Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Hardwiring V1 - fuse question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
Hardwiring V1 - fuse question

I'm attempting to hardwire a V1 into my 09 C63. In my past vehicles I've simply used the "add a fuse" adapter and its worked fine. The only issue is that the most convenient fuse panel to access does not have many fuses there (3) and the ones there aren't good ones to use.

My question is there are numerous unused fuse slots in this panel. On the fuse panel diagram, it lists a "A/C rear compartment" fuse which I do not have so that slot is empty. Can I simply use this slot for my "add a fuse"? Normally it piggybacks off some other fuse.

My other option is to access the fuse panel in the engine compartment, or just use the 12v slot in my glovebox and run the wires. It would just be much simpler by using the driver's side fuse box.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by Shellbmb
I'm attempting to hardwire a V1 into my 09 C63. In my past vehicles I've simply used the "add a fuse" adapter and its worked fine. The only issue is that the most convenient fuse panel to access does not have many fuses there (3) and the ones there aren't good ones to use.

My question is there are numerous unused fuse slots in this panel. On the fuse panel diagram, it lists a "A/C rear compartment" fuse which I do not have so that slot is empty. Can I simply use this slot for my "add a fuse"? Normally it piggybacks off some other fuse.

My other option is to access the fuse panel in the engine compartment, or just use the 12v slot in my glovebox and run the wires. It would just be much simpler by using the driver's side fuse box.

Thanks.
Hey Shellbmb, usually MB does not leave a "real" fuse holder in a spot for an option that's not installed - or at least they do not on the SLK - it's just a empty slot. You can get a plastic fuse holder from MB to replace the "blank" spot, and then wire directly to it. I've got the part numbers for the SLK fuse holders squirreled away somewhere, let me know if you want them. I picked up a couple from the guys in the service department just for asking...
Old 01-04-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
Originally Posted by UK-C200
Hey Shellbmb, usually MB does not leave a "real" fuse holder in a spot for an option that's not installed - or at least they do not on the SLK - it's just a empty slot. You can get a plastic fuse holder from MB to replace the "blank" spot, and then wire directly to it. I've got the part numbers for the SLK fuse holders squirreled away somewhere, let me know if you want them. I picked up a couple from the guys in the service department just for asking...
Ok, good idea. Next time I'm in I ask them about getting one.

I did inquire at the dealer about having them install it, but they quoted me 2400 us dollars!! Uh, no.

I was able to run the wire from the glove box to the area left of the rear view mirror where I wanted it. So its a clean install currently, but I lost the use of the 12v socket in the glove box. No biggie for now.

It actually might be pretty easy to run a 14-16 guage wire from the rear fuse box to the passenger side kick panel. We'll see.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by Shellbmb
Ok, good idea. Next time I'm in I ask them about getting one.

I did inquire at the dealer about having them install it, but they quoted me 2400 us dollars!! Uh, no.

I was able to run the wire from the glove box to the area left of the rear view mirror where I wanted it. So its a clean install currently, but I lost the use of the 12v socket in the glove box. No biggie for now.

It actually might be pretty easy to run a 14-16 guage wire from the rear fuse box to the passenger side kick panel. We'll see.

Thanks for the info.
Jeese - $2400 is a bit insane, even for Austin! Hope you have done the cruise around the hill country - there are some awesome roads with great views.

On the SLK, it was a bit hit or miss - it's such a small cockpit anyway, running wires from one side to the others just not that hard. We have a cig socket in the passenger footwell, and a lot of people just tap that feed.

I happened to be chatting with a friendly guy at the dealership in Louisiana, and he give me the parts to "add" a socket to the fuse box. Super clean, but to be honest, not that much better than a "add a circuit" if you have one..