Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

iPod Low Volume

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinebaron
I think because it is a common device; phone + Ipod and the new amp connector voltage is dropping when using the phone (phone, when in use, pulls more current than just the Ipod), resulting in intereference. All this is hypothetical ofcourse; being an electronic and communication engineer permits me to make this hypothesis.

I spoke to my son who has the iPhone and he frequently sticks it into the plug (instead of my Ipod) when he rides with me; he says use the Iphone in 'Airplane' mode to reduce the intereference. He also admits the Iphone suffers from interference though I don't have many details yet. I will experiment with his Iphone in my car to replicate your issue and report my findings.
Thanks. I appreciate it. I'll look forward to hearing your findings. Oddly, even if I disconnect the iPod The bluetooth reception is awful. Before the amp install, the bluetooth was crystal clear.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by NewMoses
Yes. I used the hidden menu to set the Comand amp to (---). That make the iPod sound better, but no change to the garbled, static sounding Bluetooth. Is there something else I missed? (Thanks for the quick reply)
was the iPod kit without the amp set at the highest volume level still too low for you?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by e1000
was the iPod kit without the amp set at the highest volume level still too low for you?
It was OK, but not great. Much better with the amp. But if I have to choose between the iPod amp and clear Bluetooth, I'll take the Bluetooth.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
there is an update for the iPod control unit, one of the reasons includes volume range... Happened to a customer of mine when i worked at the dealership, in a new SLK with the factory iPod adaptor...... (not the aux jack in the glovebox)

I think there was a DTB on it....
Old 02-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by NewMoses
It was OK, but not great. Much better with the amp. But if I have to choose between the iPod amp and clear Bluetooth, I'll take the Bluetooth.
Yeah I'd take the amp out. I've had 2 iPod kits at the same time. An old kit and a newer kit. The old kit was quieter than the newer revision kit and didn't even have the volume control in the hidden menu. The old kit worked well with the amp and sounds great. The newer kit however, was terrible with the amp and had good volume out of the box.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
On my 07 GL, i had the newest iPod kit #, with volume set on highest setting in MF steering, and still had issues. I complained to the dealer today, had them try installing the new 204 inline amp, set the ipod to low volume, and voila, PERFECT...plus they didn't charge me-they said they will fight with MB over how to code it as warranty work.

Thanks for the help from this forum...as usual, i was able to educate the dealer
Old 02-19-2008, 10:55 AM

C230
Picked up the adapter last night from my local Smythe MB dealer. No Charge. I will be installing it this weekend to see the effects.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:30 AM

'08 GL 320CDI
Originally Posted by pinebaron
I think because it is a common device; phone + Ipod and the new amp connector voltage is dropping when using the phone (phone, when in use, pulls more current than just the Ipod), resulting in intereference. All this is hypothetical ofcourse; being an electronic and communication engineer permits me to make this hypothesis.

I spoke to my son who has the iPhone and he frequently sticks it into the plug (instead of my Ipod) when he rides with me; he says use the Iphone in 'Airplane' mode to reduce the intereference. He also admits the Iphone suffers from interference though I don't have many details yet. I will experiment with his Iphone in my car to replicate your issue and report my findings.
Pinebaron: just curious to hear if you ever did your experiment with the Iphone, and if so, what were your findings? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:33 PM

C230
Ipod inline adapter

Hey, I have a 2005 C230 and tried the above steps to "quickly" find the location of my adapter. No Luck!! I tried to follow the cables from my glove box but they go back up to the top of the dash and around. This looks like it might have been a factory install. Any ideas on how to find the interface?

I think I will probably have to take it to MB and pay the charge to have them install it for me. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:58 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
Yesterday, I had the 204 inline amp installed in my GL, and WOW, what a difference in the sound from both, my son's IPOD and my IPHONE. As has been mentioned before, the dealer couldn't believe the $0.10 cost for this part, but did honor the price, and also installed it at no charge. Not only did I get excellent sound from both of these items (including great bass), there were no issues with the quality of sound or connection concerning my bluetooth capabilities. This part is a must buy for all IPOD enthusiasts, and you can't beat the price .
Old 10-24-2019, 11:13 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
S350 2008
My S350 2008 seem impact by this problem, I tried to enter DIAG mode of the ipod but only HW and SW version are displayed, perhap ipod inline amplifier A2048703994 is the only solution for this problem.

I known that we need to use buttons on the wheel for control ipod and the album and song play by ipod only be displayed on the ODO metter therefore select the song or album is very slow and not convinience but I expect ipod will provide better audio quality therefore ipod amplifier my interested for me.

The issue is ipod amplifier is not available here, it take a month for order and it cost 70$. Do you think it worth to try?
Old 10-27-2019, 10:01 PM

E55
Is the headunit software up to date? Pm me if anything
Old 10-28-2019, 01:55 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
S350 2008
Originally Posted by TheAlphaDirtbag
Is the headunit software up to date? Pm me if anything
Yes the command unit SW at latest version, should I order inline ipod amplifier for correction?