Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

NEW! iPhone adapter from Mercedes announced!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLK 500
Talking NEW! iPhone adapter from Mercedes announced!

Mercedes is buying the iPhone-is-God credo, and has come up with a designated piece of gear to allow Benz drivers to integrate their iPhones into the car system. The US$249 gadget works with the C-, E-, CLK-, CLS-, S-, CL-, SL-, M- and R-Class cars, as well as the forthcoming GLK-Class. It connects your phone to the car's audio system via either the optionally available Media Interface or the retrofittable iPod® Interface Kit.

Full article and mercedes press release http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/06/me..._cradle-2.html
Old 07-12-2008, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
For about the fourth time, that press release is talking about the Euro-spec UHI version. Why an Australian article quotes the price of a German part in US dollars is beyond me, but as far as I know MB has not announced the MHI version that would work in US cars.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 S560; 2021 C300
As posted in the W221 Forum, I confirmed with Wireless4MB that the iPhone cradle WILL be released in August for the US market, however price and part number have not been made available. Unfortunately, the cradle will only be compatible with the first generation iPhone for now, with an update for the iPhone 3G to follow several months later...
Old 07-19-2008, 12:25 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Is this for cars with the 09 telematics only, or will it be retrofittable to any that are iPod adapter-able? (04-08)???
Old 07-19-2008, 12:43 PM

ML350 Bluetech
Originally Posted by carpersn
Is this for cars with the 09 telematics only, or will it be retrofittable to any that are iPod adapter-able? (04-08)???
Exactly. I've got a '07 ML and really want this! And I'm wondering what the chances are that it's under $500.... I'm getting irritated that we pay a premium to drive a Mercedes but cars like Ford, Honda, etc actually dare to include things like Bluetooth while we get gouged more for it.

I'm also questioning that it will only work with the first version of the phone. If it's running the iPhone 2.0 software I would think that it communicates exactly the same via the dock connector as the 3G version.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
It sounds like it will interface with the iPod integration for audio; in other words not only will it cost $500 but will require the iPod integration be installed as well. Certainly the description of the Euro version states that it works with the iPod adapter, not instead of it.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The telematics tech at my dealership pointed out that the '07 and '08 W221 iPod adapter cables allow music playback from an iPhone, but not use as a phone. He said that the '09 system would allow both (but he was talking about a cable, not the new cradle). He did not know how the cradle would be fitted to the '07 and '08, and did not know if it would enable both music and telephony functions seamlessly.

He had no idea whether the cradle could be fitted to earlier models using a Bluetooth puck and either the Apple/MB iPod kit or a Gateway 500. Right now, to the best of my understanding, by using a Gateway 500 and a Bluetooth puck with in my '05 W220, I can use both the music playback and the phone capabilities of the iPhone, and switch between the two with steering wheel controls.

My only caveat is that while he had all the MB charts and installation diagrams and data, he did not truly seem to understand the iPhone - so I pass this on to be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 S560; 2021 C300
Unfortunately what I know about the iPhone cradle is limited to that which pertains to the W221 S Class, however I believe that any model which is capable of iPod integration is compatible with the cradle.

With regard to the cradle not working with the iPhone 3G, the issue is not with the software, rather it has to do with the new shape of the iPhone. The current cradle will only "fit" the first generation phone, and thus iPhone
3G users unfortunately will have to wait until a retrofit is created to accomodate the new exterior. As far as software, the iPhone 3G pairs perfectly with the bluetooth puck. At least that won't be an issue as we all wait for the cradle...

Hope this clears things up a bit...
Old 07-24-2008, 11:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Anyone heard anything yet regarding US availability/retrofitting???
Old 07-25-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
OK, so this is speculation, but what would be involved in adding this new US spec iPhone connection to a 2006 E350 not already wired for phone? Would you need PSE, GPS antenna and maybe wiring harness as I don't think those were included in the 06?

FYI, VIN # for car is WDBUF56J86A768629. I take delivery tomorrow assuming it passes an accident inspection at the mechanic.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anyone heard anything yet regarding US availability/retrofitting???
I checked with my dealer and AWS last week; they had no information yet.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by zitsky
OK, so this is speculation, but what would be involved in adding this new US spec iPhone connection to a 2006 E350 not already wired for phone? Would you need PSE, GPS antenna and maybe wiring harness as I don't think those were included in the 06?

FYI, VIN # for car is WDBUF56J86A768629. I take delivery tomorrow assuming it passes an accident inspection at the mechanic.
Congratulation on your new car.

See https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...77#post2788377 for the basics of the equipment you will need (but be sure to have the dealer check the phone bulletin for your car for exact part numbers) for the phone portion of the iPhone; and you would need the MB iPod kit or something like the Dension Gateway 500 for the music portion.

If your car didn't have the "prewired" option, you would also need the harness; the dealer should be able to look this up for you.

My understanding of the iPhone cradle (which is limited) is that the iPod connector will plug into it (which is why I hold out a hope that something like the Gateway 500 will work with it), and the phone portion will simply work through the car's Bluetooth system. But I have never seen one, or even anything definitive in writing, so don't take that as "gospel."

Frankly, contributors have reported success using the iPhone simply by plugging it into the MB/Apple iPod connector or a Gateway 500 for music, and pairing it with their installed Bluetooth system. No cradle is necessary, and the iPod kit charges it. I also understand that the iPhone can be answered or calls placed by using the steering wheel controls while it is playing music (as long as it is not in "airplane" mode) with this setup, in '06 and earlier cars. I am told that the iPod cable connections in the '07 and '08 W221s do not permit this simultaneous use - that is, the iPhone must either be disconnected, or some other action taken to switch from music play to phone. If some of you with experience could confirm this, or shoot it down, I'd appreciate it.

I am not certain you can use the iPhone nav capabilities as a substitute for a factory nav system (is that why you think you need a GPS antenna?)

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-26-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 PM

fleet vehicle
Originally Posted by MrMBenz1
...Unfortunately, the cradle will only be compatible with the first generation iPhone for now...
Big surprise from a company that was selling cars in 2004 with factory radio/cassette players.

Sounds like they put the iphone on the developmental fast track.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:31 PM

MB R 320 CDI, MB SLK
I recently purchased the iPhone cradle here in Finland, and at least the one that is sold here is for the 3G iPhone. However, I am not quite happy with the cradle:
- The phone has to be in the cradle in order for it to work, even though the phone is connected via Bluetooth.
- This means that although you can connect up to 4 different phones, they all have to be iPhones as they have to fit in the cradle
- You can achieve the same by having a MP Bluetooth puck and an iPod connector.
- Except for the switching between music and phone mode, which I do not know if it possible without the cradle

I wish the Bluetooth connection would have worked without having the phone in the cradle which would also have enabled to connect other phones than iPhones
Old 07-28-2008, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by shoeshine
I recently purchased the iPhone cradle here in Finland, and at least the one that is sold here is for the 3G iPhone. However, I am not quite happy with the cradle:
- The phone has to be in the cradle in order for it to work, even though the phone is connected via Bluetooth.
- This means that although you can connect up to 4 different phones, they all have to be iPhones as they have to fit in the cradle
- You can achieve the same by having a MP Bluetooth puck and an iPod connector.
- Except for the switching between music and phone mode, which I do not know if it possible without the cradle

I wish the Bluetooth connection would have worked without having the phone in the cradle which would also have enabled to connect other phones than iPhones
This was some interesting info. I don't have an iPhone and obviously no cradle then either but I remember reading elsewhere comments that the iPhone cradle would support other phones for BT HF. How do you actually initiate phone pairing with this BT device (the other ones have a specific button)? Does it not allow pairing with another phone brand?

I understand that the phone needs to be in the cradle for music playback (as long as the car/the phone do not support BT audio/video streaming) but to me the main idea of BT in the car is that you can keep your phone in your pocket or where ever it is. I was assuming this was possible with the iPhone and the iPhone cradle too (although since iPhone does not support BT SAP, it would soon run out of battery if not in the cradle, specifically the 3G model).
Old 07-30-2008, 06:55 AM

MB R 320 CDI, MB SLK
The pairing has to be initiated when the phone is not in the cradle by pushing a specific pairing button on the cradle. You can pair other phones than iPhones, but since the phone has to be in the cradle for the connection to take place you cannot use other phones since they do not fit nto the cradle.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by shoeshine
The pairing has to be initiated when the phone is not in the cradle by pushing a specific pairing button on the cradle. You can pair other phones than iPhones, but since the phone has to be in the cradle for the connection to take place you cannot use other phones since they do not fit into the cradle.
This sounds really stupid. I understand the MP3 player function would only work when the phone is in the cradle but why does the phone need to be in the cradle for phone calls when the phone anyway works from the pocket with other BT car kits! I guess there must be a switch at the cradle that detects the presence of the phone in the cradle and activates BT HF only then? Is it not possible to fool this switch to enable other phones being used.

With this implementation one would need multiple BT adapters for different phone models, just like different cradles are needed for different phones. The latter is obvious but for BT HF this it completely stupid. Or do you find any goor reason for this?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 AM

MB R 320 CDI, MB SLK
I agree that this is a stupid feature, and I cannot see any reason for this. I guesss the workaround is that you buy the MB Bluetooth puck, which to my understanding works with multiple phones, and then you add the iPod interface. The only drawback I can see is that the phone does not charge, and there might be a problem in switching between phone and iPod mode.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S 55 AMG
Iphone 3 G s for S 500 ?

I have an 1997 S500 with alpine radio that has a bluetooth and iphone controls and i;m very happy . But I'm thinking to sell it and upgrade to 2002 model S 500.
My problem is that you can't replace the factory radio to install all my toys. Is anybody knows if there's any adaptor to connect my iphone to the OEM radio ?
Thank you
Old 09-13-2009, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hotgreek
I have an 1997 S500 with alpine radio that has a bluetooth and iphone controls and i;m very happy . But I'm thinking to sell it and upgrade to 2002 model S 500.
My problem is that you can't replace the factory radio to install all my toys. Is anybody knows if there's any adaptor to connect my iphone to the OEM radio ?
Thank you
You can use the iPhone with the Mercedes V60 Bluetooth puck for phone communication. You can use a Dension Gateway 500 (for D2B) iPod adapter for the music portion. What you will need for the Bluetooth capability will be determined by the equipment that is already installed in whatever car you buy. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...ades-plug.html, especially permalink numbers 1, 2, and 7. #7 deals with Tele-Aid - not required, it's just in case you were interested. Subsequent posts also contain information you may want.

My installation of the Dension Gateway 500 for MOST bus cars is at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...st2376586.html. The D2B installation for your car is MUCH simpler (no changes in the trunk). Also, you will not have song title readout (a limitation of the older COMAND units). You do get track numbers; however, you can select songs, albums, playlists, and artists using the iPod itself, and you can scroll and control volume using the COMAND and steering wheel buttons. Music playback is paused for navigation instructions and phone calls, and resumed after. You also keep your CD changer - something not offered by all iPod integration kits.

Another alternative is to replace the entire COMAND system (and the Bose audio system, voice control, phone system, and CDC) with something like the Pioneer AVIC Z4 or D3, or a Kenwood or Alpine unit. Folks have written up their experience - just search the audio and telematics forum and the specific vehicle forums for their posts.by the brand names.

The only W220 that had a direct plug-in for iPod was the '03 model. It is located on the left side inside the glove compartment, and is a 3.5mm stereo jack.

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-13-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 AM

s350
hi
i have a ipod kit b67824567 anyone have the installation manual?
thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 04:32 PM

Mercedes S500
HEEELPPPP!!!

I have recently purchased an 03 S500 the bluetooth links I can see my phone book on the screen in the gauge cluster, i can even dial a number on the key pad, HOWEVER, I cant talk when people call or when I call them, it interupts my music as its supposed to but no audio to or from the caller (i have an iPhone 3GS IOS 5 old I know but its doing what I ask it to do so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade). Also if I play voice memos it plays through the bluetooth but nothing during calls any help would be deeply appreciated.

Oh and any known problem spots with the S that I should look out for would be helpful also (it does have less than 100k ion the clock)
Old 10-30-2013, 12:09 PM

2006 E350
I have an '06 E350. It is not currently wired for hands free phone. What do I need to get this option installed?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The most current writeup on this is at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...ades-plug.html

Follow the matrix in the first post to see which of the first seven posts apply. You would be installing an MHI phone system; your car has a MOST fiber optics bus.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by The Beef
I have recently purchased an 03 S500 the bluetooth links I can see my phone book on the screen in the gauge cluster, i can even dial a number on the key pad, HOWEVER, I cant talk when people call or when I call them, it interupts my music as its supposed to but no audio to or from the caller (i have an iPhone 3GS IOS 5 old I know but its doing what I ask it to do so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade). Also if I play voice memos it plays through the bluetooth but nothing during calls any help would be deeply appreciated.

Oh and any known problem spots with the S that I should look out for would be helpful also (it does have less than 100k ion the clock)
There are three possible problems causing you not to be able to talk (I am assuming the problem is only with talking, not hearing): 1) a bad or disconnected microphone. Check the phone bulletin for your car to be sure the mic is connected. 2) A bad or poor contact between the puck and the cradle you have, if you are using that combination. The older V60 cradle is smaller than the V60S cradle the puck was designed to fit, and sometimes fits the puck too tightly. If the contacts are clean, push the puck in as tightly as it will go. A better approach is to use the Cradle Eliminator cable to replace the cradle altogether. 3) Your phone is muted.

Your simple question on "known problem spots" would fill a book - in fact, and Encyclopedia. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...tart-here.html

Don't be too put off; at 100K, you could have Airmatic problems and could begin to have wear in some steering and front suspension components. The Encyclopedia lists just about every problem folks have - but no one has all of them. The buying guide info in the last post has some info on potential trouble spots. I refer you to that particular forum for the Encyclopedia because it is maintained and more current there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NEW! iPhone adapter from Mercedes announced!