Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Bass in W203

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C240 4Matic
Bass in W203

I have an 05 C240 4atic and getting ready to put in a Pioneer D3 with all the fixin but now am looking for a way to get bass into the car. Anyone have ideas or suggestion? Not looking for a show piece, just something that works and clean.

Thanks guys...
Old 02-24-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
i am in the same boat my friend. however i am not looking to take up any trunk space, so i might be SOL.

i am thinking of just replacing the stock speakers and adding a 4 channel amp. i heard that a lot less bass makes it into the cabin with our cars than compared to others and i actually use my trunk so putting a couple of 12's back there is not an option for me at this point.

but i would be curious what others have to say bc i am not happy with the stock speakers at this point. i spent all this money to have dvds playing and now the stock speakers are ruining the fun for me. oh well, thats how modding goes right, one thing leads to another until you are broke
Old 02-24-2009, 02:51 PM

2005 C240 4Matic
Originally Posted by sleewell
i am in the same boat my friend. however i am not looking to take up any trunk space, so i might be SOL.

i am thinking of just replacing the stock speakers and adding a 4 channel amp. i heard that a lot less bass makes it into the cabin with our cars than compared to others and i actually use my trunk so putting a couple of 12's back there is not an option for me at this point.

but i would be curious what others have to say bc i am not happy with the stock speakers at this point. i spent all this money to have dvds playing and now the stock speakers are ruining the fun for me. oh well, thats how modding goes right, one thing leads to another until you are broke
I need my trunk... no wait... I will have a trunk or off with my head as per my wife. I can use up some space maybe the top or the one right against the rear seat but that is all.

But I am hoping someone will show us an idea or two.

thanks guys for looking....
Old 02-25-2009, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...a panty dropper...
What I did was bought a JL Audio 8W7 and had it custom box mounted directly behind the rear passenger arm rest and had the hard plastic piece on the arm rest cut out but then covered back up with speaker cloth matching the plastic color. I am using a Kenwood 1300W amp to power the sub and it adds plenty of bass. It doesnt take up much trunk space either, I can still access my spare tire with ease and have trunk space for other random things.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:44 AM

2011 E350 4matic
^ i would love to see some pics of that, sounds pretty cool. does the amp only power the sub or the other speakers as well?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 AM

2011 E350 4matic
that looks great, and it doesnt take up nearly the trunk space i was picturing a speaker of that size would eat up. very nice job in the install, i bet it sounds great. now my next question is; what about the amp?
Old 02-25-2009, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Originally Posted by sleewell
that looks great, and it doesnt take up nearly the trunk space i was picturing a speaker of that size would eat up. very nice job in the install, i bet it sounds great. now my next question is; what about the amp?
It sounds pretty good. It's a 12" and the amp is on the opposite side, but closer to the back seats as opposed to the rear of the car. The spot that i've got my speaker in is just wasted space anyway. It's just an empty crevice.

Its not that hard to fabricate if you can work with fiberglass. I mean it doesn't give you thundering bass or anything but its a hell of an improvement over stock.

Last edited by Ryanr317; 02-25-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 PM

99 F350
The best solution is to have a box mounted to the underside of the rear deck. The rear deck will also need to be vented to get the bass into the passenger cabin. The box will take up the least amount of usable space and will give the best sound quality.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
Actually, what will sound the best (assuming you use the correct driver for this application) and take up the least amount of space, is running an IB setup that is hung from the back deck. However doing a correct IB setup may be more than what the average Joe is willing to do.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:57 PM

2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by CT Customs
The best solution is to have a box mounted to the underside of the rear deck. The rear deck will also need to be vented to get the bass into the passenger cabin. The box will take up the least amount of usable space and will give the best sound quality.

have any pics of this type of setup? also what would be a ballpark price range for decent brands installed?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:15 PM

2005 C240 4Matic
Originally Posted by BigBodyBenzC240
What I did was bought a JL Audio 8W7 and had it custom box mounted directly behind the rear passenger arm rest and had the hard plastic piece on the arm rest cut out but then covered back up with speaker cloth matching the plastic color. I am using a Kenwood 1300W amp to power the sub and it adds plenty of bass. It doesnt take up much trunk space either, I can still access my spare tire with ease and have trunk space for other random things.
Any pic would be greatfully appreciated. I just picked up a D3 and now looking at speakers for the doors, sub and amp... and then how to make use of everything...

thanks !!!