Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

SL 65 Awesome Audio Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
SL 65 Awesome Audio Pics!!!

This is the car we showed at the Las Vegas CES show. Some of you may have seen it. It was in the Zapco booth. Zapco has designed some amazing performing amplifiers. Mike pays a great deal of attention to detail. He has made quite a name for himself in the Beverly Hills area. We are pleased to have him on board. Enjoy the pics.SL 65 Awesome Audio Pics!!!-dscn2333.jpg

SL 65 Awesome Audio Pics!!!-dscn2334.jpg

SL 65 Awesome Audio Pics!!!-dscn2335.jpg

SL 65 Awesome Audio Pics!!!-dscn2336.jpg

SL 65 Awesome Audio Pics!!!-dscn2338.jpg
Old 01-30-2008, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
very clean!
Old 02-02-2008, 01:04 AM

Infiniti
Originally Posted by Kenkahmad
This is the car we showed at the Las Vegas CES show. Some of you may have seen it. It was in the Zapco booth. Zapco has designed some amazing performing amplifiers. Mike pays a great deal of attention to detail. He has made quite a name for himself in the Beverly Hills area. We are pleased to have him on board. Enjoy the pics.Attachment 122525

Attachment 122526

Attachment 122527

Attachment 122528

Attachment 122529
looks good, although I like something a little less visual. But good pics!
Old 02-02-2008, 01:19 AM
XJ9

C350
meh... I dont think its that great:

Im not trying to be overly critical and dont take this personally but the trim work is not that great and certainly not up to the standards of what should be in a car like an SL65. In particular, the whole rear cover panel assembly is terribly plain: One horizontal and one vertical panel, both trimmed to the edges does not match any of the other factory panels. You can see the edge lines. None of the intersections match the aesthetics of the vehicle. Also the leather used to match the trim panels does not match the factory leather. The front LCD trim panel looks added in; the look of the square LCD screen set in against the larger opening for the stock radio looks tacky.

Like I said... just not that great...
Old 02-03-2008, 06:05 PM
jdd

Ferrari 360 F1 spider/searching for right Mercedes
Originally Posted by Kenkahmad
This is the car we showed at the Las Vegas CES show. Some of you may have seen it. It was in the Zapco booth. Zapco has designed some amazing performing amplifiers. Mike pays a great deal of attention to detail. He has made quite a name for himself in the Beverly Hills area. We are pleased to have him on board. Enjoy the pics.
I also noticed the slight color difference of the sub enclosure in the picture. However it may be just the lighting, angle, shadows....etc. If its not it would tend to bother me but again its all personal preference. A more OEM factory look is my preference.

If you don't mind me asking what would a system like this cost and how long did it take to build, install....etc?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Commuter:CRG 125 Shifter Cart/Honda VTR 1000 RC 51/Pacer with 15" wheels, "But I keep them clean."
Thanks for your comments guys. The cover in the rear was specifically done in a slightly different shade of suede. This was done for promotional purposes. We specifically wanted the logo and amps to be slightly highlighted in suede. Remember this car was specifically designed for Zapco. The speakers used were home audio grade and has a sound that is unbelievable. The end result was a piece of artwork. Zapco had the option of asking any of their dealers to do this install. It's a privelege to be recognized by them as there first choice installer. You are all invited to listen and see the car in person. I think only then can you truely appreciate the car.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
jdd

Ferrari 360 F1 spider/searching for right Mercedes
Originally Posted by LA TECH
Thanks for your comments guys. The cover in the rear was specifically done in a slightly different shade of suede. This was done for promotional purposes. We specifically wanted the logo and amps to be slightly highlighted in suede. Remember this car was specifically designed for Zapco. The speakers used were home audio grade and has a sound that is unbelievable. The end result was a piece of artwork. Zapco had the option of asking any of their dealers to do this install. It's a privelege to be recognized by them as there first choice installer. You are all invited to listen and see the car in person. I think only then can you truely appreciate the car.
A contrasting material that makes more sense and if that's the case it looks great. It definitely highlights Zapco which was the purpose of the installation.

What specific Zapco components were used for this system, ie speakers, amps, processors etc.? Did the installers maintain the SL's head unit or switch it out?

You mentioned "it was a privilege to be recognized....... as their first choice installer". Did you install the system and what car audio business do you work for or own?

Overall great job that apparently took a lot of planning and meticulous installation. By the way how long did the installation process take?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:58 AM

1994 SL600
I had the opportunity to sit in this car at the CES and listen to the system. The sound was astounding. As an audiophile, I was very impressed with the set up, soundstage and instrument detail was very good. the low end was fantastic. I met the individual who did the install and tuning. His set up is geared to the audiophile.........you will not see any big fancy drivers or flashing lights in is installations. It is all about the sound. Anyway. I was very impressed with the sound. As for the leather match, I can assure you that the material is the same shade as the interior. I think the lighting has thrown the color off a bit.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 PM

Commuter:CRG 125 Shifter Cart/Honda VTR 1000 RC 51/Pacer with 15" wheels, "But I keep them clean."
Thanks for the complements. The components used were a 6ch Zapco amplifier DC 650.6, Zapco SLBU, Zapco Vol. Control, and Zapco Symbalink. As for drivers they are home audio (2) 28mm tweeters, (2) 5.5 mids, and (6) 5.25 subs. The drivers have not yet been released therefore I am not at liberty of sharing that information. The Double din head unit is from Alpine.

As for hours on this paticular system was pretty intense. Because of the tight schedule we only had an eight day window to finish this project and get it to Vegas. Therefore, Mike, Ed, and a few other assistants worked 6 14 hour days and the final 2 days were all nighters in order to meet the deadline.

Our shop is in Burbank, Ca. Mike Lowery who is behind our Audio department has been in the industry for 15 years. He was previously at Meridian in Beverly Hills which was a Ferrari tuner shop. We recently merged our businesses and have been rock'n ever since. Thanks again for your kind response.

Originally Posted by jdd
A contrasting material that makes more sense and if that's the case it looks great. It definitely highlights Zapco which was the purpose of the installation.

What specific Zapco components were used for this system, ie speakers, amps, processors etc.? Did the installers maintain the SL's head unit or switch it out?

You mentioned "it was a privilege to be recognized....... as their first choice installer". Did you install the system and what car audio business do you work for or own?

Overall great job that apparently took a lot of planning and meticulous installation. By the way how long did the installation process take?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I was at CES and scene the vehicle also. I noticed 2 things right off the bat and never stuck around to further demo it. Sure building demo vehicles are fun and is an honor (sometimes) but what caught me was the guy trying to get out of the vehicle that was 5'11" The box took up way too much room and didn't let the seat go back, also when you were playing it, it didn't seemed tuned correctly, it was a bit muddy. but that was with me kneeling next to the vehicle not in it. The fabrication seemed very good. I talked to Jeff that was in the booth with you for a while. That guy should of tuned it for ya.

I also want to say that I was sick the whole time there, and my hearing was affected, but I heard from another person later that night that it seemed off, also off was the JL demo vehicle.

You know which install I thought was one of the most impressive was that audiopipe hatchback. something about it, they just had to get rid of the glitter on the woofer basket.

Anyways don't take it personal. it was just my observation
Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 PM

clk 500 2003
nice !!!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:48 PM

92 300E Sportline
what the dash should look like...
Attached Thumbnails SL 65 Awesome Audio Pics!!!-p1010016.jpg  
Old 02-17-2008, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
No way! looks to gaudy like that, plus the wood grain doesn't match
Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 PM

92 300E Sportline
here it is in black..... try to do wood yourself sometime and see how difficult it is to match.. it is about as perfect as it gets unless all the wood is redone at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails SL 65 Awesome Audio Pics!!!-dsc08068.jpg  
Old 02-18-2008, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Have done wood many times, including water transfers, for both flat and organic shapes.