Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Best Becker Radio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W123 200T -86
Best Becker Radio?

I've read that the old Beckers are the shiz when it comes to receiving a good radio signal, so I'm thinking of searching the scrap yards for one to use in my -86 200T.

I mean to use it with a mp3 player via a radio transmitter adapter connected to the cigarette lighter. Can anyone tell me if the sound is any good when doing so, or if it's prefered to have a modern radio with an AUX-in? Can an alternative made AUX-in be fitted to an old radio as the Becker? (forgive the untechnical stupid questions )

There are probably several different models and I would be nice to know wich and how good they are, differances etc, any info you have is apreciated. If this has been discussed in another forum, please post a link.

While I'm at it, up-grade speakers for the W123 to be fitted inplace of the original ones. What sizes are they, what recomendations/experiances do you have, any links?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Well, the problem with buying an old radio is that you end up with an old radio. Who knows where it's been or the abuse that it's seen. Buying an old radio is just like buying an old computer -- they're both electronics and are old technology.

I'd suggest getting a new aftermarket head unit. It'll have mp3 built in so you'll save money on an adapter. Downside is it doesn't look stock.

Sorry, can't help on speakers.

Best of Luck.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:20 PM

W109 300 SEL 6.3, W201 190 Evo II, W140 S500, W209 CLK Black, W222 S350
A Becker 7990 is a good radio. Single CD, Bluetooth for phone integration, IPOD connectivity and looks very old school.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:29 PM

W123 200T -86
Thanks richard.

Originally Posted by UKEvo
A Becker 7990 is a good radio. Single CD, Bluetooth for phone integration, IPOD connectivity and looks very old school.
What, they still exist? Will do a google search after their site. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:00 PM

W109 300 SEL 6.3, W201 190 Evo II, W140 S500, W209 CLK Black, W222 S350
FWIW they are standard fit in Porsche and Ferrari.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:00 PM

W123 200T -86
Ooo, quite some hot ****, huh?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:31 PM

W123 200T -86
Their tech might be hot ****, but I've gotta say that they haven't got a clue about design though. Quite a style of their own, gotta give them that.
Looks like I'm gonna get me a Sony Mex-R1 or a similar looking stereo. Thanks for your help on the beckers.

Still interested to know about mp3 players and AUX-in vs cigarrette lighter thingie.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:27 AM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
FM transmitters SUCK, full stop. I've tried three different models, including one that was directly connected to the antenna input. If you live any where with a decent number of radio stations, they are barely usable - if you are in a big city, completely useless.

If you are buying a new HU, get one that is iPod compatible - ie has a connection for iPod control. They are not that much more expensive than a HU with AUX in, and it's really nice to be able to drive the iPod through the HU.

Personally, I went with a Blaukpunkt Queens - looked good in the car, sounded excellent, and with a CAN interface, worked a treat with the steering wheel controls. iPod integration was very good - I've only seen better in double DIN units with more screen real estate.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:40 PM

W123 200T -86
Originally Posted by UK-C200
FM transmitters SUCK, full stop. I've tried three different models, including one that was directly connected to the antenna input. If you live any where with a decent number of radio stations, they are barely usable - if you are in a big city, completely useless.

If you are buying a new HU, get one that is iPod compatible - ie has a connection for iPod control. They are not that much more expensive than a HU with AUX in, and it's really nice to be able to drive the iPod through the HU.

Personally, I went with a Blaukpunkt Queens - looked good in the car, sounded excellent, and with a CAN interface, worked a treat with the steering wheel controls. iPod integration was very good - I've only seen better in double DIN units with more screen real estate.
A good radio is important to me, and yes I live in a city, but when you are talking about FM transmitters you are meaning car stereos from the 80's?

HU meaning Head Unit? An iPod campatiable unit, is that one that connects with an USB cable while AUX-in is with a 3.5mm cable from the headphone source? Don't they both have the same out effect, or what am I missing here, sound quality?

I know the Sony Mex-R1, that I've been thinking about cus it's just the best looking stereo I've seen and it would go perfect with an old Mercedes interior, needs an adaptor of some sort. It's probably one of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-CAR-STEREO-...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's a link to the Mex-R1:
http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProdu...+Entertainment