Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

STEREO Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
STEREO Help

So I got a c63 on order and plan on updating the sound system. This will be my first sound system, so I really dont have much experience besides the limited research I've done reading and hearing a few friends systems....

What I Want = a hard thumping sub or 2 that will make my viscera feel nauseous, my heart feeling like it may skip a beat, and something that is an overall upgrade for the music I listen too, which is mainly rap, rock, alternative, etc. ---- I know clean and bass requires some sacrifice of one or the other, ideally I would like both but rather have a harder hitting system

My Plan/Budget (3,000) =
JL Audio 12w7/13w7, (2) 12w6 v2, or (1/2) Kickler 12" L7 subs
JL Audio Amp 1000:1 or better?
JL Cleansweep (sp?) --- I plan on keeping the original HU
Capacitor --- necessary? I don't want lights flickering, system dieing out if pushed
Ported Box/Dynamat/Wiring, etc.

My brother has a system in his e500 -
(2) 12" Audison Hertz Milli Subs, 1 Audison Hertz Amp LRx to the subs (2000 watts?), 1 Audison Hertz HP1D for speakers, (2) Diamond Tweets, Quartz Mid-range speakers, fully dynamat, bass knob

Now his system bumps pretty hard, ultra clean, but sometimes I feel like either his subs don't hit as hard as I would always like them to. Also his system sometimes wont work if it pushed hard, or I'm assuming doesn't receive enough constant juice because I didn't see a Cap. in the back

So based on my review of his setup, I know it may not be as clean, but would my subs and amp hit harder than what he has now?

Which sub will hit the hardest/cleanest in a ported box - 12w7, 13w7, 2 12w6, or 1/2 12" Kicker L7s?
Do I need a cap and the JL cleansweep to run with stock HU?

Stupid question maybe, are subs directional? Because if they are I rather not cut a hole in the armrest for airflow for ported box?

I don't want to sacrifice all of my trunk space, this doesn't seem like it would take to much space?

I plan on having a company do the install.

Sorry for the long post, but any advice would be appreciated

Last edited by BerBer63; 08-29-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:16 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by chubbs032

My Plan/Budget (3,000) =
JL Audio 12w7/13w7, (2) 12w6 v2, or (1/2) Kickler 12" L7 subs
JL Audio Amp 1000:1 or better?
JL Cleansweep (sp?) --- I plan on keeping the original HU
Capacitor --- necessary? I don't want lights flickering, system dieing out if pushed
Ported Box/Dynamat/Wiring, etc.

Which sub will hit the hardest/cleanest in a ported box - 12w7, 13w7, 2 12w6, or 1/2 12" Kicker L7s?
Do I need a cap and the JL cleansweep to run with stock HU?

Stupid question maybe, are subs directional? Because if they are I rather not cut a hole in the armrest for airflow for ported box?

I don't want to sacrifice all of my trunk space, this doesn't seem like it would take to much space?

I plan on having a company do the install.

Sorry for the long post, but any advice would be appreciated
Ok, if you want hard base, you want a ported enclosure, and your going to have to sacrifice trunk space. Definately get the cap. Dont worry about the armrest. Set the port in a bandpass fashion to face the rear of the car and you will be fine.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want clean bass go with sealed enclosure. I was on the same boat wondering if I should go with 1 really high power sub or 2 decent power ones. I chose the route of 2 subs facing the rear of the car. If you are concerned with space look into some shallow mount subs.

If you are going to get the JL cleansweep you should also look into the Alpine H650. I decided to go with the alpine b/c it seems to have more custom tailoring available and the sound quality is really great. You can still use your regular volume knob as well, or use the wireless remote control to tweak sub volume, bass, midrange, and treble.

I'd go with a capacitor if running 2 strong amps. I've got a alpine 100x4 and rockford 500x1 in my cls without a cap and it does fine, but should get one just incase.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Thanks for the help...

Is there a difference between bass/cleaner sound with most all things alike -

1. JL 12w7 sealed/ported enclosure with JL 1000:1v2 Amp
OR JL 13w7 "/" enclosure with JL 1000:1v2 amp

VERSUS

2. (2) Kicker L7 12" sealed/ported enclosure with Same amp or something delivering comparable power (I know it gets split between 2, so assume same amount of power)

Also, from what little I found a Bandpass Box is a cross between sealed/ported and sounds like the box I need for my style....Would these 3 subs fit work in a bandpass box?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:03 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
if you want muddy loud pounding bass, bandpass.

clean tight base is a sealed box

More subs/ more air movement/ more bass. (using the same power)

Talk to your installer on the sub config. Bandpass boxes have to be designed and built to spec, throwing together a box will not get the desired results.

Throw 2 L7's with enough power in a bandpass box and you will be happy.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
What are the best sites to buy audio equipment online at the best prices? PM Me

I've decided on everything except the box, most likely ported but --

1 13w7
JL 1000.1v2 amp
JL cleansweep

What size cap do I need? 1 farad or more?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
you are wasting your money on a cap. read up on them on any good car audio forum (not caraudio.com or sounddomain.com- just a bunch of young punks on there). do the big 3 upgrade and that will more or less cure your flickering lights problem you are worried about. also- you might look into a rockford fosgate 3sixty.1 or 3sixty.2- it works off of the same idea as a cleansweap but adds more tuneability via an EQ and TA. it also has an input for a mp3/iPod (not sure if the cleansweap does).
Old 09-09-2008, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
wasting your money on a cleansweep also... but if you are buying online and not using a shop that is about the best i am going to get into it... if anyone tells you that you need a cleansweep,they don't know that vehicle and it is best to move on... cap is a cap, isn't going to do what you think, but at least it will keep the lights from going nuts. your bro's system sounds like he has the right gear, maybe not the correct install... also let him know the hi-energy components are better than the quarts and less expensive

also a single 10 mille with some mille seperates upfront will give you everything you want... use the audison lrx51k