Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Help: Accidently changed Comand APS version from Euro to US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls 350
Help: Accidently changed Comand APS version from Euro to US

Hi all,
I have accidently changed my comand aps version from ECE Euro version to USA version. Initially my headunit sw version is SW-Rel 9.390 Build 17/04 (part no W211 589 06 22 00). I was able to access to the engineering mode and the hidden menu as well. I was also able to unlock my comand to play DVD in motion and enable mp3.

However, about 2 weeks ago I accidently pressed the format flash option while in the engineering mode. After the format when I restart the ignition, my comand stuck in the software update screen. Even after the car key is taken out, the comand refused to turn off and keep displaying the software update screen. I believed some other user had experience this scenario before. ( pls refer https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/71801-my-mp3-upgrade-pictures-2.html )

I become panicked as I am afraid that I won’t be able to start the car if something is not done to correct the problem as the comand will used up all the car battery power. Unfortunately, this incident happens on Saturday night where the Mercedes service center in my country (Malaysia) is closed on Sunday and only open on Monday.
So I turned to the web to search for solution. I found a firmware compatible for my car W219 from a torrent site with the part no W211 589 14 22 00. Without caring about the firmware version (as I am more concern about the car battery at that moment) I downloaded it and install into my comand on Sunday morning. The installation completed smoothly and my comand worked again. However, I have lost the DVD feature with this firmware. When I press the Video button, instead of DVD, the comand is now showing Satellite Radio. Other features are functioning (including NAVI) except in SERV, a few options are gone eg: System option.

So immediately on Monday morning, I visited the Mercedes service center and told them my problem. The mechanic there tried to install the Euro version SW-REL 21.090 30/06 (part no W211 589 13 22 00) but is rejected by the comand with a message “Wrong Variant” (He pressed “1+3+8” to access the update mode).
Until now (after more than 10 days of trying) I am still stuck with this US version. I have tried using Developer Mode DAS (STAR DIAGNOSIS) to tried flash the comand unit but without success. I have tried the Control Unit Programming in the DAS Developer, but receive a message that sounded like “This Control Unit cannot be programmed using DAS but Service Update CD programming is possible”

I have also tried to format the flash again via the Engineering Mode (this time with a new combination keys since the “SERV + Mute + Hangup” is no longer working) but the comand did not turn to Software Update screen as before with the older firmware. It seems like the comand will reinstall itself after restart.
I have run out of idea on how to install ECE Euro version back into my comand. I hope there are experts out there who can advise me on how to solve this problem. Thanks.

PS: To access engineering mode for sw version 46/06, press SERV then LANG softkey and immediately press “Hangup + Diagonal Upper Left Arrow + Audio”

Last edited by kennytct; 05-18-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Almost a Member!

W211
Hope this works for you and solve the problem.

Press and hold 5, followed by 3,7 (hold them also) until you get that MODEL screen. Once there choose w211ECE, then press the [KEYBOARD] softkey and make sure the keyboard is also set to w211ECE or VARIANT SPECIFIC.

For the change to take effect, you must walk away from the car and allow it to "sleep" for a few minutes (5 usually works), then come back to the car and everything should be fine.

Tell us how it comes out and Good Luck!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 AM

cls 350
Thank you cocacola for trying to help. Actually i have tried the code you mentioned before this but still no luck.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:05 PM

2004 E55 AMG (USA)
Anyone figure this one out yet??

I need to change my model back to Euro version. We really need to figure this one out because I've lost the ability to play DVD. I've tried updating the firmware with a Euro Update Disc but it won't accept it.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:13 AM

w211 270cdi
Any update on the situation? Happened exactly the same to me as to kennytct.