Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Alpine CHA-S634 (crazy idea)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Alpine CHA-S634 (crazy idea)

MB uses Alpine 6disk CD changer in many models. I believe that it's standard Alpine changer with fiber optic adapter. The adapter looks like a separate element and I 'm thinking about possibility to connect the adapter to Alpine CHA-S634 supporting MP3 playback. If somebody has by any chance Alpine CHA-S634
then could you post picture of back panel especially if it uses m-bus?
Old 12-09-2002, 03:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 COUPE SOLD -> Porsche Taycan 4S
i dont have that changer myself, but a friend does and im pretty sure thats its ai net only. i dont remember it having m-bus compatibility. sorry.

b
Old 12-09-2002, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
I selected this changer, because crutchfield.com claims that it can be m-bus with a simple adapter. It says also that in m-bus configuration it will lose some feature as folder navigation and so on. So it sounds like it can be. Actually, it's very tempting to have MP3 changer controlled from stock radio.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
That's very interesting. I'd like to add the S634, but up to now I thought you'd have to get a separate controller for it (ai-net controller). Keep us posted.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
I have the S634 changer, and from what I gather, you can't use a non-MP3 capable head unit to control the changer. In essense, the head unit is what decodes the signal sent from the changer. The changer itself doesn't decode the MP3 files into music, its the head unit that decodes it.

And since OEM MB headunits don't understand the MP3 file format, you'd have to get an MP3 aftermarket headunit in order for it to be able to work.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
It makes sense. However, I believe m-bus units are also not capable to do MP3 decoding, and Crutchfield site claims that this unit will work with m-bus and play MP3, but folders and tags. An adapter used by MB connected to Alpine unit using 9 wire ribon cable. Have you any chance to look what inside of your unit?
Old 12-15-2002, 04:42 PM
Almost a Member!

C180K
Originally posted by mmgrad
I have the S634 changer, and from what I gather, you can't use a non-MP3 capable head unit to control the changer. In essense, the head unit is what decodes the signal sent from the changer. The changer itself doesn't decode the MP3 files into music, its the head unit that decodes it.

And since OEM MB headunits don't understand the MP3 file format, you'd have to get an MP3 aftermarket headunit in order for it to be able to work.
you may misunderstood sg. the alpine MP3 changer DOES decode the mp3s. you can use it with an alpine HU which does not have mp3 capabilities!
Old 12-19-2002, 10:00 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Hey guys, the BMW people and NSX people have been able to get this unit with their stock head units!!

For BMW:
BMW S634 Install

For NSX:
NSX S634 Install

The problem I see is that the MB Bose sound system uses an optical connection and don't know if it'll work with the newer cars with an optical network. It may or will work with the older vehicles without the optical network.

The MP3 decoder is built into the changer. If you notice the two articles, they describe how to scroll through the track lists.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
TomGuy, thank you. These links 're quite helpful. I'm going to contact this guy to ask some questions. The idea is to use fiber optic adapter from a regular changer with MP3 changer
Old 12-20-2002, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
I read this thread with interest... and so last night, pumped up on cafe sua from the local late-night pho'' place, I pulled out one of my MC3198 changers and ripped it apart.

Although the optical interface on the back is a "separate part" as Dema points out, the connection to the changer is a ribbon cable. Where the ribbon cable goes in on the MBZ changer, my old M-Bus Alpine changer had a standard DIN cable. Although I took apart the Alpine changer, I don't remember how the DIN cable plugged into the board. So I am wondering if the output of the fibre optic adapter assembly is M-Bus... then that could be converted to Ai-Net (like the S634 uses) and we're off and running.

I'll try and get my old M-Bus changer back from my friend (he broke it) and see what I can Frankenstein together. Hopefully, one of the local large chains (with a 30 day return policy) carries the Alpine changer and Ai-Net/M-Bus adapter, so I can see how if it will all work together!

This is one instance where if you have a pre-1999 model Mercedes (non-optical), you are in a better situation... it seems like it would all plug together (with two adapters).

-s-