HD tuners being offered...yet... Some aftermarket places are doing complicated home HDTV tuner intallations but thats it. I have heard through the grapevine that there are going to be some very nice integrated HD tuners for mercedes in a few months time.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
The current DVD Rear Seat enterntainment system can integrated with the Mercedes TV tuner such that the rear seat passengers can then watch TV - one can watch TV, other can watch DVD (etc).

The RSE actually has 4 video inputs, 2 on front, and 2 on rear (which are used to connect to the TV tuner, different cars have different connections, if you look at your RSE if there is an empty blue socket thats the S-Video TV tuner input, the other input is on the bottom half of the bigger cable connector, along with the audio inputs, and I dont know if its s-video or not. Those inputs only get enabled when the RSE sees the TV tuner on the CANbus network (which you can see lots of black/black-white wires plugged into a block next to the RSE controller) - Easy to see on a ML (lift the carpet), GL and R class bit more difficult

The TV tuner has 2 Aux inputs, one gets used for reversing camera if you have that. The other (on mine) is just about to be used for a PS-2.

Euro Comand can then watch TV on the fron screen also - Don't know about US MCSII system

Antenna amps go in tailgate and rear side windows - if you have the antenna in your rear side windows you can see it there in the middlle of each glass.

The TV tuner we have in Europe supports PAL/NTSC/SECAM analogue and DVB-T digital - I dont know what standard US uses for digital terestrial broadcasts.

Cheers
Richard