Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

upgrading the HK logic 7 with aftermarket processor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
upgrading the HK logic 7 with aftermarket processor

Hello to everyone i'm new here and i got some question regarding the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 audio system in the S550.

i"m planning to upgrade the whole system but i'm leaving the stock unit. So now i'm looking for an aftermarket processor unit like the alpine pxe-H650, jlaudio cleansweep or the RF 3sixty. I am leaning toward the alpine unit because it looks easier to use comapred to the others.

Now if i get the alpine H650, do i connect that to the stock HU directly or to the HK logic amp? I emailed jl audio regarding their product and the tech guy says if i use the cleansweep i should connect it to the HK amp. I am planning to replace all the speakers and adding new amps for them. Has anybody here already did this kind of upgrade? I'm kinda confused on how
will i integrate the processor to the HK logic 7 and still having surround sound.
I know how to install a system from scratch with new HU and everything but this one i'm not too sure how it works. Can anybody pls. help?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-15-2007, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The Logic 7 system used by HK is a DSP. This Alpine box is also a DSP. The Alpine has a lot of controls and hardware for tuning the DSP to your car. HK has already done that. The Alpine also has a lot of user preference controls, but they are more in number than more in substance than those on the HK amp. The additional contols in the hands of typical users results in a less satisfying sound field.

The HK system sends the audio signals from the head unit to the amp on a fiber optic cable as a digital signal. This is far more advanced than the conventional analog I/O of the Alpine DSP. I have not seen any aftermarket doodads that can run on the MOST fiber optic bus used in fine German cars.

Is there something lacking in the stock system? It will cost thousands to buy all components to replace the factory system. It will require hacking and cutting of your car, and at the end of the day, it won't sound very different.

Take the money and enjoy a vacation in Thailand.