Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Help, subwoofer enclosure help! Please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 - W163
Help, subwoofer enclosure help! Please help!

I bought 2 12" JL 12W7 subwoofers, one JL Audio 1000/1 Amp, and 4MB Quart RSC216 Speakers, along with an Alpine IVA-C801 LCD headunit. Now i need a subwoofer enclosure. I want a custom look, but i dont wanna spend 2-8 grand on custom work done. So i was on the sound domain website and saw nice plexiglass enclosures from a company called R/T. has anyone had any experience with them? do you think its cheap quality to handle my thumping system? should i just go with the normal enclosures from them? here is what i want...
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/RTE90012

or should i just go simple and get these?
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/RTE32612

Thanks!

-Vik
Old 01-23-2003, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S600 Coupe. 560SEC, E55
I'm not an expert, but I think you should check a couple of things. What kind of sound do you want from these speakers? I think it would be a waste to put the w7's in a band pass box. They would be loud as hell and you could give nearby pedestrians diarrhea, but to get the best sound quality, they need to be in the right size sealed or ported box. A small error in enclosure size will ruin the sound. Check JL Audio for the box spec's before you buy. A sealed box will give tighter, punch, while a ported box is louder and boomier. You bought great stuff, finish the research for great sound.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
I agree with Mark. I'd say, do a custom install, and it won't cost you more than 1K... ask yourself, do you really need a spare tire?