Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Argos Question (Phone Compatibility)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 s55 AMG
Argos Question (Phone Compatibility)

I'm looking at getting the Argos D2B for my '02 S55. One concern I've got is that I currently have a Windows Mobile 6.0 based smartphone (Sprint Mogul). I was curious if anyone was familiar with how complete the integration is (does phone book, indash caller id, etc work?).

I sent an email to both distributors and haven't received anything back... and I've also searched every MB forum I'm on with no luck.

Also, can anyone comment on Blackberry integration? I might be willing to jump to the darkside if it has more complete integration.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
Well it does say this on their website: "support of Smart and PDA phones (largest range of compatible phones available)"

I'd say ask them about returning policy first, it u can return it, then give it a try.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:53 AM

Tesla Roadster Sport
Phone book integration is done via voice dialing if the contacts are not on the sim card. I have none of my contacts on the sim card so I cannot verify the completeness of the phone book, but to me its pretty useless to have to scroll through hundreds of numbers to get to the one you want to (while driving). The voice dialing feature is a lot easier to use when driving. If you are recieving a phone call, the number of the person will show up on the display, I have not been able to get the name to show up (but it might show up if you have the contacts on your sim card).
Old 01-16-2008, 09:43 AM

2002 s55 AMG
Originally Posted by RW C55
Well it does say this on their website: "support of Smart and PDA phones (largest range of compatible phones available)"

I'd say ask them about returning policy first, it u can return it, then give it a try.
It says it supports them, and I'm aware that basic functionality exists. I just know that on a phone by phone basis, certain functions are not available. Just trying to see what I'd be missing out on, over say, a motorola phone that lists full functionality.

My contacts are on memory card of the phone, not the actual SIM card (to my knowledge atleast, I've had to swap phones and re sync my contacts).

You're totally right that voice dialing would ensure easier dialing capabilities, but I'd still like the name to show up on caller ID.... otherwise it's useless for incoming calls (I know my own number and that's about it).

Does anyone here have the Argos and a WM6.0 phone?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:39 PM

2003 ML-500
I have the Argos in my 2003 ML500 and I use the Q9M Windows Mobile 6.0 phone from Motorola/Verizon.

The basic phone functionality works fine. It pairs up, and it uses the car's micropone, speakers, and head unit buttons. I don't have steering wheel controls.

It does not load the contacts list from the phone into the Argos. (In my case, that is just as well, as I have 1000+ contacts). What it does do is load the "phone number" for the voice recognition function in the phone into the Argos. So, I can select that number from the head unit keypad, hit "send", and then hear over the car's speakers the voice recognition prompt from my phone. I then can say "dial Home" and it will call my contact named "Home".

I've been very happy with it.

If you have any other questions, ask away!
- Frank
Old 01-16-2008, 01:12 PM

2002 s55 AMG
Frank,

Do you not have steering wheel controls, or do you not have access to use them with the Argos? I've got steering wheel controls and it'd be ideal to use them...

If anyone can share their experiences with the Argos and a Blackberry, that would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:16 PM

2003 ML-500
Originally Posted by kdmcash
Frank,

Do you not have steering wheel controls, or do you not have access to use them with the Argos? I've got steering wheel controls and it'd be ideal to use them...

If anyone can share their experiences with the Argos and a Blackberry, that would be appreciated.
I don't have steering wheel controls in my ML at all.

On caller ID, you are right - only the number shows up on the head unit display. I guess you could make use of the distinctive ring per contact feature of the phone to help distinguish who is calling, but that doesn't help with hundreds of contacts, I know.

- Frank
Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 PM

Tesla Roadster Sport
I have steering wheel controls, but on my cluster it says NO Phone, I am assuming this is because the steering wheel controls for the phone was not turned on during my MF-Cluster/Steering wheel install. I am not sure if this due to the Argos unit or the Cluster not being activated for a phone, regardless I am planning on heading down to the dealer so that they can activate it with SDS.