Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Playing Dvd's through you NAV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Playing Dvd's through you NAV

Can anyone tell me where I can get a adapter to play DVD's through my
01 CLK 430 NAV? And how to install this adapter?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by Lucas007
Can anyone tell me where I can get a adapter to play DVD's through my
01 CLK 430 NAV? And how to install this adapter?
Welcome to the forum.

1) I presume your '01 CLK is equipped with COMAND, and that's what you mean by "play DVDs through my Nav."

2) Your nav system is CD-based and does not ever accept DVDs. Further, no Benz OE "nav" system (at least prior to '07) can be used for anything but navigation.

3) Newer Benzes do have DVD playback capability on COMAND; in the U.S., this is limited to MP3 DVDs or original DVD soundtracks, but no video. European models differ. None of them uses the navigation DVD reader for that purpose, but have their own DVD device built in. You haven't told us where you live, but there are many discussions on this board about that already. As a new guy, the search tool is your friend.

4) If your question is actually whether you can get DVD video to display on the COMAND screen, it can be done by adding a TV tuner with aux ports, then plugging a DVD player into the aux ports. Search again, using terms like "Nav-TV" and "COMAND video." Many posts cover this topic. If you wish, just do a Google search on "Nav-TV."

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-06-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Thanks for the info.
My Nav is CD based. What I need is an adapter to connect a DVD player to the nav.

Can I replace my Nav with a New Command unit from a newer Benz.

Also, I am in Atlanta.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by Lucas007
Thanks for the info.
My Nav is CD based. What I need is an adapter to connect a DVD player to the nav.

Can I replace my Nav with a New Command unit from a newer Benz.

Also, I am in Atlanta.
I know your nav is CD-based. The DVD "Adapter" concern was answered in my prior response.

As to replacing your COMAND - your fiber optics bus that has all of your audio, nav, and COMAND components on it, is D2B. You might be able to fit a COMAND MOPF used in the '03 S-Class - not sure. It would require custom fascia work and possibly addition of an Audio Gateway. However, it is also CD-based for nav and does not have DVD playback without the same tuner mods already discussed. COMAND MOPF is widescreen, and that's about the only advantage it has over what is in your car.

You cannot fit a DVD-based COMAND to your car because they are built for the MOST fiber optics and are not compatible with your D2B bus.

I'd be willing to discuss further, except that it has been thoroughly discussed at least a dozen times on this forum, and as much again on BenzWorld. Rather than my spending 30 minutes to write it all out again, or to go through a thousand or so bookmarks to find those that mention it, it would be much better if you searched for yourself, as recommended.

If you add "Big Sis" to your search terms, you can find many posts on COMAND replacements by a gentleman named Steve Krabbenborg. Steve has replaced many U.S. specification COMANDs with Euro spec COMANDs. Big Sis has written extensively on the differences between them.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-06-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Roadster Sport
Visit this link:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=dvd

Do you have a Euro Comand or a US Spec comand?

There are two options for DVD Playback on the Comand 2.0:

1. Adding a video input to the comand and then using a remote to control the dvd player.

2. Adding a video input with DVD Controllable capability and using your steering wheel controls, and comand buttons to control the dvd player.

I went with the latter of the two choices, since for me its a major PITA to have to use a remote control to make selections, this coupled with needing line of site makes it a cumbersome solution. You can buy a kit (search german ebay or connexx) and its a pretty straight forward install. The way it works is the converter box plugs into the auxillary infrared "eye" port in back of the dvd player. You are then able to control all menu items on the dvd player via your comand, and steering wheel controls. Its a great solution, and I am surprised that so few people do this mod. I am not sure how I lived without it. Also the dvd player has a USB Port on it, so you can use a hard disk, media player, usb key etc to play music,photos,divx and videos off of. Also you can use it to charge your phone (If you can charge via USB) It also has MP3 capability so you can put in an MP3 CD/DVD in the slot and play MP3's over the comand system, and also have the ability to control it fully from your comand unit/steering wheel controls. All in all its a great way to add some of the "newer" comand functions to your Comand 2.0 unit. There is also a 6 disc dvd changer, and you can mount this in your trunk next to the regular cd changer, if you want to carry even more music/videos etc with you.

Last edited by husk323; 01-06-2008 at 08:34 PM.