Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

USA Spec iPod Integration Kit (DTZBENZ211)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 C230K SS
USA Spec iPod Integration Kit (DTZBENZ211)

I've searched the forums and can't find any mention of this product, so I'm starting this new thread. This device is evidently produced by a German (?) company and is offered through Crutchfield ($379.99) and Al-Eds.com ($351.99).

It says it is designed specifically for 2005+ MB factory radios. Crutchfield's product description says that it is connected through the CD changer port (CD changer must be removed), and that you therefore select the CDC mode to control the iPod. Evidently, you get to select five playlists, and then each playlist can be selected like you're selecting a CD in the changer. After talking with a Crutchfield rep, he says that the song title info will display through the multi-function display.

Has anyone actually seen one of these in action? Does it really show all that info on the MFD through the CD changer connection (rather than going into the HU/AUX port)? This seems like a relatively easy plug-and-play option that would avoid me paying the dealer for installation of the MB iPod Integration Kit.
Attached Thumbnails USA Spec iPod Integration Kit (DTZBENZ211)-h581benz211-fp.jpg  
Old 04-16-2008, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I have never seen this particular device, but note that you are limited to 5 playlists. The Dension Gateway 500 costs a bit more, but does not limit playlists; I have over 80. See https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...88#post2234888 and https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...51#post2471051.

Your '05 C-Class would use the MOST version of the Gateway 500; however, without COMAND you would still not get text (song titles) on the radio or instrument cluster; but in the "iPod UI" mode you can control the iPod with the iPod's own controls and screen, and also control some functions with the steering wheel controls.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-16-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 C230K SS
Yeah, I've read about the Dension Gateway, and it seems like a great (if complicated to install) product for those who don't have the luxury of the factory AUX input. However, I've got an '05 C230 SS, so I'm lucky enough to have the AUX port, which means that I can go with the MB iPod kit if I wanted to spend the money.

I just thought this looked like a decent alternative (at about $350-380) to spending the $400-500 (that I've been quoted by my SA) for the dealer to install the factory kit. Since it looks like this is plug-and-play (through the CD changer port in the glove box), even my meager mechanical/technical abilities could handle the "installation." I'm still wondering about the exact capabilities of this unit versus the MB kit.

I might also go with the Harman Kardon Drive + Play 2, since it will supposedly have Bluetooth phone add-on capability at some point.