Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Newbie: Adding Sirius, Bluetooth & MP3 Playback to 06 E350?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:46 AM
XJ9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Sorry, I didn't look closely enough at the fact you have an E-Class. Externally, your COMAND looks identical to my '05 S-Class COMAND, which plays DVD audio (movie or DVD audio); however, your COMAND manual does not list DVD as a compatible format.
for 2005 i believe some E classes got an in dash DVD like the S while others got just a CD player. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why; My guess is that they ran out of CD drives in the supply chain and used DVD drives for a bit instead.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:00 AM

2006 E350
Originally Posted by XJ9
thats actually not a bad price at all for non prewired sirius... normally its several hundred dollars higher because the wiring has to be added in.. I can tell you that the sirius module alone parts cost is like $650 and the completer kit is another 150 (thats basically the bracket and antenna and fastners). so it sounds like they quoted you the pre-wire install price. When the prewiring is not included then you need additional parts that include the actual plug that fits the sirius and extra fiber optic cables and additional labor is needed to run and connect the wires. I remember because we found out the hard way after quoting a client before we realized the car was not prewired.

you might want to jump on that price if you can hold them to it because it sounds like they made the same mistake.
Thanks for the advice! I'm just struggling wether to spend the $.

Pros: Our local radio really sucks around here and its either that or MP3 files off the CD changer

Cons: I only drive 10-15 min each way to work, and we use the family minivan for long trips. We'd be spending about $1.1K + $12 / mos for not much use of the sat radio.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by XJ9
for 2005 i believe some E classes got an in dash DVD like the S while others got just a CD player. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why; My guess is that they ran out of CD drives in the supply chain and used DVD drives for a bit instead.
XJ9, you are correct. A look at RichardA's wonderful site at http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND++...rticle-11.html confirms that the COMAND unit in the 2005 E-Class changed in mid year (not unusual with European car manufacturers). Prior to July, 2005, apparently the cars came equipped with a CD reader that was used for nav or for music playback. After that, the COMAND was changed to a COMAND having a DVD/CD reader, and the nav unit was separate from the COMAND (at least, as I can best interpret the data). Richard gives the information, even including the chassis numbers.

By the way, Richard's site (home page http://www.mercupgrades.com/) is a wonderful MB resource for all kinds of information, especially information. It is a complex site with a huge amount of information, so he has provided a search tool on the home page.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by igolfchip
Thanks for the advice! I'm just struggling wether to spend the $.

Pros: Our local radio really sucks around here and its either that or MP3 files off the CD changer

Cons: I only drive 10-15 min each way to work, and we use the family minivan for long trips. We'd be spending about $1.1K + $12 / mos for not much use of the sat radio.
You found the AUX jack - the least expensive option for pretty good audio is a $5 Radio Shack mini-jack for an iPod. Plug it into your AUX jack, select AUX on your head unit, and enjoy. If you have an original iPhone, you may need the special Apple cable that fits the recessed jack (that feature, thankfully, disappears on the new 3G iPhone).

You may be able to use the Apple/MB iPod integration - but the GW 500 will cost less and sound a bit better. You're looking at half the cost of the Sirius option. BTW, the GW 500 also has an optional Bluetooth module that allows for handsfree cellular operation. It doesn't integrate with COMAND as well as OE MB equipment, but it does provide some integration (I have never used it, only read about it on the Dension site - so I can't provide much detail).

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-10-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 C55
If anyone is interested a used Sirius receiver just was posted on E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220255651302

Joe
Old 07-10-2008, 09:46 PM

2006 E350
Thanks! Will this work on the W211?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 C55
Originally Posted by igolfchip
Thanks! Will this work on the W211?
I am guessing they are all the same when it comes to the receiver itself. I purchased a receiver from a W211 and put it in my W203. It worked fine.

If you want, I also have the mounting bracket for a W211 and the antennae that I was going to sell on E-bay.

Let me know if you are interested.

Joe