Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W210 after market in-dash Nav questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 E430 SE, '02 Avalanche Z66, '06 R-350
W210 after market in-dash Nav questions

I have tried the search function but have not found anything close to what I need (I think I suck at the internet anyway), so if this is old I appologize in advance.

I'm thinking of replacing the factory radio/cassette system with an after market Navigation system. Went to Best Buys, etc., and was told that the double din can't be installed without modification.

I'm also told that the car has fiber optic system and that means that all the wiring has to be replaced.

Is all this true? What are my alternatives?

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
where abouts in Ga? Best Buy are you serious? you go to best buy for advice on audio? if you knew absolutely nothing about anything audio.... you still know twice as much as they do.

I know of a few great shops in Ga... let me know... BTW they are specialty shops... not some guy that wants to grow up and become a trash collector after a year of screwing up vehicles
Old 05-31-2008, 12:24 PM

I go back and forth from GA to PA. Right now I'm in Reading, PA.

I know next to nothing about these matters, all I know is that I want a hardwired connection to my iPod and I might as well go for a Nav unit.

Are you saying it's not as bad as I've been told? I figure the worst news is the "re-wiring of the whole car" bit. If I can't fit a double din, I can live with a non-Nav unit.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:54 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by f-rod
I go back and forth from GA to PA. Right now I'm in Reading, PA.

I know next to nothing about these matters, all I know is that I want a hardwired connection to my iPod and I might as well go for a Nav unit.

Are you saying it's not as bad as I've been told? I figure the worst news is the "re-wiring of the whole car" bit. If I can't fit a double din, I can live with a non-Nav unit.
First think to do is to decide how much you are willing to spend - after you have done that, then your options are much easier...

I will, however, strongly advise that you keep your Mercedes the hell away from any "Best But / Circuit City" class of audio installer. I have yet to hear of a SINGLE person who was happy going that route. I personally know one of the guys who ended up with about $1500 worth of damage to his C after the goons at Best Buy broke trim trying to do an install, cut wiring harnesses to do the install, and then attempted to put the A10 head back in after they realized they had no clue how to get the head they sold him to work.

Last edited by UK-C200; 05-31-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
the local best buy here spliced a signal wire into the MOST look to hook up some beats ....rule number 1, fiber optic cable will not give you an analog signal
Old 06-01-2008, 03:13 AM
XJ9

C350
I agree.. as jbondox was explaining, your vehicle passes the signals along a fiber optic system which will be scrapped if you decide to put in an aftermarket unit. It can be done but the BB guy is not going to have the experience to do it.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 PM

$30 FM transmitter for the iPod. Portable Garmin Nav unit.

End of story.

This is all too complicated for me to worry about. I like simple. I'll probably just end up getting a new E when the body changes in 2010.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Roadster Sport
An aftermarket nav is no harder to install in this car than any other car, I suggest you use the search feature and you will see that several people have succesfully installed an aftermarket nav unit in their vehicle
Old 06-01-2008, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by husk323
An aftermarket nav is no harder to install in this car than any other car, I suggest you use the search feature and you will see that several people have succesfully installed an aftermarket nav unit in their vehicle
But you have to admit that a car with standard ISO/DIN connectors and no specific HU integration with other devices in the car is easier for an after market installation job than e.g. an MB with fibre ring, Sound system amp at the ring, phone kit in the ring, Tele-Aid in the ring, CDC in the ring etc. It should be fair to expect the integration functionality maintained with the after market setup. Including the instrument cluster integration. Of course easier if these are compromised.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by husk323
As I wrote on my very first post, I did a search and found nothing that addresses my concerns.

Will I have to replace the entire wiring system? Are there other alternatives?

Diesel Benz unerstood and replied with what I was looking for. Thanks DB.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:21 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by f-rod
As I wrote on my very first post, I did a search and found nothing that addresses my concerns.

Will I have to replace the entire wiring system? Are there other alternatives?

Diesel Benz unerstood and replied with what I was looking for. Thanks DB.
FRod - the problem is that there's no easy answer to your questions. Depending on the option you have in your car, removing the factory head unit and replacing it with an aftermarket one will cause problems....

In general, if you have the Bose system, it's a more complicated install. If you have other "fiber" interfaced devices, you will lose those. (Teleaid? MB phone integration?)

The above said, on my first C coupe, I wanted ipod integration, and I did not think I had any other option other than a HU replacement.

I did not have any other "fiber" devices, so it was pretty straight forward. I even managed to retain my steering wheel controls. It was NOT an "easy" or "beginner" project - the MB was "harder" to get apart, and harder to get back together that any other car I'd worked on. It was also a pain in the **** with regard to wiring harnesses (I eventually found one that would work), and the first DIN fascia adapter I got fit fine, but looked like a piece of crap.

So - yeah - it can be done, but go into it with realistic expectations. It's not a trivial install, and it's much easier (IMHO) to pay a professional (NOT BestBuy) audio installer to do the work for you.

One thing that I did not do was to replace the speakers - the factory ones sounded great to my ears, but I do regret not upgrading when I was doing it...

I think my best measure of success was that when we sold the car, I'd planned to stick the A10 head back in it - but the buyer insisted that he wanted me to leave the Blaupunkt in!

Last edited by UK-C200; 06-02-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
I have the OEM navigation unit installed in my 1998 W210. The story that I got from the previous owner, was that he got the unit shipped over to him from Europe. He then had to replace all the wiring with fiber and get a new center console facia to match the nav system. With you already having the fiber I would think that it would be an easier swap. The only thing that I do not like about it, is that it does not have any USA time zones, so it is set to Russian time which is 12 hours from East coast time.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:28 AM

It pays to be persistent

Here is what I got from Crutchfield:

1- The Pioneer HU (I think you can go with any other, but not sure).($289.99)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-B4fGLZb...00BT&s=0&cc=01

2- Wiring harness (adapter for the Fiber Optic) (Free).

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-B4fGLZb...1784&s=0&cc=01

3- MB stereo removal tool. (Free)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-B4fGLZb...9001&s=0&cc=01

4- Antenna connection adapter. (Free)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-B4fGLZb...VW12&s=0&cc=01

5- Mastersheet instructions. (Free)

http://www.crutchfield.com/popups/wh...tersheets.html

Total cost: $289.99 + install.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Roadster Sport
all you need is the vw harness, and then wire up the speakers to the head unit itself and not the bose amp, the wiring of the whole car does not need to be replaced....That being said you will not get steering wheel or instrument cluster integration.