Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Bluetooth and Laptop - (Not Phone)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Bluetooth and Laptop - (Not Phone)

I read in my c350 manual that you can pair the MB to phones and or a laptop. However, it doesn't say which laptops. I read online that one user successfully paired his macbookpro with the MB.

I however, cannot seem to do this. I have bluetooth active in the car. I have the laptop set to discoverable. I have tested bluetooth from one laptop to another -just to make sure it can be found...

But the car doesn't find it.

Wouldn't this be the easiest way to transfer MP3's and contact lists for those of us whose bluetooth phones the MB doesn't support?

I keep reading others that say they've succeeded - any clues as to how? Anyone with experience using a macbookpro and their Mercedes Bluetooth - greatly appreciated ( 2007 C 350)
Old 07-01-2008, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by tommyz
I read in my c350 manual that you can pair the MB to phones and or a laptop. However, it doesn't say which laptops. I read online that one user successfully paired his macbookpro with the MB.

I however, cannot seem to do this. I have bluetooth active in the car. I have the laptop set to discoverable. I have tested bluetooth from one laptop to another -just to make sure it can be found...

But the car doesn't find it.

Wouldn't this be the easiest way to transfer MP3's and contact lists for those of us whose bluetooth phones the MB doesn't support?

I keep reading others that say they've succeeded - any clues as to how? Anyone with experience using a macbookpro and their Mercedes Bluetooth - greatly appreciated ( 2007 C 350)
Have you tried pairing from the laptop?

What are you after with the laptop BT connection? You cannot do a lot more than sending visitor cards to the local phone book at the car (if it has one).
Old 07-03-2008, 07:16 PM

C350
Thats what I want to do - send contacts

But I couldn't figure out how to pair from the laptop to the car - I saw some screen that said "external authorization" that one of the MB Techs knew - but when my car got back out from the upgrade I was getting - he had already gone home.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But I couldn't figure out how to pair from the laptop to the car - I saw some screen that said "external authorization" that one of the MB Techs knew - but when my car got back out from the upgrade I was getting - he had already gone home.
It should work from the laptop just about the same as if you pair to Comand from a phone: just use your BT services to find a new BT device to pair with. The device should come up with a list of BT devices found. Select the device you want, your phone/laptop should request you to enter a code for pairing, once you enter that, Comand should come with a BT code query window, enter the same code and it should be done.

If I remember right, the BT device name in my car is something UHI-related, I guess the UHI controller actually takes care of the BT connection instead of the Comand (this is different from the BT interface device that appears as "MB telephone" for me).
Old 07-04-2008, 09:20 AM

C350
interesting

When I go to pair with the car and use the browse function on the BT with my laptop - only one item shows as available. MB Bluetooth. Then - when I tell the system to pair - a screem pops up on the Command saying "Do you want to Authorize XX Laptop" - I say ok. Then the laptop says - pairing - and then connection failed. I have tried "empty passkey", "automatically generate passkey", "system expects specific passkey" and the final option that I can't remember at the moment. None worked.

My bt on the laptop only finds one device to pair to - which is the MB Headset. I have been able to successfully pair to this device (from the laptop side only) - the laptop says "connected" but the car says "authorization failed".

Last edited by tommyz; 07-04-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:31 AM

C350
Ok - I give up - now trying method two - import from PCMCIA card

I exported my Vcards from my computer to a PCMCIA card with compact flash adapter

I then viewed the vcards in another application to make sure all the data was there - phone numbers, addresses, etc. All look good.

I put the PCMCIA card into the Mercedes - went to Phone, Phone List, Import External Data from Memory Card - it imported.

I look and now have all my contacts in the Mercedes. However, no phone numbers. Just all the names.

Does anyone know what I've done incorrectly?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When I go to pair with the car and use the browse function on the BT with my laptop - only one item shows as available. MB Bluetooth. Then - when I tell the system to pair - a screem pops up on the Command saying "Do you want to Authorize XX Laptop" - I say ok. Then the laptop says - pairing - and then connection failed. I have tried "empty passkey", "automatically generate passkey", "system expects specific passkey" and the final option that I can't remember at the moment. None worked.

My bt on the laptop only finds one device to pair to - which is the MB Headset. I have been able to successfully pair to this device (from the laptop side only) - the laptop says "connected" but the car says "authorization failed".
Have you checked from the Comand menu that BT is active? This is separate from the BT phone adapter (it all reads in the manual too)?

Sounds like you are trying to connect to the wrong BT device (as I explained earlier).

Edited: I realised you actually have a W204. That may be different from what I'm used to. You probably aren't using any BT phone adapter.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I exported my Vcards from my computer to a PCMCIA card with compact flash adapter

I then viewed the vcards in another application to make sure all the data was there - phone numbers, addresses, etc. All look good.

I put the PCMCIA card into the Mercedes - went to Phone, Phone List, Import External Data from Memory Card - it imported.

I look and now have all my contacts in the Mercedes. However, no phone numbers. Just all the names.

Does anyone know what I've done incorrectly?
The W221 does not have this function at all. I'm guessing your phone number type was not what Comand expected. You could test with single number entries and specify the phone number to be "home", "work" etc. Perhaps the manual tells which numbers Comand accepts.