Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Not sure what I did - buzzing sound and fade is screwy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Not sure what I did - buzzing sound and fade is screwy

I'm at a loss for what I did wrong. I just "finished" part of my radio upgrade. I originally only wanted to add a sub, but since I had no way to get line level outputs for an amp and I would either have to use a converter or run speaker level inputs into an amp I jus decided to go ahead and upgrade everything. I do not have Harmon Kardon and I am keeping the factory radio (because I hate the way aftermarket radios look in newer vehicles with a non-standard radio size). I went with Infinity Kappa speakers and a Pioneer 6400F amp (since it has the speaker level input). I spent all of Saturday taking the car apart and installing the speakers in the doors and running the wiring. I cut the speaker wires to the doors on the door side of the connectors and then ran the side from the radio to the amp input and the side for the speaker to the amp output. Since I had to do it this way, there are speaker wires running up both sides of the car so I had no choice but to run the power cable by at least some of them. I used 4ga. power wire run down the passenger side and into the trunk, I realized after I bought it that 4ga may have been overkill but so is the sub so I wanted to be safe. So now for my problems.

The fade/balance does not work properly. When I fade to the full front or rear only one speaker stops putting out sound, not both the front or both the rear. When I do balance (IIRC) one of the speakers on the one side and one on the other side go out. And if I do full balance and fade at one time two speakers still output sound. Even if I got the front/rear speakers on one side backwards, I don't understand how this is doing what it's doing. I never played with the balance/fade before I touched anything so I don't know if it was doing this before or not. I didn't make detailed notes about which speakers go out when the fade/balance is in what location because I was kinda pissed that this isn't going to be done this weekend now.

Now my other problem is, I have a buzzing/whining/annoying-as-hell type sound ONLY when the engine is running. I figure this is caused by the power wire running down with some of the speaker wires, but the strange part is only the RF and LR speakers are making the buzzing sound. It's definately too annoying to deal with since the volume of the sound doesn't change with the volume of the music so if I mute the radio or have the volume down low I can hear it.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I'm pretty annoyed with this since I've done a few installs before and never had any problems like this.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
No one has any ideas? I drove the car today and I cannot deal with that buzzing/ringing noise.