Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

bose sub question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SLK Special Edition
bose sub question

I'm thinking of putting an afternarkt sub in my coupe. I have the Bose system. Does anybody know if this is possible? I'm asking because I thought that the sub ran off of a fiber optic line, so I wasn't sure if it would be possible to remove the old bose unit and get an aftermarket sub and amp. Can this be done?
Old 02-10-2003, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fiber optics stop at the amp. Copper wire is used from the amp to the speakers. Keep in mind that Bose uses a weird impedance for there speakers, something like 2.4 ohm. A good stereo shop can give you advice on what you need. A store near me gave me an estimate, but I decided not to do it because I don't want a big box taking up space in the back of the car.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo V90 CC
It is easy, all you need is a High signal to low signal filter (it goes from speaker output to RCA), bring your RCAs to an aftermarket amp (with integrated crossover) and hook up your boom box, my electronic guy got me a signal filter that automatically provides remote signal to the amp for on and off, so I only had to run power (from the battery) and ground (I did it from hte battery as well).