Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

c200 sports coupe Radio/Antenna + Lock/Unlock Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Sports Coupe (W203)
c200 sports coupe Radio/Antenna + Lock/Unlock Issue

Hi,

I purchased my C200 sports coupe exactly 2 years ago (September 2006) and 4 days ago I decided to go for my first Teflon + Polish at a mercedes benz authorized Valeting centre. I have to admit the guys did a great job on the exterior as well as on the interior of the car. They even cleaned the engine (somehow) and this is something I didn''t know would happen initially.

However, on my way back home I noticed that my radio was unable to tune to any radio station! The preinstalled stations on the Audio20 radio could barely be heard. Sometimes I can hear clearly a radio station but after a few meters I could only hear white noise! It behaves as like there is no antenna installed.

The other thing I noticed once I parked my car was that the central locking system was unable to receive a signal from the remote key from distances longer than 1-2 meters. While I could lock/unlock the car from distances even up to 50-60 meters sometimes more, now after the teflon/polish/engine cleaning procedure, I have to stand closer than 2 meters from the driver''s side pointing the key to the driver''s door in order to lock/unlock the car. I have tested this with both 2 keys. The batteries have been checked as well, and they are fine. Fully charged (3V). It seems that only the infra red can lock/unlock the car.

Looks to me as an antenna wiring issue inside the engine. Perhaps somebody and somehow unplugged a wire inside the engine! Perhaps. It is the only logical explanation to me provided the antenna receives radio signals from the radio stations as well as the key signal to lock/unlock the vehicle. Do you agree? Any ideas? Any thoughts? Any pictures showing something useful? Oh yes. There is no antenna mast mounted on the rear glass window. It seems to be an in-glass (integrated) antenna instead.

I have already booked for an inspection at the Mercedes Benz service centre for the 24th Sep. but untill then I still have 2 weeks to wait unless you guys help me here.

Thanks,

s_liva
Old 09-12-2008, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
You could try pressing the headliner at the antenna amplifier position, if it is about the antenna contacts, pressing the headliner may help the antenna gain contact and improve the reception. The fix is a new amplifier or even a new amplifier and rear window.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:37 AM

05 C230 Sports Sedan, Previously owned an 02 C230 Sports Coupe
I think Diesel Benz is on to something. The amplifier is located within the headliner above the rear window. If they cleaned the rear window with the hatch open water could have gotten to the unit.

This was a typical problem with tinting the windows on a coupe. People were instructing the tint shops to tint the window with the hatch down so that water would not reach the antenna amplifier. This amplifier is for the radio and the central locking system.

Good luck, as I recall, it is cost more than a few dollars.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:50 PM

C200 Sports Coupe (W203)
c200 sports coupe Radio/Antenna + Lock/Unlock Issue Reply to Thread

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
You could try pressing the headliner at the antenna amplifier position, if it is about the antenna contacts, pressing the headliner may help the antenna gain contact and improve the reception. The fix is a new amplifier or even a new amplifier and rear window.
Thanks both of you. Well, I did press the headliner but nothing happenned. I would like to check the wiring. Is their a way to remove the headliner, easily and without breaking something?