Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

New 2008 Nav DVD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 S600
Didn't know that. I don't think it worthless, if you have 2004, 2005, 2006 or 2007 Nav DVD it has some appeal.
Price drop to $125.00.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by canes85
I have 2008 Nav DVD for $165 includes shipping. Part #BQ6460232.
Fits the following:
04 - 06 S & CL Class
04 - 08 E Class
05 - 08 SLK & SL Class
06 - 08 CLS
You sure your DVD is 2008 and not 2007.2?

I contacted NAVTEQ and asked them to confirm the latest NAV DVD for a 2005 W211. This is the response I received from them on Monday (6/23/08):

"Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. The latest disk for your 2005 E-Class is version 2007.2 which was released in December, 2007. The list price is $199 USD plus shipping and tax. This can be ordered online at http://www.navteq.com by clicking on the "Store" link or over the phone by calling the number listed below. We are open M-F, 8AM-6PM Central Time. Please let us know if you have any further questions."
Old 06-26-2008, 08:50 AM

2012 S600
yes the dvd reads COMMAND Digital Road Map 2008 North America U.S & Canada. Version 7.0
Old 06-27-2008, 06:52 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by canes85
yes the dvd reads COMMAND Digital Road Map 2008 North America U.S & Canada. Version 7.0
Are we talking about the same NAV DVD? I sent another message to Navteq asking for confirmation using the part number that you provided. Here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. The disc BQ6460232 you are asking about is the 2008 NAV DVD it released December 2007 and the version is 2007.2 . Please let us know if you have any further questions.

NAVTEQ
Customer Contact Center
888.628.6277"
Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by jkv11503
Are we talking about the same NAV DVD? I sent another message to Navteq asking for confirmation using the part number that you provided. Here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. The disc BQ6460232 you are asking about is the 2008 NAV DVD it released December 2007 and the version is 2007.2 . Please let us know if you have any further questions.

NAVTEQ
Customer Contact Center
888.628.6277"
That may be what Navteq calls it, but the disk I got in Jan. 2008 at the MB dealer says Version 7.0 also and has that part number. They gave it to me as a "parts warranty" swap for my previous disk, which was labeled 2007.1. That one had a major incompatibility with the S COMAND and wouldn't include any road with a car pool lane in a route. Maybe MB thought the .2 labeling was too confusing. People would assume it's a new map when the only difference between 2007.1 and 7.0/2007.2 is fixing the car pool bug.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by jbondox
The Mercedes part number is BQ 6 46 0233.

was out a few weeks ago and been shipping.
Are you sure this is for the late W220? The Navteq site still shows the 1/2008 Version 7.0 as the latest disk for this model and my dealer doesn't know anything about a later one yet.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 PM

2005 E320 CDI
The latest one I'm aware of is called Version 7.0, released January 2008. But the roads are at least 8 months out-of-date from even then. There are roads near me - an interstate and a state highway - that were completed in May '07 that aren't on there.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by musicmax
The latest one I'm aware of is called Version 7.0, released January 2008. But the roads are at least 8 months out-of-date from even then. There are roads near me - an interstate and a state highway - that were completed in May '07 that aren't on there.
That's typical. Sometimes it takes even longer.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Originally Posted by whoover
Are you sure this is for the late W220? The Navteq site still shows the 1/2008 Version 7.0 as the latest disk for this model and my dealer doesn't know anything about a later one yet.
nope i am retarded the day i posted that... it was for the 221... by bad and i apologize for any confusion... I forgot that there is more than 1 type of S class in the S class thread.... especially after trumpet posts something about his after every drive... just messing with you trumpet... even though there should be your own section

S class
Trumpet's S class
E class

Old 07-06-2008, 11:01 PM

BU
the Dark Night
Old 07-12-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now I know for sure that I need the new DVD. I bought my car as a 2006 model a little over a year ago which came with the 2006.2 dvd and I never bothered to update the DVD. Shame on me once. These past 3 weeks I took a road trip to Orlando from MEM via Atlanta and was deeply dissapointed. Problem number 1 was my error for not updating my DVD before leaving. From MEM you take 78 E to 20E in Birmingham, AL and I quickly found out that 78E magicly dissappears off the command from Tupelo to Birmingham (150 miles) and the mean old lady comes and says "you are now in an area where turn by turn guidance cannot be given." This portion is relatively new and had I bought the new DVD, I'd have seen that. My second problem was the POI were outdated and nolonger exist. Shame on me twice. BUY THE NEW DVD. My question now is this. Which is the latest version? Part#? I have been running 2006.2 from day 1 with my car, would I need to update my firmware or just buying the 2008 will do this? Skylaw, anyone?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E500
Originally Posted by kenstudios
Now I know for sure that I need the new DVD. I bought my car as a 2006 model a little over a year ago which came with the 2006.2 dvd and I never bothered to update the DVD. Shame on me once. These past 3 weeks I took a road trip to Orlando from MEM via Atlanta and was deeply dissapointed. Problem number 1 was my error for not updating my DVD before leaving. From MEM you take 78 E to 20E in Birmingham, AL and I quickly found out that 78E magicly dissappears off the command from Tupelo to Birmingham (150 miles) and the mean old lady comes and says "you are now in an area where turn by turn guidance cannot be given." This portion is relatively new and had I bought the new DVD, I'd have seen that. My second problem was the POI were outdated and nolonger exist. Shame on me twice. BUY THE NEW DVD. My question now is this. Which is the latest version? Part#? I have been running 2006.2 from day 1 with my car, would I need to update my firmware or just buying the 2008 will do this? Skylaw, anyone?
The only problem with that logic, is that the new DVD may also be "old" and not inlcude updated info for the road you were on, etc... Many people say that "new" DVDs are already 1-2 years outdated when they arrive. I'm sure it'll be somewhat newer and improved the your current version...but don't get your expectations up too high. As far as the latest, I don't know anything additional than what has been posted by people in the earlier posts.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
This is the latest.

https://mbworld.org/forums/mobile-electronics-lighting/249176-fs-2008-nav-dvd.html

I don't know whether this member still has it for sale, but it's the part number you want. It was released in January, and will be the latest available until probably the beginning of 2009.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
BTW, I updated from 2006.2 to this DVD in January because the 2007 DVD that I had bought would not work properly in our cars. It will not route you on any road with a carpool lane. Whatever you do, don't use the 2007 disk.

When I moved from 2006.2 to 2008/7.0 there were quite a few road updates and way more POIs. With 2006.2 it was about 50-50 whether even a long-established, popular San Francisco restaurant would be listed. Now, I've yet to find a restaurant that isn't. At least in this area, the POI databases are night and day.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by whoover
This is the latest.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249176

I don't know whether this member still has it for sale, but it's the part number you want. It was released in January, and will be the latest available until probably the beginning of 2009.
Thanks Whoover.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
I have been running 2006.2 from day 1 with my car, would I need to update my firmware or just buying the 2008 will do this?
2006.2 indicates the dealer did the flash before you got the car. The sole point of the 2006.1 to 2006.2 upgrade was to accomodate the new firmware. You should be good to go just replacing the DVD.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The newest nav DVD for the W220 and other models listed is still that shown in the first post in this string.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 PM

2005 S 500
Originally Posted by Skylaw
As I understand it, if you update your nav DVD each year, the nav system updates are applied incrementally (they are the very first thing a new disc does the first time it is inserted). If you skip some updates, you may have to have your system updated by the dealer before a new disc will work.

Also as I understand it, there may be other COMAND updates that address issues other than those in the nav components. My car had a firmware update applied when i bought it, as part of its regular scheduled maintenance. I don't know what it addressed. I do know that in some earlier DVD based COMANDs, firmware updates were required to use the 3D (Bird's Eye) view, and to provide estimated travel time. My COMAND provides that.

I do know that to have your maps relatively current, you need the newest map data. For instance, in my current locale, a new ramp that keeps downtown-bound traffic from having to mix with merging traffic at I-275 and I-4, which was completed late in 2005, did not show on the nav disc released in December 2006; but it is properly included on the disc released in December 2007.

Because the December 2006 disc recently missed the new ramp, directed me to an exit that could no longer be taken, and ran me all over town getting back to where I was going, it was the first thing I checked upon receiving the new disc yesterday.

However, there is no need to install a general COMAND update in order to use the new disc. Many of the changes will be subtle, like the one above. Others include some major expansions in some locales (you can see them on the navTeq site). But the POIs still provide a weak "Yellow Pages" feature that needs beefing up. They seem no better on the new disc.

Since the MB nav DVD is only half full, and NavTeq provides data to such as Garmin (which people seem to rave over as a portable), I don't understand why this feature isn't made better.

Just today I was trying to assist a gentleman through private correspondence regarding his DVD nav system. What follows is all in the operator's manual, but I sought to provide a "quick & dirty" for someone unfamiliar with the system because he will begin a long trip just after receiving discs for his car (his had none), and his car is new to him. You and others probably know this stuff - but it may help a new user enjoy their system a bit more, so here goes for what it's worth (experienced users may want to stop here):

When you first insert a new disc and then turn on COMAND, you'll get a window saying "Updating Software" and a progress bar. Then, the nav program will start. You'll then be ready to go with pretty current information. If the system has not been updated annually, the dealer may have to apply apply the missing updates before you can use the newest disc. If updating a system that hasn't had new discs annually, and you have access to older discs, do this with the oldest disc first, then with each subsequent newer disc.

If you have voice control (a thin push-pull stalk on the upper right of your steering column), you can control many of the nav functions by voice. I frequently use it to zoom in and out; I use a wide coverage for the long portion of trips, and zoom in until I can see street names for local travel. Other functions are available through voice control, and show up in a window onscreen when you activate the stalk.

You'll also want to set your display preferences to show symbols for things such as gas stations, ATM locations, parking lots, hospital emergency room entrances, and so forth (in fact, most of the things shown in your POIs). This feature is not extensively documented in your manual, so it bears some exploration. The manual will tell you how to get into the feature.

Another trick is that you can get into menu options by pressing any of the buttons running in a vertical row on either side of your display. The menus are not usually shown, but all will come up if you press any button. Each "page" of the nav menus may have additional menus associated with the buttons.

Last, you will find the POIs (Points of Interest) useful, especially on long trips, for finding hotels, motels, restaurants, shopping centers, airports, Mercedes dealers, and the like. Also tourist attractions. It's not good for finding individual businesses other than those examples, however (e.g., you can't find "Home Depot" but you can usually locate the shopping center it is in or adjacent to if you know its name). Also, unlike many "Yellow Page" functions, you cannot get telephone numbers, etc. from the disc. Something I wish they'd improve - NavTeq provides such info in the very same database that it sells to MB, to folks like Garmin and others.

You can adjust the orientation of the map display in the "display" menu. It can be always oriented north (I don't like that because the car seems to be moving in a direction other than the way you are steering it, if you are making (for instance) a right turn while headed south, it shows as a left on the map. I orient map display in the direction the car travels; that way left turns always show left on the map, and roads are always in sequence - it's just easier. Sometimes I use the Bird's-Eye (3D view) but that takes a little getting used to. The 3D view may be one that has to be activated by a dealer firmware update - I recall reading that some time ago. However, if it's available to you in the "display" menu, then the update isn't needed for it. The 3D view is automatically oriented to the car's direction of travel.

You can also save any location and name it. One of the most useful is to save your house location, and program it as "Home." Then to get there, you just press "Home" and it will take you there. No scrolling through lists of addresses. You can also choose "Home" as a destination through voice command.

Be sure to set your route preferences so you don't get taken astray. If you tell the system to avoid Interstates, it will try to take you to your destination entirely on back roads - really bad on a long trip. If you tell it to avoid toll roads, it may take you on a more circuitous route than you want. I get the best results allowing the system to select from all options.

If you want to take a particular route - say, I-75 vice I-95 - use the "Via" option to take you through or by (via) a city on the route you wish to take. You can always check the route the nav system has chosen in advance, by using the "List" function (menu).

You can adjust the volume of the navigation instructions only while they are being spoken. You can press the "RPT" (repeat) button as often as you like while you set the volume with your steering wheel buttons.

Have fun!! It is a flexible system that is best enjoyed by practicing with its functions. Other than its weak Yellow Pages (Points of Interest), I find it to be excellent.
Hi, I am new to this forum, I just bought the 2008 Navigation DVD for my S500 from the dealer. They told me to insert and it would work. I drove a few feet from the dealership and decided to insert the dvd and it didn't work, I got a message say insert dvd. I returned to the dealer ship and they said i needed a tech guy. The tech guy came and had no idea what he was doing? They said they needed to hook the car up the the computer, they took it around to the computer from my vantage point i saw 6 guys looking at the car. They came back with the car just find that the navigation systems isn't working anymore with the old dvd. And that i need to come in for it to be fixed. Oops forgot to mention that the black antenna cover came off in teh car wash and i asked for a replacement and they told me the its cost $960. So i made and appointment for that being naive. Upon arriving home I decided to check the back of the dvd in teh truck. Just to notice that they unplugged the dvd. So in effect that dealership is are filled with thieves. Please help on how to get this new dvd working. Thanks all
Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
I would say you're not dealing with the Service Department of the Year.

Any Nav DVD past 2006.1 requires the COMAND firmware be updated. Tell the morons to look for TSB Number P-82-85-264. Title: Navigation System - DVD Not Recognized. They should do it for free as a "parts warranty" on the new DVD they sold you even if your car is off warranty.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:20 AM

2005 sl500-2002 ml500-1998 sl500
MY BLACKBERRY GPS AND LOWRANCE IS FAR SUPERIOR

CAN I DOWNLOAD LOWRANCE GPS SOFTWARE UPDATES-IS THERE A WAY THE DRIVERS ARE COMPATIBLE TO UPDATE MY 2006 S500 2008 GPS UPDATE??
MY BLACKBERRY IS SO FAR SUPERIOR TO FINDING LOCAL POIs AND SO IS THE LOWRANCE IN MY MOTORHOME
I CANT BELIEVE MERCEDES IS SO INDEPT!!!
THANKS JIMC
Old 09-11-2008, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E500
Originally Posted by reagentjimc
CAN I DOWNLOAD LOWRANCE GPS SOFTWARE UPDATES-IS THERE A WAY THE DRIVERS ARE COMPATIBLE TO UPDATE MY 2006 S500 2008 GPS UPDATE??
MY BLACKBERRY IS SO FAR SUPERIOR TO FINDING LOCAL POIs AND SO IS THE LOWRANCE IN MY MOTORHOME
I CANT BELIEVE MERCEDES IS SO INDEPT!!!
THANKS JIMC
no...you can't.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Try entering Q6460232 here ...

http://www.mercedespartssuperstore.com/

... and see how you like that price.

(Always omit the B at the trademotion sites)
Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 CL & S600 designo Espresso's
At their outrageous $22 shipping cost you are NOT saving much in the long run.

The dealer here in Pittsburgh wants to charge me $96 to update the firmware. Can you order the Firmware CD to update system? If so what is the part#

Last edited by 300SDLguy; 11-14-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
300SDLguy, see post #16 at https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/226045-navigation-service-update-dvd.html#post2645001 for the firmware (head unit) update.

Some folks have gotten the dealer to do the update free when they buy the newest nav data DVD from them, and it won't load.

The firmware update discs for the E-Class and the S-Class are the same.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-14-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 CL & S600 designo Espresso's
What is the difference between:

w211 589 15 22 00 COMAND update

and

w211 589 14 22 00 Navigation Module/Processor Update

Do I need BOTH for a complete update on my 04 W220?

Thx

Last edited by 300SDLguy; 11-17-2008 at 02:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 2008 Nav DVD