Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Help! Removing the radio removal keys...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E55 AMG Estate 1999
Help! Removing the radio removal keys...

Feel a bit of a chump as I can't for the life of me remove the radio removal keys from my radio!

I'm using the official MB keys and have inserted them properly into the two slots at the bottom. They clicked and I was able to easily take out the radio. However, I now can't remove the keys. Is there a knack to removing them? They seem 'locked' into place. Do I push up/down/left/right - maybe the secret really is in the wrist action...

David
Old 04-15-2008, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
LMAO.... I guess somethings are left for professionals

push in on the side clip and remove
Old 04-15-2008, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by jbondox
LMAO.... I guess somethings are left for professionals

push in on the side clip and remove
Thank you, I can now call myself professional.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 AM

W210 E55 AMG Estate 1999
Heh...heh...

It does seemed locked in though. Believe me, I have tried every permutation of push/pull/twist/wiggle.

Maybe I used the wrong keys - here's what I have:

http://www.mellowman.co.uk/mbradiokeys.JPG

David
Old 04-15-2008, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Those are the right keys for an MB radio (that has a flat slot).

Which way did you put them in (cannot think of them locking in if put the wrong side towards the side.

The round end should release the radio by pressing the "spring" towards the radio and then get locked at the small cut. Perhaps the spring has been pressed and been bent so that you don't have enough clearance to press the spring to release it. Couldn't you use a small flat screwdriver from the side where it locks to release it (if it does not release when pressing from the side)
Old 04-15-2008, 12:52 PM

W210 E55 AMG Estate 1999
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Those are the right keys for an MB radio (that has a flat slot).

Which way did you put them in (cannot think of them locking in if put the wrong side towards the side.

The round end should release the radio by pressing the "spring" towards the radio and then get locked at the small cut. Perhaps the spring has been pressed and been bent so that you don't have enough clearance to press the spring to release it. Couldn't you use a small flat screwdriver from the side where it locks to release it (if it does not release when pressing from the side)
Thanks for the comments - everything now sorted...

I had to remove the radio from the car to get a good look at why I couldn't get the keys out. The spring clips that the removal keys lock into were very, very stiff and as you suggested, needed a screwdriver to push them in whilst extracting the keys - job done.

I also decided to take out my ACC unit above the radio and dismantle it to correct the fading LCD display. Once everything was tightened and cleaned it seems to have cured the fading display - for now at least.

My next task is to decipher the third-party installed video/PlayStation2 system, for which there's no documentation or accessories...I'll no doubt require assistance on that as well...

David
---
Old 06-23-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Ml350
I was thinking of getting a replacement deck with nav...

How hard will this be? I have done it in my 300C SRT and it was cake.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
it's a 300c come on... my 8 year old can do that... and he can tell you how to do it with integrating to the amp or bypassing it.

try it and find out. if you are the type that likes to do their own thing no problem... just don't be like the one guy on here and send his girl up to the dealership when he screwed it up...