Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

How can one get the iPod menu to display on the Nav Screen 08S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Audi A8L
Question How can one get the iPod menu to display on the Nav Screen 08S550

I am thinking of buying a 2008 S550. The iPod adapter does not allow the iPod menu to display on the Nav Screen.
I read about the iPhone adapter AND saw photos on the web - the phone and iPod menu appears on the Nav Screen.
However, when I called wireless4mb, they said that for the US models, the above is NOT possible.
True?
Also, the Denison iceLink Gateway 500 worked beautifully in my old Audi, allowing me to use the central and steering wheel controls.
Does it do the same for an S550?
All input would be appreciated
Old 09-13-2008, 05:53 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Can't specifically address the Denison GW500 on your S, but it works great on the SLK's. Check with Denison, though, as I know there were issues with some of the '08 models - evidently MB has tweaked the MOST bus again.

I believe that if your '08 has the MMI or COMAND NGT2.5, you will get iPod and iPhone integration with the COMAND. Again, I'm not familiar enough with the S class to say for sure.....
Old 09-14-2008, 12:26 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
2008 S is NGT3 and does not support the multimedia ipod kit... furthermore the dension gateway does not work on any of the new platform commands (2.5,3,4) so thats a no-go as well.

The latest telematics update for the S does change the menu functionality and appearance to look like the rest of the new command models which DO support the multimedia interface so it looks good that we may see support for it in the near future. Additionally the S has an aux A/V input which you can use to add an aftermarket kit like the homedock which can then be controlled using the jog wheel and will display on the nav screen.
Attached Thumbnails How can one get the iPod menu to display on the Nav Screen 08S550-mb221ipod_1.jpg  
Old 09-16-2008, 10:27 AM

2008 Mars Red C300 4matic Sport w/P1- MM- Ipod- Leather
Sorry the answer to my question was above, thanks guys
Old 09-16-2008, 01:20 PM

06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
Originally Posted by rob13572468
2008 S is NGT3 and does not support the multimedia ipod kit... furthermore the dension gateway does not work on any of the new platform commands (2.5,3,4) so thats a no-go as well.

The latest telematics update for the S does change the menu functionality and appearance to look like the rest of the new command models which DO support the multimedia interface so it looks good that we may see support for it in the near future. Additionally the S has an aux A/V input which you can use to add an aftermarket kit like the homedock which can then be controlled using the jog wheel and will display on the nav screen.
Rob,

When you say can be controlled by the jog wheel, what do you mean? The big round silver knob in the center console or the wheel on the iPod?

Also, I got my S65 in December, will it not support he new 3G iPhone cradle when it ships?

J
Old 09-17-2008, 06:52 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by jeffreyy
Rob,

When you say can be controlled by the jog wheel, what do you mean? The big round silver knob in the center console or the wheel on the iPod?

Also, I got my S65 in December, will it not support he new 3G iPhone cradle when it ships?

J
The ipod is actually controlled via the silver jog wheel on the center console. We build a special interface that translates the jogwheel commands to control the ipod via a kit called the homedock. (e.g. you spin the jog wheel and the menu scrolls through the songs/artists/albums etc.) It also plays video now as well. Here is a link that shows some video of it in action..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2HGGnCUgzc

As for the iphone cradle, it will work in the S class, the cradle itself should plug right into the phone interface connector in the center console to give you phone functions. ipod functions will have to wait for when MB decides to finally get their new multimedia ipod kit working (probably next year).
Old 10-06-2008, 10:45 PM

'05 S430 4Matic
the new S550 offers a ipod and aux jack in built in the glove box and can be controlled by the steering wheel.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:54 PM

2007 CLK550 Convertible
Question Can I display my iPod menus on the Command for 07 CLK550 Cab?

There seems to be a lot of expertise in this thread.
Is there an update or options available to allow my iPod to display on the COMMAND. The song titles do display on the dash (between the tach & speedo) but would enjoy it much better to have all the menus on the COMMAND.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Maybe this helps:

iCarKits.com
Old 11-11-2008, 07:42 PM

2007 CLK550 Convertible
Thanks Mackhack.
I failed to make it clear in my original message that I have the factory MB iPod integration already installed in the glove box. I just need to decide whether $700 is worth getting the display/menu options on the COMAND.

Also, would/could this void my warranty?

Thank again!!

Last edited by ddanielcigars; 11-11-2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 AM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by ddanielcigars
Thanks Mackhack.
I failed to make it clear in my original message that I have the factory MB iPod integration already installed in the glove box. I just need to decide whether $700 is worth getting the display/menu options on the COMAND.

Also, would/could this void my warranty?

Thank again!!
Depends on the kit, and in general, in the US, MB would have to "prove" that your aftermarket mod caused the damage to reject a warranty claim.

I've gone four different routes now - one aftermarket HU replace, one D2B fiber kit on a A10 HU (so control via steering, but no text display), one MB kit (early kit - crap quality audio), and Denison GW500 in my SLK w/COMAND.

I still have the C, and it's not a big deal to use the iPod or the steering controls to use it. On the SLK, being able to keep the iPod locked out of site with the top down is a big plus. Sound quality on the GW500 is superb, but I've been told that the later MB kits fixed the limited audio input via AUX sound quality issues.