Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Adding satellite radio to COMAND system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190 2.3 and C320
Adding satellite radio to COMAND system

If I were to add an after market satellite radio to my COMAND system, should I rely on the AUX function on COMAND or use an FM frequency modulator device? Thanks for your help!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
AUX should do...It is there for a certain reason...why not use it .

greetingz,
Old 01-27-2003, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Todd originally used an FM modulator with a Sony XM radio because neither he nor the installers knew about the AUX input. When he found out about it, had had it changed. He reported much better sound quality using the AUX input.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
...........you cannot use the AUX input. The audio output terminal from XM radios is not RCA or the 1/8 plug. It is an antenna ouput. I think I'm correct in saying that you have to use an FM modulator. This is how I did mine and the sound is CD quality.

Ted
Old 01-27-2003, 06:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK55 Designo Espresso
Sony XM PnP

works fine in my car using the AUX. jack, instead of using the cassette adapter you use a mini plug with two male ends. works like a charm. I love XM.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
works fine in my car using the AUX. jack, instead of using the cassette adapter you use a mini plug with two male ends. works like a charm. I love XM.

.............You are talking about the bulky XM receivers such as the Sony or the delphi. They sit on your dash and have to be connected to your stereo via a cassette adapter using a miniplug. You can plug the miniplug directly into the AUx of the comand. But most prefer the hide away units that you don't see such as the pioneer or the Alpine. Those have to be connected via an FM modulator. Very nice sety up because it is sleek and all you see is the FM modulator display.

Ted
Old 01-28-2003, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by Ted Baldwin

.............You are talking about the bulky XM receivers such as the Sony or the delphi. They sit on your dash and have to be connected to your stereo via a cassette adapter using a miniplug. You can plug the miniplug directly into the AUx of the comand. But most prefer the hide away units that you don't see such as the pioneer or the Alpine. Those have to be connected via an FM modulator. Very nice sety up because it is sleek and all you see is the FM modulator display.

Ted
The Pioneer GEX-FM903XM has line level outputs so you can hook it directly to the AUX input on COMAND. Clarion, Jensen and Panasonic also make line-level output receivers for Sirius, but you probably don't want Sirius because they don't play commercials.

Although you may not be able to hear the difference from the FM modulated units to the line-level inputs, I prefer the cleaner sound using the AUX input.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 01-28-2003 at 12:39 AM.